The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Scroll to see replies

Well I'm actually mixed race, my dad is white and my mum is from Zambia. But I think in Canada, especially Toronto, it might be different because there are sooo many people of different races, religions and cultures living in the city.
They are cool with every other race except black.Even mixed race is fine but not black.

I dont like black girls at all so its all good anyway.They're ugly imo.
Original post by boba
my parents wouldn't care about someone of a different race they would be uneasy if it was someone really religious though so they might want to know if that was the case. say if they were asian ask if they were strict muslim or from south america strict christian.

Yeah, but if they were a strict muslim they wouldn't date anyway.
Reply 23
No. My parents are white.
Reply 24
Original post by merryhappy
Yeah, but if they were a strict muslim they wouldn't date anyway.

I suppose but my point really wasn't about muslims anyway it was just an example...

edit: plus I'm pretty sure that a REALLY strict Christian wouldn't date me either but you can not be so strict that you wouldn't date and still be strict enough to make my parents feel uneasy, especially as lots of people pick and choose which parts of there religion they think are important to follow strictly so they would still worry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Would be a bit hypocritical if they were
Reply 26
well im black and my parents looked shocked when i said i wouldnt mind marrying a korean dude that loves me. But i dont really care, i would still do it.
Original post by effofex
Well - it depends on the racial group surely? If the racial group which you are from has a recent history of violence with the racial group which your prospective partner is from then it could pose a few problems.

e.g. German male & English female.

Did you really just say that?
Reply 28
I have never done so, but I know my parents would be a bit funny about it. My dad especially, he's a proper stick in the mud!
That wouldn't stop me though :biggrin: it's my choice and if I ever end up with someone of a different race my parents may deal with it lol!
Never dated outside my race but I know for sure they wouldn't have a problem.

My best female friend is going out with an asian guy. They came round a few months ago and when he left it was followed by roughly 10 minutes of my mum and sister talking about how handsome he was. Then my dad said to my friend "got yourself a decent guy there" :s-smilie: I had no idea what was going on but based on that reaction I can't see them having a problem with me being in a relationship with another race.

That and the fact if my Dad had a problem with me dating outside my race my granddad would kill him. Given how anti-racist he is, (when he served in the army he served with some people from India I think) I can't see how my Dad would be in any way racist.

My parents have never said a racist word in the 20 years I've known them and if they did I would be extremely disappointed in them.
Reply 30
nope mine don't care
Reply 31
My mum wouldn't care at all :smile: Don't live with 'Dad'. My grandparents however, would probably have a fit about it.
Reply 32
I dated a white girl. When my family found out ... **** me a storm occurred in my house
Reply 33
lol, no. I don't have racist helicopter parents. They love my guy. :]

I am white British, he is mixed-race Brazilian (as basically every Brazilian is.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by merryhappy
I'm asian, and my boyfriend is white. My parents would go CRAZY if they knew, but that's becuase their bigots and racist. My boyfriends parents are a little aprehensive about it (we think it's becuase I'm a muslim) but they don't say anything.

Did your parents neg you for the above post?
Reply 35
Original post by Ich Dien
My mums German, shes had one Scottish and one English husband.

And we dont live in Cyrodill for christ sake. Its modern times....

hahaha, hardly mixed race though is it? More mixed cultures
Reply 36
My parents would not object to me being in a relationship be it a simple date or a marriage outside my race. I should hope they wouldn't
Original post by /raees.rahim
Don't care as long as they're not black.

why not 'black' people?
Reply 38
I've never had any problems with either set of parents, I'm white, non-white girlfriends have been Chinese and Indian. All non-religious though, which might be the key...
I never have so I don't know. :dontknow:
I doubt they'd have a problem with it though.

Why the neg? :curious: Race threads on this forum do strange things to people...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending