The Student Room Group

This is killing me - please help

Anon or Delete, don't want anyone from my uni or my boyfriend recognising me

I'm a 1st year undergrad trainee teacher doing my first placement in a school around 40 miles from my university (where i live in halls), however because i can't drive the uni have organised transport, which involves being picked up from the uni at 6.15am, getting a 6.57am train, then getting another 8.05am train which gets me to the village for 8.15am then i walk the rest of the way to get me in for 8.30am. In the evening i get picked up from the school at 4.30pm and taken to the train station to catch the 5.47pm, once i get off this i walk round to another train station, were i catch the 7.05pm train. This gets me into the town for 7.15pm where i then wait for the 7.20pm bus which gets me back to uni for 7.30pm. Once i've eaten, showered, brushed my teeth and hair its 9pm, which means i'm doing 16hr days as i have to be up at 5.30am.

There have been a number of issues with the taxis, including lateness and not turning up, erratic driving which left me with whiplash, and drivers taking me to the wrong station. The uni have been very helpful in trying to address this but as yet many problems still remain, however the stress for me is putting a major strain on my relationships:

My boyfriend has been meeting me outside my hall and then cooking for me in the evening. Apparently on Thursday evening we discussed going out today for lunch as a treat. I don't remember this conversation, so happily went about my normal Sunday business. He'd already booked the table, and when he rung to ask me if i was ready i'd already eaten and was still in my pyjamas. We fell out about the conversation and then he cancelled the table, which the restaurant charged him for. Now he won't answer his phone to me, and my mum tells me that i rung her from the station on Wednesday night in tears which i also don't remember, and now i'm really worried.

I'm not really sure what i want from TSR, but i've written it down and that seems to help.

TL;DR On placement, doing 16hr days. Many problems with the taxis that pick me up, due to the stress fell out with my boyfriend about a booking of a table we organised the other night which i don't remember. Now been told i rung my mum in tears the other night from the train station. Which i also don't remember.
Reply 1
You have memory loss then?
Reply 2
Stop forgetting stuff by growing brain cells
You sound overtired.
Original post by The TSR Star.
You sound overtired.

Holy **** I think you might be right D:
Original post by Anonymous

I'm a 1st year undergrad trainee teacher doing my first placement in a school around 40 miles from my university (where i live in halls), however because i can't drive the uni have organised transport, which involves being picked up from the uni at 6.15am, getting a 6.57am train, then getting another 8.05am train which gets me to the village for 8.15am then i walk the rest of the way to get me in for 8.30am. In the evening i get picked up from the school at 4.30pm and taken to the train station to catch the 5.47pm, once i get off this i walk round to another train station, were i catch the 7.05pm train. This gets me into the town for 7.15pm where i then wait for the 7.20pm bus which gets me back to uni for 7.30pm. Once i've eaten, showered, brushed my teeth and hair its 9pm, which means i'm doing 16hr days as i have to be up at 5.30am.

There have been a number of issues with the taxis, including lateness and not turning up, erratic driving which left me with whiplash, and drivers taking me to the wrong station. The uni have been very helpful in trying to address this but as yet many problems still remain, however the stress for me is putting a major strain on my relationships:

My boyfriend has been meeting me outside my hall and then cooking for me in the evening. Apparently on Thursday evening we discussed going out today for lunch as a treat. I don't remember this conversation, so happily went about my normal Sunday business. He'd already booked the table, and when he rung to ask me if i was ready i'd already eaten and was still in my pyjamas. We fell out about the conversation and then he cancelled the table, which the restaurant charged him for. Now he won't answer his phone to me, and my mum tells me that i rung her from the station on Wednesday night in tears which i also don't remember, and now i'm really worried.

I'm not really sure what i want from TSR, but i've written it down and that seems to help.

TL;DR On placement, doing 16hr days. Many problems with the taxis that pick me up, due to the stress fell out with my boyfriend about a booking of a table we organised the other night which i don't remember. Now been told i rung my mum in tears the other night from the train station. Which i also don't remember.

As I am sure you already know, this is having a massive effect on your health, relationship and life!

There are three things I would recommend, but in no particular order. Firstly, you need to speak to your university. Tell them what you have told TSR, or at least an overview, and they should sort it out. I am struggling to find words, but this is a very serious situation.

Secondly, you need to make time to go to the doctors. You need a general check-up, to make sure that your health hasn't been affected too badly, and more importantly, to get any health problem's sorted out. I assume you are not sleeping well, therefore feeling fatigue, tiredness and of course memory loss.

Thirdly, talk to your boyfriend. You don't need to tell him everything in detail, just explain to him how you have been feeling. Apologise for the other week, as it is indirectly your fault (though it is actually the fault of your heavy schedule). Tell him that you love him (or care about him, I don't know if you are the 'love' stage yet).

When you have done these three things, things should start coming together. No matter what, 16 hour days are too much. You need time to yourself, time to relax, and you are not getting it.

Good luck, and remember, things will get better :smile:
Original post by TomMcCarthy

+rep :smile:
Original post by TomMcCarthy

My post was better than "omg, grow brain cells" or whatever.
Original post by The TSR Star.
My post was better than "omg, grow brain cells" or whatever.

It was more because you stated the obvious, but yes that is true!
Reply 9
Simply too tired, imo.
Original post by Anonymous

You're overworked and over tired, tell the uni your stiuation. Go to the GP and get some help re memory loss, tiredness etc.

AND TALK TO YOUR BF, he'll understand. Just tell him what you've told us.

I hope things get better.
Reply 11
Original post by paul_blakeman
As I am sure you already know, this is having a massive effect on your health, relationship and life!

There are three things I would recommend, but in no particular order. Firstly, you need to speak to your university. Tell them what you have told TSR, or at least an overview, and they should sort it out. I am struggling to find words, but this is a very serious situation.

Secondly, you need to make time to go to the doctors. You need a general check-up, to make sure that your health hasn't been affected too badly, and more importantly, to get any health problem's sorted out. I assume you are not sleeping well, therefore feeling fatigue, tiredness and of course memory loss.

Thirdly, talk to your boyfriend. You don't need to tell him everything in detail, just explain to him how you have been feeling. Apologise for the other week, as it is indirectly your fault (though it is actually the fault of your heavy schedule). Tell him that you love him (or care about him, I don't know if you are the 'love' stage yet).

When you have done these three things, things should start coming together. No matter what, 16 hour days are too much. You need time to yourself, time to relax, and you are not getting it.

Good luck, and remember, things will get better :smile:

Thanks for the post and sensible reply! +1 (not sure if your bothered by rep tho)

I explained to my boyfriend, and he's now forgiven me and is helping me to contact the right people at uni to solve my situation. He's also made me see the nurse who has advised me to have a few days off placement to help recover and she is now also involved in making sure i'm not donig 16hr days.

Things are looking up and thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending