The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fruitfan
Thankyou 'too sexy for my stethoscope' , 'twelve' and 'firestar101'
I will look into those places. I live in alexandria. Thank you

TIP
Take the work experience! Make sure that they KNOW you're willing to also be employed by them and that they have your contact details 'in case any opportunities arise in the future'
It'll get you contacts within the places love :smile:
Original post by laurenl93
Aberdeens feedback was so bad they sent the same rejection letter to pre and post rejections

Wuuuuuuuuuuuut??

Aberdeen's feedback was terrible I agree. It was patronising and kind of rude. They basically said do something else and you will have an excellent degree even if you decide to reapply postgrad and still dont get in. They didnt really support a gap year.

It has made me wonder whether I even want to go there anymore.
I really want to go there, but I'm not applying to any of y old applications. Fresh start n' stuff :cool:
St Andrews feedback was alright however everyone seem to get different amounts in different depth, mine was basically 'you were rated very high but NOT QUITE FRICKING EXCELLENT. Oh & you had a ****e ukcat & you're lucky you even got an interview with that"

Bastard ukcat.
Was Aberdeen your numero uno?

So ur not reapplying to deen?

aberdeen was my third or fourth choice BUT i would have loved a place anywhere!
Reply 1603
I'm a re-applicant too, I've no idea where I want to apply, am completely crapping it because I hated the UKCAT last time, am procrastinating even though I know I need to ace these exams and have still not sorted out what I want to do during my gap year. Gap medics looks good but I'll have to scrimp and save for so long! Plus I get an icky feeling every time I think about university. Bleh.
Soooooo, anybody know where they want to apply yet? I loved St. Andrews and got an interview last year but I'm not sure I like the social life aspect of it, so still quite confused. Oh, and I still need to get feedback from St. Andrews ¬¬
Original post by garlicbreadman
So ur not reapplying to deen?

aberdeen was my third or fourth choice BUT i would have loved a place anywhere!

Tbh I don't care where I go, I wanna do medicine & I'm the type who would be happy making friends anywhere I go. When I reapply this year I'm putting one uni I know I adore (QUB) and then the other three will be unis that would wanna bum my credentials and give me an interview :sexface:

Any idea where you would LIKR to appt if the ukcat doesn't get in the way?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by me...x
I'm a re-applicant too, I've no idea where I want to apply, am completely crapping it because I hated the UKCAT last time, am procrastinating even though I know I need to ace these exams and have still not sorted out what I want to do during my gap year. Gap medics looks good but I'll have to scrimp and save for so long! Plus I get an icky feeling every time I think about university. Bleh.
Soooooo, anybody know where they want to apply yet? I loved St. Andrews and got an interview last year but I'm not sure I like the social life aspect of it, so still quite confused. Oh, and I still need to get feedback from St. Andrews ¬¬

Sounds like me exactly from the exams to the ukcat to the getting feedback from st andrews, only thing is Im not fussed about social aspect
Reply 1606
Original post by me...x

Ahh god knows really.

I need to start ordering prospectuses (prospecti?) and stuff. And booking UKCAT. And looking for MORE jobs to apply for. And doing more revision for examssss :eek:

I'm not enjoying my gap year yet :frown:
Re-applicant too
Wow this thread seems to have grown out of nowhere
When are people resitting their ukcat and what kind of prep are they doing?
Is it better to resiit earlier or later and why?
and does anyone know where i can get a 600 q book dead cheap?
Aberdeens feedback was so bad they sent the same rejection letter to pre and post rejections

Wuuuuuuuuuuuut??

Haha i got the same rejection letter from Aberdeen, it was pre but i had to email them to be more specific then they basically said it was the UKCAT
Original post by joemullally
Re-applicant too

Woah loads of questions lol
i'm gonna book my ukcat for end of august/start of sept
i'm doing all the questions i can lay my hands on basically
by resits do you mean a levels..? how come you know already that you're going to resit???
Amazon or ask someone at your school with a med place that won't be needing theirs :smile:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
by resits do you mean a levels..? how come you know already that you're going to resit???
Amazon or ask someone at your school with a med place that won't be needing theirs :smile:

nah i mean resiting UKCAT
The only person at my college who bought the book still uses it as he got 4 rejections too
I'll ask about though
nah i mean resiting UKCAT
The only person at my college who bought the book still uses it as he got 4 rejections too
I'll ask about though

When to sit the UKCAT depends on you though, if you want loads of prep time and already have an idea of the unis you wanna appy to then later. But i'd say the UKCAT decides for you so you'd wanna do it early but still allow enough time for prep so that you can make your choices after and tailor your personal statement to suit them
& most people who sell their copies on amazon/ebay applied for med before and don't need them anymore so it's the same thing online
When to sit the UKCAT depends on you though, if you want loads of prep time and already have an idea of the unis you wanna appy to then later. But i'd say the UKCAT decides for you so you'd wanna do it early but still allow enough time for prep so that you can make your choices after and tailor your personal statement to suit them
& most people who sell their copies on amazon/ebay applied for med before and don't need them anymore so it's the same thing online

Shweet
and i know where i want to apply but if i chill too much over summer i may not be in like a revision kind of mode by the end of summer
I think i'm gonna get it out of the way
Registrations open now is it the same price as last year?
Shweet
and i know where i want to apply but if i chill too much over summer i may not be in like a revision kind of mode by the end of summer
I think i'm gonna get it out of the way
Registrations open now is it the same price as last year?

Oh I get you.
Yeah it's the same price as last year
Wanted to register yesterday but it turns out you don't need to register again, just book another exam for this cycle i think..
Reply 1614
Re-applicant too

I think i'll be doing as soon as possible after exams. Maybe even the first week after exams are over.

Prep will be the same as last year - just look through the 600 questions book, doing as many questions as possible. And i suppose try to find a way of staying awake for the full 2 hours this time...

I think it's probably better to take the UKCAT as soon as possible after exams (definitely before results day), so when you get results in August you'll know where you stand. Many uni's have UKCAT cut-offs, so you'll know where you can or cannot apply.

I got the 600Q book from amazon.co.uk, but if you're looking to get it a bit cheaper, try eBay or better yet see if anyone who's already applied for medicine and no longer needs the book is willing to sell you it? I know at our school a lot of people in my year who got in for medicine sold their books to next year's hopeful medics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1615

dammit, missed your post :ashamed2:
Original post by -Taz-
dammit, missed your post :ashamed2:

lol i thought that too when i saw it, never mind though :smile:
Saw that you wanna take the UKCAT before results day, doesn't that give you like 2 weeks max?? :s-smilie:
Or are you planning to prepare for it during exam period?
Reply 1617
lol i thought that too when i saw it, never mind though :smile:
Saw that you wanna take the UKCAT before results day, doesn't that give you like 2 weeks max?? :s-smilie:
Or are you planning to prepare for it during exam period?

All 5 of my exams will be over by the end of June, so i've got all of July free :smile:
Original post by -Taz-
All 5 of my exams will be over by the end of June, so i've got all of July free :smile:

Lol in my hurried frenzy trying to get gap year planned/choice of unis/revise for exams/ukcat prep i forgot we have July! :doh:
Well that changes things slightly and makes my previous post look abit dumb
Ah well.. :rolleyes:
Reply 1619
i got a general one from aberdeen and Glasgow's not even replied. Never applying Scotland again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending