The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3300
Nannies (so people with more significant training than au pairs/childminders etc.) are expensive - I think London fulltime would be >£30,000 per year.
Original post by Captain Crash
Were you there?

Nope, I heard her say very similar things at a conference earlier this year.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Nope, I heard her say very similar things at a conference earlier this year.

She must get around :tongue:
She must get around :tongue:

Makes a point of how few women are high up in surgery, I guess. Did she talk about how she has a cleaner and a nanny, so that she never has to do any housework? Just comes home from work and plays with her kids... I recall her saying that to start with she was paying out 100% of her salary to the nanny, and now it's ~5%.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
If in a paper there's a score that measures from 0-20, is that ordinal or continuous?

And what ways could you statistically test the data if it was ordinal or continuous?

Continuous would be if you could have any number between 0-20, for example 6.5 or 14.327. Ordinal would mean you could only have the whole numbers 0-20 because 0-20 represented some sort of a hierarchical scale.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Makes a point of how few women are high up in surgery, I guess. Did she talk about how she has a cleaner and a nanny, so that she never has to do any housework? Just comes home from work and plays with her kids... I recall her saying that to start with she was paying out 100% of her salary to the nanny, and now it's ~5%.

Well she is the head of 'Women in Surgery' but I would have thought that a more replicatable role model may have been more appropriate.

Yeah, she mentioned about the cleaner as well ("My freetime is 'free' and it's good for the economy...") but she didn't say anything about the amounts. Clearly, no normal women can pay 100% of their salary to look after the kids unless you have a sugar daddy, who may or may not own Royals Royce...
Well she is the head of 'Women in Surgery' but I would have thought that a more replicatable role model may have been more appropriate.

Yeah, she mentioned about the cleaner as well ("My freetime is 'free' and it's good for the economy...&quot:wink: but she didn't say anything about the amounts. Clearly, no normal women can pay 100% of their salary to look after the kids unless you have a sugar daddy, who may or may not own Royals Royce...

Exactly. If the aim of her talks is to encourage more women into surgery (the aims of WiS), then why give us such an unattainable target to aim at? I personally felt discouraged from going into surgery after hearing her speak, unless WiS would like to offer a dating service with only millionaire men eligible to apply!
I guess if you take the notion that she means if you want a normal surgeon's life AND have kids - try not to be the only breadwinner.

That's a slightly better slant on it
Reply 3308
Does anyone have a good way of remembering which nerves cause which movements in the UL/LL motor examination please with a cherry on top?
Evenings like this make me hate everyone on this site apart from PS helpers and the people in this sub-sub-forum.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Evenings like this make me hate everyone on this site apart from PS helpers and the people in this sub-sub-forum.

S'up? :smile:
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
S'up? :smile:

Wondering why I'm wasting so much time on here, especially now that exams are looming, but also more generally.
Wondering why I'm wasting so much time on here, especially now that exams are looming, but also more generally.

I've actually managed to waste hours and hours partly just looking at stupid threads on TSR. OMG i'm going to fail

:frown: Have to admit... I rarely venture outside of this little thread these days... :rolleyes: (some people are silly)
Original post by Philosoraptor
I've actually managed to waste hours and hours partly just looking at stupid threads on TSR. OMG i'm going to fail

It's all fun and games until you realise that you're actually posting in the retarded threads too.

Original post by ilovehotchocolate
:frown: Have to admit... I rarely venture outside of this little thread these days... :rolleyes: (some people are silly)

You aren't missing anything. It's a hell hole.
Reply 3315
So I went to an Academic Medicine Conference yesterday and there was a talk by Miss Fernandez, Consultant Neurosurgeon and head of Women in Surgery.

Her answer to how a women can be successful in surgery was "Marry sensibly, so you're the second earner in your family..... I pay for nannies to look after my children and people to do any house work"

It's a bit odd when the leading feminist in surgery tells women to marry a rich bloke if they want to succeed...

The alternative of course is to be in a lesbian relationship where your partner is planning on being a teacher (holidays! no night shifts!) and make them have the babies.

This plan is working out pretty well for me so far

:thumbsup:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lekky
The alternative of course is to be in a lesbian relationship where your partner is planning on being a teacher (holidays! no night shifts!) and make them have the babies.

This plan is working out pretty well for me so far

Can I be your bit on the side? I need you in my life. :biggrin:
Original post by lekky

We haven't Skyped for aaaaaages!
Reply 3318
We haven't Skyped for aaaaaages!

exams suck :frown: I banned myself from everything but facebook and in fairness that was for educational reasons.. people on the year group page always put good stuff up

on now!
Reply 3319
ATTN EVERYONE THAT DOES PBL

Something by a glasgow medic you might appreciate :wink:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1130272/Monday.m4a

(dw it won't download, it's just a link)
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending