The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Spoke to recruitment office earlier, they said the receommendations have gone to the trusts and that I would hear one way or the other by the end of the week. They said reserves and rejections have gone already so do you think this means that I might or might not get offered something when they get back? The person I spoke to one the phone was very cryptic
Reply 2501
Original post by rsteven
Spoke to recruitment office earlier, they said the receommendations have gone to the trusts and that I would hear one way or the other by the end of the week. They said reserves and rejections have gone already so do you think this means that I might or might not get offered something when they get back? The person I spoke to one the phone was very cryptic

Don't want to get your hopes up, but itmeans you HAVE been offered a place, congrats!!
Well im out, well done to all those who got places yesterday. Bummed. Bye.
Hi all,
I got offered a place for clinical biochemistry at west midlands.. anyone else on here going there?
Original post by a1b2c3d4e
Hi all,
I got offered a place for clinical biochemistry at west midlands.. anyone else on here going there?
Well done :smile:. Jealous as hell :p: but you deserve it no doubt!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2505
Hi guys,

I've just been offered MedPhys at St Georges :smile:

But I thought I'd give some of you on the reserve list some hope, because I'm going to turn it down (I have another job lined up... the NHS just took too long to sort themselves out!)

So good luck to whoever fills the position!
Original post by cc139
Hi guys,

But I thought I'd give some of you on the reserve list some hope, because I'm going to turn it down (I have another job lined up... the NHS just took too long to sort themselves out!)

You just became very popular with the MedPhys reserves. :smile: Congrats anyway!
Reply 2507
hi to all, I got assessed, but didn't make the cut (Biochemistry).
Out of interest, how many of you that were successful, actually work, or have worked in a hospital laboratory, how big an advantage was it do you reckon over the rest of us? Would you recommend looking for a placement to someone who is serious about this as a career, and how might we go about doing it?
Just been offered Infection Sciences at Oxford :-)
Original post by cc139
Hi guys,

:biggrin: thats great. I hope you don't regret your new career route.
Original post by bunsenhoneydew
Just been offered Infection Sciences at Oxford :-)

Congrats! Incredibly jealous though. It's a good lab, you'll enjoy it.
Original post by seafoid
Out of interest, how many of you that were successful, actually work, or have worked in a hospital laboratory, how big an advantage was it do you reckon over the rest of us? Would you recommend looking for a placement to someone who is serious about this as a career, and how might we go about doing it?

I have not worked in a hospital laboratory, so I would say it doesn't really matter, but I do have an awful lot of research experience. To me the most important thing is experience on a broad range of experimental techniques - this shows you are adaptable and willing to learn.

I did a placement between by 3rd & 4th year at Uni, and I think it helped me tremendously to kick-start my career. Uni practical labs are a bit useless and don't give you the real experience you need. Easy ways to do this are approaching a lecturer/researcher at your Uni and asking if they have funding to take you on over the summer, or applying for vacation scholarships (I did this through one of the large funding bodies). If your Uni doesn't offer placements there are other organisations such as the Leonardo da Vinci training scholarship (I did this) where you can get experience in research institutes/clinical labs. Alternatively, get the yellow pages out and start phoning a few companies :smile:

Hope that helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rsteven

was this just for your speciality all for all specialities?
Looks as though Southeast biochemistry have allocated people to the different trusts. Had a call from Portsmouth, first choice! Anyone else doing biochemistry in southeast region?
Reply 2514
Original post by seafoid

I do not know the result of my interview yet for Haematology, but I would say that I had an advantage over others with my knowledge from a sandwich year placement in an NHS laboratory. It gives you an idea of how a NHS laboratory works, and you are learning so much that you cannot learn out of a textbook... techniques, analysers, clinical scenarios... It is such a learning curve.

When I first wanted work experience in an NHS laboratory, I found out the name of the laboratory managers in the hospitals in my area and wrote to them to ask if I could work for free in the laboratory (they did one better and offered me a small wage), but its all about showing willing. Tell them your predicament, and what you want the experience for, with your career aspirations.

I know several graduates in my laboratory who travelled for miles to get to the hospital and then worked several days a week for free. It gave them invaluable experience and they all have paid jobs in laboratories now.

Another up-shot for you as a would-be Clinical Scientist is that you would be working with other Clinical Scientists in Biochemistry and could get the inside scoop on the profession and the job that they do.
Reply 2515
Original post by QueenAli
I do not know the result of my interview yet for Haematology, but I would say that I had an advantage over others with my knowledge from a sandwich year placement in an NHS laboratory. It gives you an idea of how a NHS laboratory works, and you are learning so much that you cannot learn out of a textbook... techniques, analysers, clinical scenarios... It is such a learning curve.

When I first wanted work experience in an NHS laboratory, I found out the name of the laboratory managers in the hospitals in my area and wrote to them to ask if I could work for free in the laboratory (they did one better and offered me a small wage), but its all about showing willing. Tell them your predicament, and what you want the experience for, with your career aspirations.

I know several graduates in my laboratory who travelled for miles to get to the hospital and then worked several days a week for free. It gave them invaluable experience and they all have paid jobs in laboratories now.

Another up-shot for you as a would-be Clinical Scientist is that you would be working with other Clinical Scientists in Biochemistry and could get the inside scoop on the profession and the job that they do.

I found out about my reserve list place yesterday, im sure u have gotten a place if u still haven't heard.
Reply 2516
Original post by Dubb3d
I found out about my reserve list place yesterday, im sure u have gotten a place if u still haven't heard.

Heya,
What hospitals did you apply for? Do you know which hospital you are on the reserve list for?

If I do get offered a place I will be completely torn, because I have applied for jobs in my home town that I am waiting to hear back on as well.

If I got a 'no' then at least the decision would have been made for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2517
Original post by QueenAli
Heya,
What hospitals did you apply for? Do you know which hospital you are on the reserve list for?

I phoned them up when I got shortlisted and they told me it was just oxford that shortlisted me and they said put down oxford as a location, so i did.

I wasn't even aware of london haematology posts until speaking to people at the interview who also hadn't applied to london, only to oxford.

I have no idea where I am on reserve for, dont really care as no one will pull out in our subject as there was only what 4 posts?

I think I would of felt better getting a no than a reserve spot, it must of been stupidly close when there was only about 15 of us, there must only be a couple of reserve spots for haem.

Edit: I really think u would have heard back by now if it was a no, why would they take so long between me and you if there wasn't something delaying yours i.e. the trust confirmation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2518
Original post by Dubb3d
I phoned them up when I got shortlisted and they told me it was just oxford that shortlisted me and they said put down oxford as a location, so i did.

I wasn't even aware of london haematology posts until speaking to people at the interview who also hadn't applied to london, only to oxford.

I have no idea where I am on reserve for, dont really care as no one will pull out in our subject as there was only what 4 posts?

I think I would of felt better getting a no than a reserve spot, it must of been stupidly close when there was only about 15 of us, there must only be a couple of reserve spots for haem.

Edit: I really think u would have heard back by now if it was a no, why would they take so long between me and you if there wasn't something delaying yours i.e. the trust confirmation.

As I have said before, I know someone else who applied for Haem and he is better qualified than I am for the post, and I cannot see that I would get a job over him, but maybe we will both get it and work together!

I applied for both Oxford and Barts, and got a rejection message from Oxford by NHS mail, but they seemed to think when I contacted them before interview that it didn't matter, as I could still get Oxford.

If I get offered Barts I will be torn. If I get offered Oxford then I would say yes.

I'm still not hopeful... but i'm a glass half empty kinda girl!

What time was your interview? Mine was 11.20.
Reply 2519
12.40 on the 11th

Edit: Qualifications mean very little in the method they used for this, you me and everyone else came down to a number on how we answered their questions, so I wouldn't think him having 'better' qualifications meant much when going into a blind interview like we did.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending