The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maybe I should start considering a surgical career :P
Progress Testing today was utter rubbish. It was literally like doing 120 (short-ish) pbls in 2h 40 mins. I gave up after the 15th or so question (partly because I knew nothing at all) and just didn't bother attempting to do them properly anymore - had tons and tons of revision to do so I thought I'd pick answers at random , leave early and then focus on that first. Exams are in just 20 days!! :eek:
To continue the oh **** theme, had my abdo examining ripped apart by my consultant today, not a great start to a new firm. There's so much to learn! :frown:
Reply 3443
Original post by Philosoraptor
Omg that looks really good. Wish I could go but have a compulsory first aid course that day. :frown:
lame

that is really lame, sort it out philosorapto! :P and as Becca-Sarah rightly said, compulsory on a Saturday?!

we are hoping to run it as an annual event so there is always next year!
had progress test today
multiple guess
Original post by malaz_197
that is really lame, sort it out philosorapto! :P and as Becca-Sarah rightly said, compulsory on a Saturday?!

we are hoping to run it as an annual event so there is always next year!

It's a project I do voluntarily but as such this is compulsory.
St George's have given me permission to go to King's! All that worrying for nothing. When will I ever learn? :o:
Hi everyone,

Have managed to find a brief release from final exam fear!

Was just wondering how everyone felt about these online question banks and as to whether or not good performance on them correlates to a good performance in actual finals exams.

So, does anyone know well pastest and onexamination stack up to actual finals, and if they do actually predict written finals performance?

Ta,

TLP
Original post by i'm no superman
St George's have given me permission to go to King's! All that worrying for nothing. When will I ever learn? :o:

Best of luck convincing Student Finance that you're not dropping out of uni... I just got off the phone to them. You know it's gonna be a useful call when they ask what an MBChB is :facepalm: In summary, the advice is to fill out the online app as if you're staying at George's, then send in a paper application with the King's course details and a covering letter teaching them what an intercalated degree is :rolleyes:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Best of luck convincing Student Finance that you're not dropping out of uni... I just got off the phone to them. You know it's gonna be a useful call when they ask what an MBChB is :facepalm: In summary, the advice is to fill out the online app as if you're staying at George's, then send in a paper application with the King's course details and a covering letter teaching them what an intercalated degree is :rolleyes:
Ah great, another barrier. Did you pick Imperial or Barts in the end?
Original post by i'm no superman
Ah great, another barrier. Did you pick Imperial or Barts in the end?

Barts, just posted my acceptance letter this evening.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Barts, just posted my acceptance letter this evening.

I guess I'll be bumping into you at some point next year... :ninja:

Also whats different about this student finance form as opposed to previous ones? I just treated the iBSc year as my third year on the form - is that wrong? :eek:
Original post by Medicine Man
I guess I'll be bumping into you at some point next year... :ninja:

Also whats different about this student finance form as opposed to previous ones? I just treated the iBSc year as my third year on the form - is that wrong? :eek:
You're still at Barts. It's a lot of hassle to sort out when you're going externally.
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Hi everyone,

Have managed to find a brief release from final exam fear!

Was just wondering how everyone felt about these online question banks and as to whether or not good performance on them correlates to a good performance in actual finals exams.

So, does anyone know well pastest and onexamination stack up to actual finals, and if they do actually predict written finals performance?

Ta,

TLP

Check with people at your university. At UCL they are not at all like our exams questions and people in previous years people have told me not to do them. That said you might have great feedback from friends in the year above at your university. I would suggest you make sure first.

My only advice would be to try and concentrate on basics. It seems very few fail on the written exams here so I am trying not to worry about my knowledge as much. I tend to have a SBA question book but it is very difficult. There is so much to cover so I would suggest you spend time learning and do a few SBAs. If you do the other way round does not work and especially if you are short on time you tend to start focusing on silly areas by doing too many SBAs. I have stopped doing lots of SBAs as it was not really helping me much.

I myself have started teddy time and we have started working through examinations at the moment. I make up a disease and then present it to a teddy examiner. I know this makes me sound like a retard to some but I need to be practising so I can perform in the exam. I am a very practical person and I like things very clear and simple so this works for me. Also try and meet my friends and go through OSCEs once a week but we might up this near the exams.

Good luck with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Interesting case, - young man, early 20s, previously fit and well presents came to ED complaining of palpitations, he was in fast AF. Just got off the plane after a long haul flight...
Original post by Wangers
Interesting case, - young man, early 20s, previously fit and well presents came to ED complaining of palpitations, he was in fast AF. Just got off the plane after a long haul flight...

Embolus of some form? E.g. pulmonary
Original post by Philosoraptor
Embolus of some form? E.g. pulmonary

CTPA clear, how many other causes of AF can you remember from your deep slumber in bscland?:tongue:

But also, early 20s?! - Although you and the casualty officer both had the same thought.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wangers
CTPA clear, how many other causes of AF can you remember from your deep slumber in bscland?:tongue:

But also, early 20s?! - Although you and the casualty officer both had the same thought.

Isn't early 20's when you start getting people dropping dead of previously undiagnosed cardiac conditions? I'm not even on BSc yet and I still can't think of any causes of AF :getmecoat:
Original post by Wangers

Hehe well ones relevant to him -
Hyperthyroid would have to be ruled out.

Holiday heart? (everyone whose drunk at med school knows what this feels like - you drink **** loads on multiple days back to back and end up with funny heart palpitations!)
So first ever OSCE done, few hiccups here and there, but don't think I screwed up enough to fail. Here's hoping anyway!

Latest

Trending

Trending