The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by kattbutler
I booked my room in The Plaza due to its location and it looks like one of the best choices, however i've been put in a room with a fourth year, a third year and two post grads, i'm a first year and i'm kind of worried about it with them all being older than me, has anyone else had this?

the plaza is next to the tannery right? Thing with private accommodation is everyone won't be in same situation as you
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1781
i just don't know what to pick =(
Original post by Dephect
i just don't know what to pick =(

The deadline is 1st July, I'm sure you'll have reached a decision by then :smile: Things to consider: do you have a price limit? Do you want catered or self catered? Ensuite or shared bathroom? Near or far from the uni? Which facilities are included?
Reply 1783
Bodington or Devonshire????
Reply 1784
bodington
Reply 1785
Hey!
Just a random question that I know other universities differ on; how strict are Leeds about posters/hanging picture frames? I was thinking North Hill Court in particular... with a vague hope that they wouldn't notice if I put a nail in the wall.
Thanks
Original post by dmz
Haha just in case, I'm too delicate to get bruised :tongue:, I'm not really

Oh right, i guess that's good. About how many do you have on a team?

Well yea that was quite a clue except i didn't notice. I'm a lazy reader :tongue:. I just realised your username is feminine, it's usually Chris that comes across to me :tongue:

Haha I know I've got a long name and all but that is a poor reason :tongue:

I can't remember exactly how many there are on a team, but I think its around 25, there are loads of different teams, they try to match you and your opponents in terms of age and build, the total amount of people attending depends on what day and what location you choose, when I went recently there was around 400 people but everyone plays different games at different times so you don't see everyone at once apart from at the beginning and end :smile:
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame

On Sunday I did around 3 and a half hours on and off :s-smilie:, afterwards I was too lazy to log on to tsr to post my hours :tongue:

So far I have done 3 hours, I'm going to try and do a couple more hours before going to bed, these days I may as well be nocturnal :rolleyes: I find it really hard to sit down and work during the day but come night time I can just put my head down and crack on til my eyes get that grainy sand feeling then I know its time to sleep

hope ur revision is going well :smile:
Reply 1788
Original post by -Christabel-
Haha I know I've got a long name and all but that is a poor reason :tongue:

I can't remember exactly how many there are on a team, but I think its around 25, there are loads of different teams, they try to match you and your opponents in terms of age and build, the total amount of people attending depends on what day and what location you choose, when I went recently there was around 400 people but everyone plays different games at different times so you don't see everyone at once apart from at the beginning and end :smile:

:ashamed: i know but sadly it's also my name is longer(don't use the full thing tho) :tongue: lol. It's got Christ in it as well when translated

Oh, seems like I'm bound to get shot then lol
Reply 1789
Original post by kattbutler
I booked my room in The Plaza due to its location and it looks like one of the best choices, however i've been put in a room with a fourth year, a third year and two post grads, i'm a first year and i'm kind of worried about it with them all being older than me, has anyone else had this?

I haven't actually had this myself, but my friend was put in accomdation with 2 second years and a fourth year in her first year - she said she gets on very well with them.
Also, I'm in Clarence Dock right now - if anyone wants any information let me know
Reply 1790
Original post by esper109
I haven't actually had this myself, but my friend was put in accomdation with 2 second years and a fourth year in her first year - she said she gets on very well with them.
Also, I'm in Clarence Dock right now - if anyone wants any information let me know

chicks? :eyeball: I'm messing.
I'm ready to have a life again :lol:

How is the social life? How much does the bar/hall activities get used? Is it still ok for sleeping if you really need those 8 hours before work/exams? Is there anything you think is really important that you wish you'd known before moving there? :biggrin: Thanks for all and any advice!
Reply 1792

Is it good for international students? Would you recommend it to an international student ?
Original post by accomoffice
As DMZ says, put that you want to be in a large flat in the "other" bit when you give your preferences for important features. And make sure you score en suite low. I can't remember if the non en suite flats at Oxley are single sex or mixed but I know we've never had any complaints so even if they are single, everyone must mix between the flats. I suspect there's probably some single and some mixed but I'm not at work so can't check.

Original post by Bella Occhi
I'm fairly sure you can get mixed sex and shared bathroom - just put yes on the mixed thing :yep: I don't think you can control how big a flat you're put in though I suppose you could perhaps ask to be in a large flat under the extra preferences box. You could also put that you don't want en-suite under the preferences bit.

Yeah that's what I did in the end. I know you can't control it, I'm just hoping they will see my comment and be nice :tongue:

Original post by dmz
so so much, been counting down, 15more weeks. The box is at the very end. Lol. Just take it a step at a time :tongue:

i just play along really lol and let my daft side out. Yea things like that's put me out of the relationship game. It's all so stressful and I'm at the stage where I'm just not bothered. Just have good guy and girl friends and a way to sort myself out when needed Haha

Only 15 more weeks?! Ahhh I'm even more excited now :biggrin:

And yeah same here, relationships are just more hassle than they're worth. I want to be young and free haha. A way to sort yourself out huh? **** buddy? Haha

And I finally finished the application. I have no idea how I managed to confuse myself so much :tongue:
Original post by T-Toe
Anyone for Oxley?

Meeee. Hi :smile:
Reply 1795
Original post by rachelll=)
Meeee. Hi :smile:

Hey lovely. I was on the brinx of submitting my application for Oxley but someone put my off by saying Oxley isn't good for someone who doesn't have a car. What made you decide to go for Oxley?

I'm tied between HP and Oxley, I loved Oxley so much, so perhaps distance shouldn't be an issue?
Original post by T-Toe
Hey lovely. I was on the brinx of submitting my application for Oxley but someone put my off by saying Oxley isn't good for someone who doesn't have a car. What made you decide to go for Oxley?

I'm tied between HP and Oxley, I loved Oxley so much, so perhaps distance shouldn't be an issue?

It just had most of the things I wanted from my accommodation. I will admit that nowhere stuck out as an obvious choice for me. Although I didn't go and visit the more expensive ones as I knew it would be a struggle to afford it. Would rather have the money to go out and have fun :smile:

Was also attracted to it because it's generally not generally over-subscribed and I was really worried about getting stuck in Boddington :tongue:

I don't think distance will be too much of an issue. I spoke to someone who is there this year and he says it's not a problem at all as there are regular buses which are a 2 second walk away. And taxis are cheap if you miss the last bus on a night out. Also, after visiting a friend at a different uni who is about the same distance from uni/town as oxley is, it was not even an issue on our night out.

You should defo go for Oxley :tongue:
Reply 1797
Original post by rachelll=)

Only 15 more weeks?! Ahhh I'm even more excited now :biggrin:

And yeah same here, relationships are just more hassle than they're worth. I want to be young and free haha. A way to sort yourself out huh? **** buddy? Haha

And I finally finished the application. I have no idea how I managed to confuse myself so much :tongue:

14 now! Haha

exactly either gonna be stuck together till marriage point or break up, not feeling either plus it's just effort. Don't forget wild. Lol. I like you already but yea preferably, if not one night stand

Oxley? Looks pretty good
Reply 1798
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
How is the social life? How much does the bar/hall activities get used? Is it still ok for sleeping if you really need those 8 hours before work/exams? Is there anything you think is really important that you wish you'd known before moving there? :biggrin: Thanks for all and any advice!

Social life is good (though I'm not much of a drinker), you're about 10-15 minutes walk from the city centre so it's pretty good for most of the clubs there. The bar is used quite often, though usually as a meeting point/starting point before going on. Sleeping is mainly okay, people are usually quiet during exam time. Some other times it's a little difficult but you usually manage. About all I can think about knowing before I went was there isn't actually any shared flat common room type thing...and the kitchen door has to stay shut. It is nice here.

Original post by iliya
Is it good for international students? Would you recommend it to an international student ?

Yeah I think I would. I've only spoken to one international here, but she was really happy with it and meeting so many people in the bar.
Original post by dmz
14 now! Haha

exactly either gonna be stuck together till marriage point or break up, not feeling either plus it's just effort. Don't forget wild. Lol. I like you already but yea preferably, if not one night stand

Oxley? Looks pretty good

Yup exactly. Not feeling either as well. Oh and don't worry, I defiantly haven't forgotten wild :wink:

And yeah it does :smile: Shame it's not a bit closer. but I already live in a crappy little village so it's going to seem close to things compared to here. What accom. did you go for? You've probably mentioned somewhere but I can't be bothered to search through the thread :tongue:

Latest