The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
Done :smile:

You absolute hero!

After the amount of absolute dickery i got up to in the medical forum in the past, i wasn't holding out much hope! Thanks very much.
Reply 3681
Captain Crash just pointed out on facebook that we've done 45 out of 50 exams/papers so far in medical school. Woah.
Original post by visesh
Captain Crash just pointed out on facebook that we've done 45 out of 50 exams/papers so far in medical school. Woah.

I've done 10/13 this year so far. I love the amount of exams we do...
Reply 3683
Original post by It could be lupus

I've done 10/13 this year so far. I love the amount of exams we do...

****, I forgot you were doing 1B! Rest assured that this is probably the worst year here (except perhaps for 5th year which is scary but in retrospect, unwarrantedly so). Hope it's going well!!
Original post by visesh
****, I forgot you were doing 1B! Rest assured that this is probably the worst year here (except perhaps for 5th year which is scary but in retrospect, unwarrantedly so). Hope it's going well!!

Yeah 1B is fun... Its been ok so far, apart from short answers in neuro which picked really random things compared to normal. Don't think that went too well, but I've the practical tomorrow which will hopefully make up for it. Strangely the essays have been good this year, much better than last year, though MODA essays today were strange.

How are finals coming along?
Reply 3685

Yeah, 1B was an odd year in terms of exams...! I much preferred the essays and T/Fs to the practicals, I must say.

Finals are OK so far - we're 1/6 of the way through! We had our first paper today (public health, ethics and law - basically a throwback to medsoc, ISMB and the ethics and demography in HR with a much more clinical slant) which went pretty well. I've got my MCQ paper tomorrow afternoon and an EMQ (extended matching question) paper on Monday; I haven't given them too much thought lately...

The biggies are in the next couple of weeks - we've got two SCEE (simulated clinical encounter examinations) next week which invole lots of history taking (ranging from standard histories to 'difficult scenarios' e.g. breaking bad news, explaining death and dying, teamwork and three 'explanation and planning' papers where we need to consent patients for a procedure or explain an intervention). Then the week after that is the OSCE - standard set of medical and surgical stations. These cause the most worry for a lot of people but there isn't much you can do by way of revision in the library for them so it's going to be rather 'relaxing' for the next fortnight.

It's been pretty chilled though - we spent an hour on Parker's Piece tossing a frisbee around and then went to the pub for a few pints and lunch after our exam today. Definitely not something I would've done in 1A or 1B!! I've got a college cricket cuppers match tomorrow evening straight after my exam so I'm going to have to go there in my whites :biggrin:
Original post by visesh
Yeah, 1B was an odd year in terms of exams...! I much preferred the essays and T/Fs to the practicals, I must say.

Finals are OK so far - we're 1/6 of the way through! We had our first paper today (public health, ethics and law - basically a throwback to medsoc, ISMB and the ethics and demography in HR with a much more clinical slant) which went pretty well. I've got my MCQ paper tomorrow afternoon and an EMQ (extended matching question) paper on Monday; I haven't given them too much thought lately...

The biggies are in the next couple of weeks - we've got two SCEE (simulated clinical encounter examinations) next week which invole lots of history taking (ranging from standard histories to 'difficult scenarios' e.g. breaking bad news, explaining death and dying, teamwork and three 'explanation and planning' papers where we need to consent patients for a procedure or explain an intervention). Then the week after that is the OSCE - standard set of medical and surgical stations. These cause the most worry for a lot of people but there isn't much you can do by way of revision in the library for them so it's going to be rather 'relaxing' for the next fortnight.

It's been pretty chilled though - we spent an hour on Parker's Piece tossing a frisbee around and then went to the pub for a few pints and lunch after our exam today. Definitely not something I would've done in 1A or 1B!! I've got a college cricket cuppers match tomorrow evening straight after my exam so I'm going to have to go there in my whites :biggrin:

Ah ok. They are obviously much more spaced out than the exams at 1A and 1B. I find it hard having all the exams crammed in so close together,

Sounds like quite a different selection of exams compared to 2nd MB exams. Sounds like it must be a bit more chilled if you can afford to spend an hour on Parker's Piece and go to the pub after. Definitely no time for that in 1A or 1B! Well that will be a funny to do exams in. There is a guy who sits behind me and he has a "thinking cap" he always wears to exams.

I remember running into my Hom supervisor from last year, who is doing finals this year, a few weeks ago and she was seriously freaking out about finals. Then again from what I hear she always comes near top in the year :lol: Have you got your placements sorted yet for next year?
Reply 3687

Hahaha, I have a pretty good idea about who that supervisor might be :p:

Yup, we got our jobs back in February - I'm in East Anglia for the next two years which'll be fun! Might have you as a student on my firm if you decide to stay back for clinicals :wink:
Original post by visesh
Hahaha, I have a pretty good idea about who that supervisor might be :p:

Yup, we got our jobs back in February - I'm in East Anglia for the next two years which'll be fun! Might have you as a student on my firm if you decide to stay back for clinicals :wink:

Did the MB PhD programme? Don't want to give too much else away.

Ah cool. Atm I would like to stay on. Whether I will be allowed to is another thing...
Reply 3689

Did the MB PhD programme? Don't want to give too much else away.

Ah cool. Atm I would like to stay on. Whether I will be allowed to is another thing...

Not who I was thinking of initially, but now I remember which college you're at :p:
Original post by visesh
Not who I was thinking of initially, but now I remember which college you're at :p:

Ah ok. Well they were at a different college but did the PhD through my college so I think she is now part of my college. Know who I am thinking of now?
Reply 3691

I just know of a Hom supervisor + MBPhD student from your college who does pretty damned well in exams , is v.hardworking and gets very stressed about exams. It doesn't really matter I guess! If not from your college, I think most of the MBPhD people (AKA OAPs) fit the bill :wink:
Ah fair enough. Yeah I have heard most MBPhD people are like that. 4th years are telling me how they have formed their own clique for ward rounds etc. And yeah, their exam revision advice scared the hell out of our year (I think it was writing out notes on everything at least 7/8 times :redface: )
Reply 3693
They're a scarily hardworking and obviously intelligent but very friendly bunch! The grads on the other hand... (j/k...) :p:
Original post by visesh
'difficult scenarios'

:smile: Took a history today from a 'patient' who kept jumping up to look out the window and tell me her daughter was a scheming bitch who was in cahoots with her doctor and I wasn't to believe anything she was saying. The handyman really was out to make other think she was crazy by folding up the corners of bits of paper in her house in a tri fold that must mean something. I had ten minutes to take a full history including a mmse and I was being recorded. And... she was an actress. I love PMS first year clinical skills. :rolleyes:

Hilarious though - out of character she was all darling this and love that, lol. Luvvies.
Exam results today. This is delicious.
Taking a history from a patient with bipolar disorder who was currently on a 'high' was the most challenging one I've done thus far. I failed dismally in getting anywhere with it.
What would you guys say is the official class of drug for Allopurinol? Gout prophylactic?
Reply 3698
Original post by Kinkerz
Taking a history from a patient with bipolar disorder who was currently on a 'high' was the most challenging one I've done thus far. I failed dismally in getting anywhere with it.

Surely mental state exam is more relevant in that situation..?
& good experience to see mania - often the wards are more loaded with psychosis! :smile:
Score. Going into second year (albeit with a fairly poor pass, worth it for being a waster). Roll on the summer.

Latest

Trending

Trending