The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehsponge
I put 1:3 O_o This thread is depressing...

baha, I got 3:1 as well! I'm just trying to work out how :s-smilie: bahaha x
Reply 921
Original post by SK-mar
I wrote the same for the horses question!

for the decomposition one i wrote:

- decomoposers digest by extracellular digestion
- in doing so produce ammonium ions in soil
- these are converted into nitrates via nitrites by nitrifying bacteria
- nitrates used for protein synthesis, or nucleic acids
- microorganisms also respire aerobically releasing CO2
- CO2 can be taken in through stomata for photosynthesis
- products of photosynthesis, hexose sugars such as glucose which can be used in growth!

I also got 4% for hardy weinberg...

Everyone seems to get 4%, strange how they gave so much information and then such a simple question.

Original post by Steerforth
Overall, not a bad exam set by AQA. They have certainly learnt from their mistakes on previous exam papers. I thought this one covered the specification reasonably well, quite a lot on genetics though, where they could have added either predation, food chains or speciation.

What do you guys think?

Yeah I loved the exam paper, now I'm hoping that they don't mark me down for not being specific and using the words they want me to use.
Reply 922
Original post by Laura-Robbie
i put 50:50 for the cats but i wasn't too sure

That would be 1:1
Original post by SK-mar
I wrote the same for the horses question!

for the decomposition one i wrote:

- decomoposers digest by extracellular digestion
- in doing so produce ammonium ions in soil
- these are converted into nitrates via nitrites by nitrifying bacteria
- nitrates used for protein synthesis, or nucleic acids
- microorganisms also respire aerobically releasing CO2
- CO2 can be taken in through stomata for photosynthesis
- products of photosynthesis, hexose sugars such as glucose which can be used in growth!

I also got 4% for hardy weinberg...

but wasn't the question focused on nitrogen and not CO2? so I talked about ammonia, to nitrite, then to nitrate and (I should have put) taken up by the roots.. but I didn't haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 924
Went okay I think, I put 2:2 for the cat...stupid mistake.

What's with the cat obsession AQA? Wasn't there a cat question in Jan 11/June 2010?

Hoping for an A. High grade boundaries though, there weren't any horrible HSW!!

Btw, for 'why take random samples' what did you put? I put to avoid bias....and then stuck in 'to get a representative sample' for the 2nd mark, but the fact it wanted another point threw me.
Original post by philley-delph
Stablising? Because by eliminating the recessive alleles, it is keeping the dominant. The dominant are the most common (due to previous equation, and that fact it is more often expressed in the phenotype), so is such the ''average'' phenotype, so the mean is being favoured?

This is what I thought.
Original post by abzzzg

How did you all work out 1:1?
Reply 927
Original post by xbabycakes
but wasn't the question focused on nitrogen and not CO2? so I talked about ammonia, to nitrite, then to nitrate and (I should have put) taken up by the roots.. but I didn't haha.

im sure the question didn't solely specify nitrogen. i though it said how do decomposers make the products in dead matter available to plants for growth or something.

so i talked about digestion by microorganisms...the ammonium ions they produce which is converted into nitrogen, and then the fact they respire co2 which is also used. etc etc. obviously in much more detail than that though.
Reply 928
i got ...
4%

directional (homozygotes dominant favoured/homozygotes recessive not favoured)

Horse - extra nutrients for biomass/tissues

increased expenditure - need ATP to maintain body temp during cold weather in March; ATP required for metabolic processes to keep body warm

lots of ATP synthesised in humans - needed for respiration and metabolic/movement processes; also, ATP is not stored so needs to be continuously generated.

i just hope i get A LOT higher than the E from January!
Reply 929
what did people get for ticks on first question? i got like a million ticks
Original post by abzzzg

so would you get the marks for 50:50 or not??
"What would the hardy weinburg principle suggest about allele freauenc"

I put that the allele frequency will not change from one generation to the next
I didnt mention anything about other factors
how many marks do you reckon i will get?
Reply 932
How did you all work out 1:1

becuase it said for THIS black male and a white cat....

THIS black male must = genotype Bb
and white cat must = genotype bb

so the crosses are 50% black, 50% white = 50:50 = 1:1 ....

ALSO

for the first question did people put: The two parents have black fur but produce cats with white fur. therefore the parents must be heterozygous dominant. (this proves that the allele for white fur is recessive) ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 933
How did you all work out 1:1?

The genotype for the black male cat is Bb
The genotype for the white female must be bb

When you do that little table thing it comes out as 50% Bb and 50% bb

So half are black, half are white. :smile:
for the ticks i had all three at top, 1 each for photosynthesis and aerobic respiration and then one for aerobic respiration on the bottom row, i can't remember what the 2nd row was now though
Reply 935
Original post by *QueenBeee
"What would the hardy weinburg principle suggest about allele freauenc"

I put that the allele frequency will not change from one generation to the next
I didnt mention anything about other factors
how many marks do you reckon i will get?

i simply put:

that the allele frequency will not change

should get the mark as it was only a 1 mark question.
ahhh I completely messed up! I wrote 2:2 do you think I would still get a mark :/
Reply 937
Original post by Laura-Robbie
so would you get the marks for 50:50 or not??

Possibly, this isn't a maths exam so I doubt they would care if you'd simplified or not.
Original post by SK-mar
becuase it said for THIS black male and a white cat....

THIS black male must = genotype Bb
and white cat must = genotype bb

so the crosses are 50% black, 50% white = 50:50 = 1:1 ....

ALSO

for the first question did people put: The two parents have black fur but produce cats with white fur. therefore the parents must be heterozygous dominant. (this proves that the allele for white fur is recessive) ...

Oh BALLS. I did the genetic cross in my head :colondollar: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by SK-mar
im sure the question didn't solely specify nitrogen. i though it said how do decomposers make the products in dead matter available to plants for growth or something.

so i talked about digestion by microorganisms...the ammonium ions they produce which is converted into nitrogen, and then the fact they respire co2 which is also used. etc etc. obviously in much more detail than that though.

I just remember reading 'nitrogen in dead leaves available to plants' but eh, oh well! I've got some of the points in the sense that I mentioned extra cellular digestion, ammonium then nitrates through nitrification.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending