The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rainbow249

2. I ticked all of photosynthesis (PSS), all of aerobic respiration and for anaerobic respiration, I only ticked that it makes ATP. But I was confused on the PSS one, because it does make ATP but that gets used up, so does it count? Mitochondria and Chloroplast are both organelles. Can't remember what the last row was for :s-smilie:

Does anyone agree with my points? If you disagree, tell me what you put instead please? :smile:

This is a question that has been raised with my friends, I personally ticked it but others didnt as they say that they are used up so is not a net gain
Original post by JamesSimonHudson
nooooooooooo. in this exam the usual % for an A is like 60...where the heck did you get those from

dont worry they have said 80% as in 80 UMS

i think itll be 50/75 for an A but people on the student room usually need A/B so i dont think it is representitive for the country.

i think A 50/75
B 44/75
C 38/75
This is a question that has been raised with my friends, I personally ticked it but others didnt as they say that they are used up so is not a net gain

it doesnt matter if it is used up - the point is it is still produced.
Reply 1283
Original post by supernova92
That question where it was to do with the digester.. and it asked why it was better to use organic fertiliser, rather than artificial fertiliser? I swear, there wasn't ANY fertiliser added to it... So that confused me a bit.
I put that it was cheaper because it was more readily available...

I said that they are slower releasing so don't need to be applied as often which saves time for the farmer.
Reply 1284
Original post by Black Butler
it doesnt matter if it is used up - the point is it is still produced.

yeah it didnt say net productivity, just said if ATP is produced?
Reply 1285
Original post by Rickesh
Why was the net productivity higher in August than in March? Was it because the rate of photosynthesis was higher than the rate of respiration? Therefore more energy is used in growth than lost in respiration??

-lower temperature
-enzymes in resp have less kinetic energy
-they work at a slower rate so rate of respiration is lower
-less respiratory losses so greater net productivity.

i thought it was ATP produced as in overall reaction so i didnt tick it. ATP is used up again so no net gain. they werent clear as what they wanted.

they were vague on several questions.
oh yeah - natural fertilisers are less likely to cause eutrophication as they are less prone to leaching.
Reply 1288
Original post by SK-mar
-lower temperature
-enzymes in resp have less kinetic energy
-they work at a slower rate so rate of respiration is lower
-less respiratory losses so greater net productivity.

yeahh basically what i said? What did you put for the horse question?
Guys, we have to remember that most of the people on here are C and above students which means that the representation given by all of us collectively is going to be one that the exam was alright which may lead people to believe that grade boundaries would be high. However after taking what I have just said in to account and the fact that people seemed to struggle with the mite and cat question, I believe the grade boundaries will be around:

A: 46 marks
B: 42 marks
C: 38 marks

Or very possibly even lower
Reply 1290
Original post by Black Butler
oh yeah - natural fertilisers are less likely to cause eutrophication as they are less prone to leaching.

Yeah i put that too!
Reply 1291
What did people put for the mites questions??
Reply 1292
Original post by Rickesh
Is this right:
That you can get a whole chocolate cat population by breeding only bb genotype cats so that the whole population is chocolate cats?

yes and also if you breed one 'bb' genotype and one heterozygous 'bbi' genotype, only chocolate offspring can be formed too.
Original post by Mira1
what was the answer for the ticks for anaerobic? is the cytoplasm an organelle?

No it is not therefore it would not be a tick
Reply 1294
Original post by Rickesh
What did people put for the mites questions??

what was the conclusion question for 3/4 marks??? i cant remember what it said... might have been for mites or hardy weinberg i cant remember.

and for the last one i think i said: less chance of tits contracting disease from pathogenic bacteria and fungus infection. less energy wasted on fighting them off so more energy available for reproduction and breeding behaviour so would increase the successful numbers.

there was a describe the graph one too: think i said that for large oil glands, most of the points were on or near the line of best fit, however for smaller glands most points were not on the line of best fit. it showed a slight positive correlation.
The male cat bbi, the female cat Bbi, right?

Also, the chocolate kittens thing... I answered it referring to those particular genotypes... I'm sure that's what they asked because I re-read it, and it said for those genotypes. And therefore it's impossible to get all chocolate kittens because the probability is 25% for one chocolate kitten.
Reply 1296
Original post by Rickesh
yeahh basically what i said? What did you put for the horse question?

For the excess nutrients question - I said that if there was any excess protein they would use this for muscle growth due to a higher rate of exercise because more energy is available to them with the increased amount of nutrients.
Reply 1297
Original post by Flying Cookie
The male cat bbi, the female cat Bbi, right?

Also, the chocolate kittens thing... I answered it referring to those particular genotypes... I'm sure that's what they asked because I re-read it, and it said for those genotypes. And therefore it's impossible to get all chocolate kittens because the probability is 25% for one chocolate kitten.

im pretty sure cos i kept reading the question over and over that it said: The breeder wanted to have offspring that were just cats of chocolate fur. is this possible?

it didn't refer to the previous question.
Reply 1298
Original post by SK-mar
what was the conclusion question for 3/4 marks??? i cant remember what it said... might have been for mites or hardy weinberg i cant remember.

and for the last one i think i said: less chance of tits contracting disease from pathogenic bacteria and fungus infection. less energy wasted on fighting them off so more energy available for reproduction and breeding behaviour so would increase the successful numbers.

there was a describe the graph one too: think i said that for large oil glands, most of the points were on or near the line of best fit, however for smaller glands most points were not on the line of best fit. it showed a slight positive correlation.

yeah it was something like the mites eat pathogenic bacteria and fungus, what effect does this have on the breeding sucess rate of the birds?
Reply 1299
Original post by SK-mar
For the excess nutrients question - I said that if there was any excess protein they would use this for muscle growth due to a higher rate of exercise because more energy is available to them with the increased amount of nutrients.

I said they store it? Would that be right?

What did you put for the reason why they use more energy in March than in august?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending