The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tkoki1993
Notes for topic 8 done...
The layout of it is a bit messed up because my laptop broke so had to use my brother's netbook... long story short, the netbook is too small for me to see the layout of notes properly.
anyhoo here they are
http://www.4shared.com/document/rYvY5H9u/Unit_5_Biology_-_Topic_8.html

Thank You so much. I used ur notes for Topic 7 and am gna use your notes and memomemootoo for UNIT 8
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay can i clarify something, Does edexcel requires us to prepare for the article, or just be familar with the story cause i dont see the point of the article, its like a bloody story,
Reply 2022
Original post by darkiee
Okay can i clarify something, Does edexcel requires us to prepare for the article, or just be familar with the story cause i dont see the point of the article, its like a bloody story,

Prepare for the article and of course biological methods.
cut the story short:
i have spent 2 days on the article and so far:-
genes,mucscles,gym-how athletes use EPO, gene therapy nut shell, gene mutation of this dude giving him extra red blood cells.

secret weapon- gene therapy
learnt what it is, how it works, vectors used- adrenoviruses more attack form immune system but yet more favourable

EPO what it is, how it body commands to make, uses, dangers

aerobic exercise

virus and its structure

Pumping genes- how proteins made
how gene therapy works
we moved on to muscles- IGF-1
WHAT is this, how does it work, what it treats, how different forms of igf-1 arise
by splicing etc etc of mrna etc etc
what it treats- dystropy, antrpy.

isssues with gene therapy of igf-1 cannt last for long time. second injection of igf-1 to restore its desirable effects wnt be effective as 1st.
immune ystem can destroy viruses carrying igf-1 gene. how?

Catching cheats- how detection of gene therapy can occur
detecting the vector that delivers gene-muscle dropsy- mucle tissue is examined

Active Atrophy- we learn that atropy is caused by a process complex genetiv pathway-several genes that interact wiv each other that switch on other genes.

one method invovled in this is UPP- the breakdwon of proteins. this is when upp bings to myosin and actin. this label for destruction. the polypetide is hydrolsd at lowe activation enery broken down into ammino acids. this genes invovled are atrogenes- stimulate atrophy.

SO FAR GUYS hope to finish the article in next 4 hours.

this is what i have learnt so far, all the ins and outs you name it i dun it. how am i going so far

PS. after reading about igf-1 gonna try and buy a few injections.
Original post by tkoki1993
Notes for topic 8 done...
The layout of it is a bit messed up because my laptop broke so had to use my brother's netbook... long story short, the netbook is too small for me to see the layout of notes properly.
anyhoo here they are
http://www.4shared.com/document/rYvY5H9u/Unit_5_Biology_-_Topic_8.html

This stuff is EPIC :eek:

Cheers! :biggrin:

Any for topic 7? :s-smilie:
Original post by Parthenon93
This stuff is EPIC :eek:

Cheers! :biggrin:

Any for topic 7? :s-smilie:

Yes, he has uploaded it in this thread, check the link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31915342&highlight=
(edited 12 years ago)
I am giving biology unit 4, 5 and 6 this time ... and I already cashed in for my grade ... Does anyone know what will happen if I don't get a good grade and want to resit that unit? Will I have to just resit that unit and cash in again next time ... or will I have to resit ALL units?
Reply 2026
I am giving biology unit 4, 5 and 6 this time ... and I already cashed in for my grade ... Does anyone know what will happen if I don't get a good grade and want to resit that unit? Will I have to just resit that unit and cash in again next time ... or will I have to resit ALL units?

yh
Reply 2027
Prepare for the article and of course biological methods.
cut the story short:
i have spent 2 days on the article and so far:-
genes,mucscles,gym-how athletes use EPO, gene therapy nut shell, gene mutation of this dude giving him extra red blood cells.

secret weapon- gene therapy
learnt what it is, how it works, vectors used- adrenoviruses more attack form immune system but yet more favourable

EPO what it is, how it body commands to make, uses, dangers

aerobic exercise

virus and its structure

Pumping genes- how proteins made
how gene therapy works
we moved on to muscles- IGF-1
WHAT is this, how does it work, what it treats, how different forms of igf-1 arise
by splicing etc etc of mrna etc etc
what it treats- dystropy, antrpy.

isssues with gene therapy of igf-1 cannt last for long time. second injection of igf-1 to restore its desirable effects wnt be effective as 1st.
immune ystem can destroy viruses carrying igf-1 gene. how?

Catching cheats- how detection of gene therapy can occur
detecting the vector that delivers gene-muscle dropsy- mucle tissue is examined

Active Atrophy- we learn that atropy is caused by a process complex genetiv pathway-several genes that interact wiv each other that switch on other genes.

one method invovled in this is UPP- the breakdwon of proteins. this is when upp bings to myosin and actin. this label for destruction. the polypetide is hydrolsd at lowe activation enery broken down into ammino acids. this genes invovled are atrogenes- stimulate atrophy.

SO FAR GUYS hope to finish the article in next 4 hours.

this is what i have learnt so far, all the ins and outs you name it i dun it. how am i going so far

PS. after reading about igf-1 gonna try and buy a few injections
Okay im pretty well rehearsed in Unit 7 but nothing about Unit 8, the article or core practicals.

Exam on Monday and Tuesday aswell and I haven't done any past papers.

Definition of screwed.
Original post by gozatron
Okay im pretty well rehearsed in Unit 7 but nothing about Unit 8, the article or core practicals.

Definition of screwed.

Same position. ******* hell.
Do we EVER need to know anything that is out of the specification?

Because looking at the green book (concept led), it has soooooooooooo much more information that the specification! Are we actually supposed to learn or know all that, or are those just "increasing our interest in the subject"?
Do we EVER need to know anything that is out of the specification?

Because looking at the green book (concept led), it has soooooooooooo much more information that the specification! Are we actually supposed to learn or know all that, or are those just "increasing our interest in the subject"?

you need to be able to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar situations.... the specification is a guide to what you MUST know.... the green book can help you go a bit out of the way, and thus can HELP when it comes to the novel information presented in the examinations.... if you don't have time, i suggest just sticking to the spec
For the description of the method of practically measuring respiration rate, does it matter which test tube the small organisms are in? Because the CGP revision guide and the textbook show them differently. One has them in the tube with the syringe and one has them in the tube that is clipped at the top. I think I'm being silly here but it shouldn't make a difference should it?

I'm in the position where I'm rather unprepared for this exam. I will finish going through the specification hopefully today and spend tomorrow researching the article and doing past papers. What I'm worried is about the large synoptic content there always seems to be. In people's opinions what are the most likely synoptic elements to be tested? I figure I should look at the heart and look at genes but what else might be important?

It bugs me how the synoptic elements are not included in the specification for each unit like they are for other exams. There is so much content covered in the two years and no guidance on when it may be tested
Reply 2034
Original post by gozatron

Definition of screwed.

lOl same here!

Mon,Tue & Wed! Arghh! =/
Reply 2035

nice, thanks!

in these questions (Q6) it says that the human genes are separated using 'restriction endonucleases'. Would it not be sufficient to state they are seporated using restriction enzymes?
(edited 12 years ago)
Adeno-associated virus and adenoviruses are both viruses used for gene therapy why is the AAV not attached by the immune system/.???becuase it is small?how ???
people are talking about synaptic questions!!WHAT DO THE|Y MEAN?
do we get that based on the article or is it separate one?
Original post by Meesta
nice, thanks!

in these questions (Q6) it says that the human genes are separated using 'restriction endonucleases'. Would it not be sufficient to state they are seporated using restriction enzymes?

i always say ''restriction enzymes (also called restriction endonucleases)'' just to be sure :tongue:

Original post by Maria1234
Adeno-associated virus and adenoviruses are both viruses used for gene therapy why is the AAV not attached by the immune system/.???becuase it is small?how ???

antigens don't get recognised as easily on AAVs. i don't know why they don't recognised as much, as that is going in way beyond A2 knowledge. Might be something to do with affinity but who knows.
(edited 12 years ago)
there is 5 different forms of IGF-1, are all of them made in the live and muscle tissue?
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending