The Student Room Group

anyone who's doing history or english literature a-level?

history or english literature. which one do you or would you enjoy most and why? what skills do they require? which one would go well with biology and chemistry? i'm not sure what i want to do at uni yet so..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
English Literature because I now hate History :smile: Usual humanties skills really: insightful analysis, persuasive arguments, essay skills etc. I've no idea which one would go best tbh because they're at a completely different end of the spectrum to sciences.

edit: I think it also depends on the exam boards. AQA for Lit is ridiculous when it comes to timings etc but Edexcel for History are complete d**ks. Also depends on the syllabus, I find History REALLY boring because we've done WW2 for the 3rd time and its all about strategies, battles and figures, its just mind-numbing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I did History and English lit at AS and dropped English Lit for A2

I found that I enjoyed english lit, but when it came to the exam (we did aqa) the timings were tight and I found myself writing anything just to get words on the page because it didn't leave you with any time to think!

History on the other hand (we did aqa as well) I found easier and more interesting.

You have to form your own interpretations on both of the courses so I would say the skills are similar, you need to be analytical, do your own research ect...

I think taking either of those with biology and chemistry gives you a balance and would keep your options open for most degrees :smile:
English Literature is horrible. you don't even develop anything, and the exam boards are bastards especially AQA.
Historyis fantastic, at A Level you really develop your skillls and learn a lot. Do History.
Reply 4
I would say history is my most enjoyable subject to study, but the most difficult exam due to writing and timing etc. Me and history are quite funny, I considered dropping it when I first started GCSEs when I realised it wasn't just memorising people and dates like junior high and that there were thing called 'sources' you have to analyse. When I finished GCSEs I was determined never to do an essay subject again but somehow decided to take politics to keep my subjects more balanced, and then changed it to history at the beginning of 6th form.
Just take both? They're equally interesting subjects.
Reply 6
History is hard at A level.
Reply 7
History.

Why would anyone do English lit, to "discover" meanings that the author DID NOT intend at all.

Most tedious thing ever.
Reply 8
Original post by tehforum
History.

Why would anyone do English lit, to "discover" meanings that the author DID NOT intend at all.

Most tedious thing ever.

That is the exact feeling I always got when I did it at GCSE. It was like forcing some meaning onto every bit of writing, including things like consecutive words beginning with the same letter etc
Reply 9
I do English literature in A2, it helps if your a good writer and you actually enjoy reading. It teaches you how to develop your essay writing skills, analyse texts in depth and looks at context and critical interpretations.

Personally, you have to put in alot of hard work if you want to do really well. As someone who really enjoys reading, looking at the same texts over and over again has really turned me off reading in general :|
Reply 10
If you enjoy reading now, you won't at the end of A Level English Lit.
I do history and find it really interesting :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by onesoulfortwo
history or english literature. which one do you or would you enjoy most and why? what skills do they require? which one would go well with biology and chemistry? i'm not sure what i want to do at uni yet so..

Neither goes well with science. But pick history, if only because it isn't dreadful, like English Lit., and is actually rather good.
Reply 13
Original post by louiseyoung
English Literature is horrible. you don't even develop anything, and the exam boards are bastards especially AQA.
Historyis fantastic, at A Level you really develop your skillls and learn a lot. Do History.

I'm going to be doing AQA English Lit at A-level, why is AQA so bad? :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by GLOB
I'm going to be doing AQA English Lit at A-level, why is AQA so bad? :s-smilie:

Last summer my friend got his grade back and it said he got an E in the exam, which was pretty much impossible as he was the best in the class. He got it remarked and they gave him a B. Then he went and got full marks in the A2 exam. I don't think its a bad course but they are messing up the marking more and more frequently. It happened with A2 AQA history coursework last year as well...
Original post by pick92
Last summer my friend got his grade back and it said he got an E in the exam, which was pretty much impossible as he was the best in the class. He got it remarked and they gave him a B. Then he went and got full marks in the A2 exam. I don't think its a bad course but they are messing up the marking more and more frequently. It happened with A2 AQA history coursework last year as well...

I'm getting freaked out now by all these horror stories about the AQA English Literature B A-level. I'm doing it next year and I'm quite terrified at the prospect.:eek:
Do whichever you enjoy. Both usually have CW which is just really easy marks.
I will fight anyone who says English Literature is ****. If you are applying meanings that don't exist to a text it's because you haven't done enough research and applied enough of your own interpretative skill to a text, so you haven't been able to glean its true meaning. English Lit is not about making it up as you go along.
Reply 18
:gasp: Is English Lit really that hard? I've been toying it up in my mind as whether to do it, considering I only got a B at GCSE :s
Its just i actually enjoyed it, whilst i could do theology, because i got an A* at GCSE (RE) but its guaranteed to be mind-numbingly boring...
But i suppose its the end grade that matters most right... argh...
Reply 19
English Literature, as it, normally, holds more weight, but both are respectable.
I do both, and prefer English by far... History is ALOT of work, but that isn't to say English isn't :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending