The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoTheGeek
Wait until it's good a nicely healed fistula.
About 6 weeks ideally, but could be 2 if you're a quick healer.

Welcome to the land of pain...

It's been pierced about 3 months now, maybe a bit longer, it feels fully healed though to be fair, it's been very trouble-free...
Reply 5481
Septums you need to leave at least 6 months
Original post by cdsmith1990
It's been pierced about 3 months now, maybe a bit longer, it feels fully healed though to be fair, it's been very trouble-free...

I wouldn't even consider it for another 3 to 6 months. Better to wait then have an accident :smile:
Thanks :smile: In that case I'll wait until the start of next year. Definitely don't want to rush it..
Hey, I need a retainer for my lip for work - would this be the right thing to get? I've never worn one but the end fastening looks a bit small on that I'm worried it would go through =/

edit: would be useful if I posted the link lol :facepalm:

[X]
(edited 12 years ago)
Ive used retainers with little o rings on the end with no problems at all. Dont use them on fresh piercings though.

Edit, exactly that one!
(edited 12 years ago)
Great, this one is about 2 years old so it's all good, thanks for the fast reply I've left this far too late!
Original post by aliluvschoc

Original post by aliluvschoc
Hey, I need a retainer for my lip for work - would this be the right thing to get? I've never worn one but the end fastening looks a bit small on that I'm worried it would go through =/

edit: would be useful if I posted the link lol :facepalm:

[X]

I've got that but in the 'flesh' colour for my ears. I have a feeling the see through are far less noticeable though. They do a damn good job - took my Mum ages to realise my ears hadn't healed over.

---

I've had a username change since I last posted I think, but about 3 or 4 months ago, I had a helix piercing. All was going fine and I'll admit I stopped the salt water cleaning stuff. Now that it's more able to move around, I keep waking up and the ball part of the ring is right against the piercing at the front. I'm pretty sure that it's this movement that's causing it to hurt more and also seep yucky pale yellow stuff. I'm doing daily salt water cleanses, but is there anything else I can do to make it happy again?
Reply 5488
Original post by Aemiliana
I've got that but in the 'flesh' colour for my ears. I have a feeling the see through are far less noticeable though. They do a damn good job - took my Mum ages to realise my ears hadn't healed over.

---

I've had a username change since I last posted I think, but about 3 or 4 months ago, I had a helix piercing. All was going fine and I'll admit I stopped the salt water cleaning stuff. Now that it's more able to move around, I keep waking up and the ball part of the ring is right against the piercing at the front. I'm pretty sure that it's this movement that's causing it to hurt more and also seep yucky pale yellow stuff. I'm doing daily salt water cleanses, but is there anything else I can do to make it happy again?

Get your helix jewellery changed to a barbell or labret stud. If you want a ring eventually then wait until it's 100% healed before changing back to one.
Original post by Kate.

Original post by Kate.
Get your helix jewellery changed to a barbell or labret stud. If you want a ring eventually then wait until it's 100% healed before changing back to one.

I can't do that until I go back to uni, but yeah, that should have occurred to me that that would help! :facepalm: So I've got another month to put up with it before I can buy something new/get someone to take this out for me (yes, I'm that much of a wuss/I don't know how :colondollar:)
Reply 5490
I can't do that until I go back to uni, but yeah, that should have occurred to me that that would help! :facepalm: So I've got another month to put up with it before I can buy something new/get someone to take this out for me (yes, I'm that much of a wuss/I don't know how :colondollar:)

Are there no piercers near you now? It can be a bit fiddly to remove CBRs so if you're not very confident about it then fair enough, you might just end up pissing it off more! In the mean time try not to sleep on it then, and a lot of people find that chamomile tea bag compresses are very soothing for irritated piercings.
Original post by Kate.

Original post by Kate.
Are there no piercers near you now? It can be a bit fiddly to remove CBRs so if you're not very confident about it then fair enough, you might just end up pissing it off more! In the mean time try not to sleep on it then, and a lot of people find that chamomile tea bag compresses are very soothing for irritated piercings.

There's one, but it is the most disgusting, filthy places I have ever seen. I've had a bad enough experience with my lobes getting pierced in a half-way clean/dirty place, I just don't want to risk it. Yeah, moving it aggravates it and I imagine I'd move it a lot while trying to get the thing to undo!

I might try that, thanks! Even warm salt water helps massively, so hopefully the tea bag thing will work even better :yep:
Oh also, when I can get someone less squeamish than me to help me take out my BCR, I was thinking of getting one of those smooth segment rings (assuming my piercing is in a better condition). What's the typical size of the ones piercers put in? Like, what gauge and circumference? It's all so much more confusing than studs! :rolleyes:
Reply 5493
Oh also, when I can get someone less squeamish than me to help me take out my BCR, I was thinking of getting one of those smooth segment rings (assuming my piercing is in a better condition). What's the typical size of the ones piercers put in? Like, what gauge and circumference? It's all so much more confusing than studs! :rolleyes:

If the BCR you have now is perfect then when you get it changed over just measure the diameter. If it's a bit big/small then adjust by 1 or 2mm. You should know the gauge of your piercing - it's most likely 1.2mm but check with your piercer if you're not sure. You'd also need to know gauge & length for a labret stud so it's not really more confusing :tongue:
Original post by Kate.

Original post by Kate.
If the BCR you have now is perfect then when you get it changed over just measure the diameter. If it's a bit big/small then adjust by 1 or 2mm. You should know the gauge of your piercing - it's most likely 1.2mm but check with your piercer if you're not sure. You'd also need to know gauge & length for a labret stud so it's not really more confusing :tongue:

Yeah, it's fine. Okay, I'll do that! It was whatever the piercer used, so I'll go with 1.2mm?

Ah, true. :sad:
Reply 5495
Yeah, it's fine. Okay, I'll do that! It was whatever the piercer used, so I'll go with 1.2mm?

Ah, true. :sad:

1.2mm is most common but some piercers will use 1.6mm. Very few would use 1mm, so 1.2mm should be a safe bet (as long as you don't mind it shrinking up a little smaller if it is actually 1.6mm at the moment).
Original post by Kate.

Original post by Kate.
1.2mm is most common but some piercers will use 1.6mm. Very few would use 1mm, so 1.2mm should be a safe bet (as long as you don't mind it shrinking up a little smaller if it is actually 1.6mm at the moment).

Thanks! I don't overly mind it shrinking, as long as I can still get something through! The retainers I got were 1.6mm I think so when I'm brave enough, I'll take those out and the BCR and see if the ring's bigger or smaller.

---

Got it and tried it on for a while, they're pretty good. My mum thinks it looks like a tiny spot :lol: So much less noticeable and some people had to squint to see it properly. Looks like I made an effort for work anyway :tongue: I'll have to check out flesh colour ones I didn't know they did that too.
Reply 5498
I got a new job and I'm not allowed to wear a tongue piercing... any ideas? Reckon it'd be ok to wear a clear bar or something?
Reply 5499
Looking to get a microdermal/anchor ... whats the smallest size crystal/ball what goes on top you can have ?

Quick Reply

Latest