The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Im praying for all involved in the riots, particularly for the emergency services.
Reply 2541
Original post by Angelicus
Woot woot....I'm going to Salamanca as well!!!! I'll be with the Augustinian group so I might bump into you....

I am also greatly looking forward to going to Avila - it looks stunning!

There seem to be lots of people going to Salamanca. Brighton & Arundel are too :awesome:

Also, if anyone could say a prayer for the rioting in Birmingham (and London of course) - I was in town earlier but left pretty much right before everything broke out. Its so sad what is happening - such a mindless, pointless stupidity - so much destructive anger and pain :frown:

It's so sad. I spent a lot of yesterday evening being worried about various people (and being quite glad I'm not working in London this summer).
It's reached West London and Nottingham, where my sister is :frown:
Original post by yawn
1. Remind myself that by allowing the feelings to persist, I am directing that anger inwards and damaging my own psyche, besides not being constructive.
2. We cannot help our immediate responses, it's only OK provided we deal constructively with a negative emotion.
3. Either do something outwardly constructive such as facing the source of my anger and explaining that what they have done or said has been perceived as very unfair to me and thus why I am feeling angry - giving them the opportunity to explain to me why they acted in this perceived negative way and allowing them to right the wrong or explain to me if I have done anything that made them feel hostile to me, since communication is a two way process. If I am not in a position to 'challenge' them in this constructive way, I write down the entire scenario and read it back to myself which helps me to realise that, in the scheme of things, it is all quite trivial and that development of either a thick skin or a sense of humour would be valuable to me. Then I chuck the piece of paper away and get on with things. :smile:

These remedies really did help me adjust my attitudes and bring myself out of feelings of deep melancholy. I have a much more optimistic outlook on life, and am a 'doer' rather than just talking about it as I used to.

However, you my dear friend, are unique and what works for me or others won't necessarily work for you. And you stand to be helped most by presenting your own thoughts and remedies rather than those of others since your psychologist needs to know who you are in order to make suggestions that will benefit you. Besides, my emotional problems did not stem from the same illness as yours do.

God bless. :smile:

My psychologist was particularly impressed by your answers :yep:

I've just discovered all the free Catholic podcasts on iTunes :woo:
Reply 2544
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My psychologist was particularly impressed by your answers :yep:

Really! Thanks for sharing that with me...I feel chuffed that a professional thought that my ways of dealing with anger were appreciated by her/him. :colondollar:

I've just discovered all the free Catholic podcasts on iTunes :woo:

You know what to do with your spare time now, my friend? :biggrin:
Original post by yawn
Really! Thanks for sharing that with me...I feel chuffed that a professional thought that my ways of dealing with anger were appreciated by her/him. :colondollar:

You know what to do with your spare time now, my friend? :biggrin:

I do indeed :biggrin: Though next thing on my to-do list, apart from spending time with my sisters, is to work on my mental health-spirituality scrapbook. The hospital chaplain's away on retreat, which gives me a few weeks to think about what I'd like to ask him and work on :smile:
I won't be online tomorrow so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and blessed Feast of the Assumption tomorrow :smile:
Reply 2547

I won't be online tomorrow so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and blessed Feast of the Assumption tomorrow :smile:

To you too.

Have just left Avila, and we're on the way to Madrid. Salamanca was lovely. Atmosphere in Plaza Mayor was pretty crazy most nights.
Avila is absolutely beautiful, though my group ended up in absolute hysterics over lunch, much of which was caused by our seminarian. TLG I said a prayer for you in the convent. If you ever get a chance to visit, you really should do.
Original post by Aula
To you too.

Have just left Avila, and we're on the way to Madrid. Salamanca was lovely. Atmosphere in Plaza Mayor was pretty crazy most nights.
Avila is absolutely beautiful, though my group ended up in absolute hysterics over lunch, much of which was caused by our seminarian. TLG I said a prayer for you in the convent. If you ever get a chance to visit, you really should do.

Thank you so much :smile: I would love to visit Avila: St Teresa was my school house patron saint and I identify with Interior Castles so much. I must read her other writings :smile:

The hospital chaplain and I have agreed that I might be a contemplative of sorts :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2549

We'll miss you...make sure you're back on Tuesday. Before you go, have a look at the thread that talks about Mary's Immaculate Conception, her sinlessness and her assumption into heaven.

God bless :smile:

Thank you. It was commemorated at Mass this morning.
Reply 2551
Original post by barnetlad
Thank you. It was commemorated at Mass this morning.

The Bishops of England and Wales are looking to reinstate some of the Holy Days of Obligation that were abrogated in 2006. The consultation period ends shortly I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Please could you all remember my Grandad's cousin in your prayers? He was called home in his sleep yesterday morning after a short battle with cancer.
Prayers said.
Reply 2554
Original post by Ethereal
Please could you all remember my Grandad's cousin in your prayers? He was called home in his sleep yesterday morning after a short battle with cancer.

May his soul rest in peace...
Hi, sorry I've been really inactive as of late. Been super busy. Anything interesting happening?

Ethereal

May he rest in peace.
Reply 2556
Original post by adamrules247
Hi, sorry I've been really inactive as of late. Been super busy. Anything interesting happening?

Just the usual bearing of witness to the divinity of Jesus to our atheist friends...and receiving bountiful neg rep in response to their sense of frustration when they can't get the better of the debate. :wink:

I offer it up to Christ as my own personal little sacrifice. :smile:
Original post by yawn
Just the usual bearing of witness to the divinity of Jesus to our atheist friends...and receiving bountiful neg rep in response to their sense of frustration when they can't get the better of the debate. :wink:

I offer it up to Christ as my own personal little sacrifice. :smile:

This is why I haven't been on TSR for a while, I find the users so unfriendly and not actually willing to debate (unless it involves magical teapots, unicorns, etc.) I think the TSR Catholic Society should migrate to a nice Catholic forum to be honest.
Reply 2558
Original post by adamrules247
This is why I haven't been on TSR for a while, I find the users so unfriendly and not actually willing to debate (unless it involves magical teapots, unicorns, etc.) I think the TSR Catholic Society should migrate to a nice Catholic forum to be honest.

The trouble is that this sort of ethos starts at the top and cascades down. When you have one of the administrators who is high profile on TSR and who belongs to TSR Atheist Society, it's no wonder that more is not done to deal with the matter. And why a member of the paid staff should want to belong to one of the societies is beyond me. :confused: I wonder if the owners are aware...

The problem with deserting TSR is that it's then left to the worst elements to spread their propaganda to an easily manipulated population.
Original post by yawn
The trouble is that this sort of ethos starts at the top and cascades down. When you have one of the administrators who is high profile on TSR and who belongs to TSR Atheist Society, it's no wonder that more is not done to deal with the matter. And why a member of the paid staff should want to belong to one of the societies is beyond me. :confused: I wonder if the owners are aware...

The problem with deserting TSR is that it's then left to the worst elements to spread their propaganda to an easily manipulated population.

In fairness one of the admins/staff is Christian, he just isn't RC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending