The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I despair of picking a chairperson. We are all adults, we don't need to pick a chairperson. We are all capable of answering questions. I always feel like a bully when I'm chairperson picking people to answer questions. If they don't want to talk, they don't talk. They know they will get marked down in the professionalism judgements if they don't talk. It's just awkward if I try and make them. Also, the only peer teaching we do in PBL is maybe if I've seen something relevent at my job at a GP's or in my previous life as a biomed student that would help the group understand something, or if it isn't something you can research. I quite like PBL, but that's because I work better independently and don't like lectures.
Original post by Kinkerz
I understand what you're saying here, but with such a small sample size you can't assert much. I reckon less than 30% of my year would've been able to understand that passage. I don't think that's a bad thing either: I wouldn't look down on my doctor for now knowing it in such detail.

I totally agree, but if it were worded differently I think a greater number of students in both our years would have understood it. Explaining something complicated in simple language so a greater number of people understand it is an entirely different skill.

As long as my doctor could explain it to me (and all their patients) in a way that could be understood regardless of level of education and have enough detailed knowledge to answer slightly more searching questions. I would say that is enough detail.
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
I despair of picking a chairperson. We are all adults, we don't need to pick a chairperson. We are all capable of answering questions. I always feel like a bully when I'm chairperson picking people to answer questions. If they don't want to talk, they don't talk. They know they will get marked down in the professionalism judgements if they don't talk. It's just awkward if I try and make them. Also, the only peer teaching we do in PBL is maybe if I've seen something relevent at my job at a GP's or in my previous life as a biomed student that would help the group understand something, or if it isn't something you can research. I quite like PBL, but that's because I work better independently and don't like lectures.

We just rotate chair person, and essentially the char person doesn't really matter. (I don't think iv been doing PBL correctly loool)

I know what you mean about people being awkward in PBL, its so annoying.
Ah well, glad to hear you have got some improvements carcinoma re: teachers and examable material...and MedicineMan has seen some improvements since my day! Just goes to show how it all depends on the course...can't say I still like PBHell though :wink:
Original post by carcinoma
As long as my doctor could explain it to me (and all their patients) in a way that could be understood regardless of level of education and have enough detailed knowledge to answer slightly more searching questions. I would say that is enough detail.

I think sufficient detail to understand why pathology appears and why medications prescribed alleviate it is important. Additionally, to understand a lot of relevant research, a level of knowledge beyond what you're suggesting is often required.
Original post by Kinkerz
I think sufficient detail to understand why pathology appears and why medications prescribed alleviate it is important. Additionally, to understand a lot of relevant research, a level of knowledge beyond what you're suggesting is often required.

This is what I meant, although didn't actually say haha. And you are absolutely right about needing a better understanding to understand research.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by digitalis
Ah well, glad to hear you have got some improvements carcinoma re: teachers and examable material...and MedicineMan has seen some improvements since my day! Just goes to show how it all depends on the course...can't say I still like PBHell though :wink:

Tbh, I can't stand the effort they require either and how long the sessions are! I can count how many of them I actually did last year (including the frikkin write ups we had to do) after I realised just reading the lecture notes (or having a decent textbook(s)/wiki as your homepage/understanding a little bit about the cases) would suffice to pass the exams - that was my work ethic.

Our courses are so similar it scares me. If you just change the names of a few sessions/assessments we essentially have the same course structure.

What is a PBL write up? We have never been (well with my facilitators anyway) allowed us to use notes.

"the whole chairperson allocation, brainstorming, grouping/numbering issues etc" I dont really understand what issues?

In your Whole year PBL recap sessions, are they set out in a quiz types setting with explanations of the answers/physiology and anatomy of the answers then a run through of all the things you are supposed to have learnt?

It’s basically you writing up the case properly going through all the objectives and referencing it etc. It’s such a waste of time and is usually due in right before an ICA. They do not help you learn anything at all. Unnecessary work!

Basically, some facilitators insist you follow the bloody 7 step process - they'll stop you, ask you to group things together, number your points etc. when sometimes this is soooo unnecessary and the objectives can literally be decided 5 minutes after reading the case. Some tutors let you get on with it and I really like that! And when it’s time to decide who should be chair/scribe - the scribe is a useful job as you can see what you have discussed, but I don't see the point of a chair (and people generally don't like going for the role). You don't pick on people to speak (at least I don't), you just let the discussion flow, and have the awesome job of filling up the awkward silences in the sessions!

The whole year debrief sessions pretty much go through all the things you should have picked up from the pbl - it’s usually explained (not in great detail I should add as they do expect you to have covered it either in a lecture/pbl session already) and then you can ask questions at the end if you still had them. There's no quiz or whatever - that’s what the formative SAQs you get given at the end of the actual pbl group debrief are for.
Our courses are so similar it scares me. If you just change the names of a few sessions/assessments we essentially have the same course structure.

I think you could say that all the PBL schools have quite a similar course layout.
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
I despair of picking a chairperson. We are all adults, we don't need to pick a chairperson. We are all capable of answering questions. I always feel like a bully when I'm chairperson picking people to answer questions.

A chair IMO is useful when the student can competently lead the group,
when you said about picking people to answer questions it doesn't remind me of the PBL feedback and discussion that I know, where you play by ear and people chip in where it is appropriate, and the chair occaisionally putting an idea/question to the group, basically an informal structure.
What you describe sounds more structured, possibly daunting and may deter those who are shy from contributing, as they are put on the spot, maybe this is part of the chair's responsibility, to stimulate discussion with tact, in a way that doesn't repress it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Man

Basically, some facilitators insist you follow the bloody 7 step process - they'll stop you, ask you to group things together, number your points etc. when sometimes this is soooo unnecessary and the objectives can literally be decided 5 minutes after reading the case. Some tutors let you get on with it and I really like that! And when it’s time to decide who should be chair/scribe - the scribe is a useful job as you can see what you have discussed, but I don't see the point of a chair (and people generally don't like going for the role). You don't pick on people to speak (at least I don't), you just let the discussion flow, and have the awesome job of filling up the awkward silences in the sessions!

I am so glad I didn't have to do PBL like that like I did at Keele *vigorous nod*. We would just waste so much time doing some steps when it didn't really help ad could be skipped. Though I guess here isn't true PBL as we get our objectives given to us :love: They did give us some bizarre stuff though sometimes. I actually prefer chairing to scribing as you don't have to work double speed trying to write up your notes and the ones on the whiteboard.
Original post by Lantana
I am so glad I didn't have to do PBL like that like I did at Keele *vigorous nod*. We would just waste so much time doing some steps when it didn't really help ad could be skipped. Though I guess here isn't true PBL as we get our objectives given to us :love: They did give us some bizarre stuff though sometimes. I actually prefer chairing to scribing as you don't have to work double speed trying to write up your notes and the ones on the whiteboard.

Here they make us make them up, then give them to us. (lol)

That's mean! Although we did used to play guess the topics at times.

Same. It undermines the process of generating them somewhat.
Ooh, fresh meat tomorrow. Is anyone else getting vicariously nervous (or is it just because I have a younger sister getting her A2 results)?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Is anyone else getting vicariously nervous (or is it just because I have a younger sister getting her A2 results)?

Same position. Pretty big jump between firm and insurance too.
Original post by Kinkerz
Same position. Pretty big jump between firm and insurance too.

What is she planning on doing? Mine has firmed Cardiff for psych.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
What is she planning on doing? Mine has firmed Cardiff for psych.

Biology at Leeds. Not sure she's convinced by her subject choice though. Ultimately she just wants to do nothing and everything just work out fine without any effort on her part.
Original post by Kinkerz
Biology at Leeds. Not sure she's convinced by her subject choice though. Ultimately she just wants to do nothing and everything just work out fine without any effort on her part.

:dunno: That's worked for me thus far. My sister is a grafter, she works far harder than I ever did.
Can i post here yet? :sexface:
Original post by gozatron
Can i post here yet? :sexface:

Traditionally, not until you actually start uni. But congratulations :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending