Reply 2701
Original post by PeeWeeDan
Xiang... you should meet my wives.

Note the use of wives (plural)
Interesting. xD
Original post by kpatb
Note the use of wives (plural)
Interesting. xD

Even more interesting is the fact both of them are guys.
Original post by philippat
hey everyone(:
can someone please explain to me the whole thing with college families, parents and children? I've seen a few people posting about this but I don't know what is it. I want a family too(:

Right, I'll do my best - I think this is pretty true of most Colleges, although there will be individual variations. :p:

Basically, when freshers come to Cambridge, they're allocated to a "family". This will consist of several "parents" who are second or third years, some of whom will be doing your subject. You'll also have siblings (again, some will do your subject) and there are probably 8 people in a family in total. Within the first few days of arriving, you'll have a "family night" to get to know them and to ensure that you've got someone to show you the ropes for the first few weeks. Formal family duties end after about the first term, but some people are really enthusiastic about it - I know last year my dad tried to organise two family formals a term and then we went for a meal before we all left in the summer to say goodbye to the exchange students returning to America.

In essence, it's like a mentoring scheme, but much more fun! :h:
Original post by philippat
hey everyone(:
can someone please explain to me the whole thing with college families, parents and children? I've seen a few people posting about this but I don't know what is it. I want a family too(:

Tortious is right for her college. It's not the same in every college though. For example, Christ's have parents who don't do your subject and siblings who do. Families are nowhere near as big as 8. Robinson do Aunts and Uncles (apparently to avoid incest?).

It's basically 2nd (3rd years in some colleges?) who look after you and show you the ropes :smile: And then you can marry in freshers year yourself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2705
Even more interesting is the fact both of them are guys.

:rofl:Even better!

I think I'm going to enjoy Cambridge.

(I might fail my degree, but at least I'll have fun!)
Original post by Amy Luo
hey, i'm studying engineering in 2012 at Jesus college too.
Do you know much about Jesus college? I haven't got any infomation about it yet.
ie welcome pack and accommodation etc

I went to see it actually, ages ago, but otherwise i don't know much...
haven't got any welcome packs or anything, though got a letter today saying id receive a fresher pack.. probably similar.

Also received an email about accommodation a while ago, where i put preferences down, though i haven't heard which i got or anything yet.
Original post by azhao
Don't worry about the local "Cambridge" party, no-one I know went to one of those. Have you had word about college parents in your letter yet?

Oh good, i didn't fancy going but i was worried incase everybody else was. And nope, what do the college parents actually do?
Original post by iammichealjackson
Oh good, i didn't fancy going but i was worried incase everybody else was. And nope, what do the college parents actually do?

They're actually quite good networking events... I didn't go to mine but people who went said they were good ideas.
Reply 2709
They're actually quite good networking events... I didn't go to mine but people who went said they were good ideas.

I think they might be pretty fun to go to, and it means you know a couple people before you turn up :smile:

Anyone else planning to go to their's? If yes, which one?

Edit: I forgot to mention, mine is the Edinburgh one :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2710
hey, does anyone know the differences between the different bands of accomodation i.e band 1,2,3,4 and 5?
Reply 2711
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hi everyone!

I'll be starting an English degree. Feel free to message me if you're doing English :smile:

When I checked my UCAS Track I noticed that my Insurance Choice had been updated since August 15th and my Firm Choice (Cambridge) since August 16th. Does this mean that I would have seen the decisions had I logged on earlier on these particular dates?

Also, roughly how much would an ensuite room cost (I know it varies between the colleges) and do you have to pay full terms worth fees upfront?

No, track was frozen until results day so you wouldn't have been able to see anything.

My ensuite room with living room is costing me ~£100pw next year. But Emma is a pretty cheap college in terms of accommodation so I don't know if that's representative. If you have student finance your fees are paid in two instalments - once in October and again around February. I don't know if there is a different pattern for those without tuition fee loans though!
Reply 2712
TRACK STATUS:

The current status of your application is:
Congratulations! Your place at University of Cambridge (C05) to study Mathematics (G100) has been confirmed.

but i still can't receive email from UCAS/CAM . lol
Any other Econ freshers around :ninja:
Original post by Zoedotdot
No, track was frozen until results day so you wouldn't have been able to see anything.

My ensuite room with living room is costing me ~£100pw next year. But Emma is a pretty cheap college in terms of accommodation so I don't know if that's representative. If you have student finance your fees are paid in two instalments - once in October and again around February. I don't know if there is a different pattern for those without tuition fee loans though!

:eek2:

I'm paying £96.21 per week for a room with a bed, a wardrobe and a sink! Is there anything which Emma doesn't do better than the rest of Cambridge? :p:
Original post by Tortious

I'm paying £96.21 per week for a room with a bed, a wardrobe and a sink! Is there anything which Emma doesn't do better than the rest of Cambridge? :p:

Have fun? And I don't think Emma is the cheapest... my room was MASSIVE and cheaper than Emma...
Reply 2716

Pretty much no :p: I just looked it up, and our rents go from £66.02 - £97.34. My room next year is the top grade (individual set), previously I've paid around £70pw for my room. Apparently our rooms aren't as nice as at other places? But I've never had any complaints, all three of my previous rooms have been freshly decorated, spacious and generally very comfortable places to live :smile: And I know next year's room will be the same because my boyfriend had it while I was on my year abroad so I've spent a few weeks in it already!
Have fun? And I don't think Emma is the cheapest... my room was MASSIVE and cheaper than Emma...

Yeah, I've been to some film nights in Austin's room in Avery Court and he seemed to have gotten a good deal!

Original post by Zoedotdot
Pretty much no :p: I just looked it up, and our rents go from £66.02 - £97.34. My room next year is the top grade (individual set), previously I've paid around £70pw for my room. Apparently our rooms aren't as nice as at other places? But I've never had any complaints, all three of my previous rooms have been freshly decorated, spacious and generally very comfortable places to live :smile: And I know next year's room will be the same because my boyfriend had it while I was on my year abroad so I've spent a few weeks in it already!

Mine's top grade too, and I'm living in the (in)famous Foundress Court. I stayed in a nice room in the front quad when I was on the Law Conference and discovered this year that it's a Scholar's Room - to be honest, I don't think it was much "better" than the one I was living in last year (it's in quite a pokey area of the College and its gyp room's too small to cook in). I think the accommodation's pretty good overall - they've used plain navy carpets like you used to get in primary school, for instance, so it seems to age well. :yep:

Spent a few weeks in it already, eh? :sexface: :p:

From what I've seen some people in Emma had a lot of fun :rolleyes:

What was the price of your rent? Are you ensuite? In first year I got a massive room as well and that was only a middle band.

And we still get our laundry done for us :p:
Reply 2719

Mine's top grade too, and I'm living in the (in)famous Foundress Court. I stayed in a nice room in the front quad when I was on the Law Conference and discovered this year that it's a Scholar's Room - to be honest, I don't think it was much "better" than the one I was living in last year (it's in quite a pokey area of the College and its gyp room's too small to cook in). I think the accommodation's pretty good overall - they've used plain navy carpets like you used to get in primary school, for instance, so it seems to age well. :yep:

Spent a few weeks in it already, eh? :sexface: :p:

Is that the one that was inspired by some kind of Japanese partnership with Pembroke? Or am i totally making it up? I went to Pembroke on the MML open day and remember some kind of Japanese inspiration story... It looks nice anyway :smile: All my memories of Pembroke are sort of blurry because the last time I was there was for the May Ball, and I spent most of that eating, drinking or on the dodgems :p: The big downside to Emma accommodation is the lack of decent cooking facilities - my room has a little kitchenette next year, but it only has a sink and a microwave, not so good.

:sexface: :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending