The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atomos
read over my personal statement earlier to highlight good stuff to keep in.

i highlighted three sentences.
no wonder i never got in last year, its bloody terrible :facepalm:

I think everyone thinks that...

I found my 2010 PS a while back and my face was literally this: :zomg:
I can't believe I sent that off.

Then I read my 2011 PS and was like :facepalm:
I moan at people for making the mistakes I made :redface:

At least you now know how to write a PS hopefully :smile:
I am still yet to write a good PS. In all fairness you don't need a good PS if you apply correctly. Just go for UKCAT cut-off universities and you'll be fine :colone:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I think everyone thinks that...

I found my 2010 PS a while back and my face was literally this: :zomg:
I can't believe I sent that off.

Then I read my 2011 PS and was like :facepalm:
I moan at people for making the mistakes I made :redface:

At least you now know how to write a PS hopefully :smile:

ahh dear

well at least i know how NOT to write a ps :redface:
Original post by atomos
ahh dear

well at least i know how NOT to write a ps :redface:

That's a start :yep:

And you should hopefully know about the PS Helpers such as myself on the site so I hope you choose to use us to get some feedback on your personal statement :smile:

The reviewer gets a small reward. You get a detailed review by a medic/doctor that knows what they're doing (we're trained by mentors). Win win! :yep:
Covered in glitter wearing a cowboy hat. (not as bad as it sounds. . . )
I love a bit of fancy dress.all my mates going away.

Some nights are great, other nights are awesome.

More nights like this and I actually might not be down about all my mates going away.
What happened with the facebook group?

Original post by atomos
read over my personal statement earlier to highlight good stuff to keep in.

i highlighted three sentences.
no wonder i never got in last year, its bloody terrible :facepalm:

same thing happened to me, but then a feedback letter from St Andrews did say my PS was very good so maybe we are just exaggerating! I have made some changes and its done!!

Now I just have to practice for the UKCAT!
Reply 3506
Original post by areyousure?
What happened with the facebook group?

same thing happened to me, but then a feedback letter from St Andrews did say my PS was very good so maybe we are just exaggerating! I have made some changes and its done!!

Now I just have to practice for the UKCAT!

Well, I don't think anyone has made it - I know I suggested it, but then realised I didn't know how...
Original post by twelve
Well, I don't think anyone has made it - I know I suggested it, but then realised I didn't know how...

so then, should I make one :P
so then, should I make one :P

you should, I would but I cba.
Original post by twelve

Original post by joemullally
you should, I would but I cba.

Facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/groups/154724997947936/

Let me know if you want to be Admin :P
We can do it this year guys.

I have hope.
Just wanted to wish all of you guys best of luck for the next UCAS cycle!:smile:
Reply 3512
Likewise.

Wishing you all the best of luck for this UCAS Cycle!!!
Reply 3513

Thankyouuu :biggrin:

I joined :smile:

Original post by garlicbreadman

Original post by Vulpes

Thankyou both :smile: And also good luck to everyone else here - we all deserve it!
OK gotta hand in my application soon, last minute question

Those of you who have just gotten jobs for your gap year, are you putting it down under the employment section of your UCAS form? do you have to put it down?
Original post by twelve
I don't think it makes a difference really does it?

Got a meeting with my old form teacher on Monday to persuade her to write exactly what I want in my reference, and for her to give me no practical advice on my personal statement :biggrin: Will be productive I'm sure...

AND BRILLIANT NEWS! My references have FINALLY come through, so I now have forms to fill out to get uniform (really confusing form... I have no idea what size I'll be, or how many to order or what. I only want the dress really, cause the trousers and tunic will look really funny on me :/) and an equality and diversity form to say 'yes, I'm a white female, and I do consider myself to be British'

AND AND AND, finally decided where I'm going to apply. Sheffield, Leicester, Peninsula and Glasgow (ahh, four hours on the train :/)

I'm feeling pretty cheerful today - although yesterday I had a bit of a cry to the boyfriend. Was feeling a bit down about the whole being left behind thing :frown:

is the uniform for your HCA job? and sheffield??!!!???!!! you mustve got a crazy UKCAT score lol

oooo facebook group :biggrin: (y) just asked to join :biggrin:
Original post by joemullally
22nd of oct is too late but 22nd of sept is fine.
Remeber UCAS only opens on the 15th.
Do you know where you'd apply if you got a good/average/bad UKCAT though because it can be a big decision and sing an application.

I'd write down a list of "if it goes well" and "If it doesn't go so well" and "If it's not brilliant but it doesn't cause me to wanna shoot myself" list of uni's based on your UKCAT score.

If i'm completely honest, I dont really know what different unis want in terms of UKCAT... just sheffield and Barts are UKCAT whores and liverpool dont use UKCAT and the rest are somewhere inbetween lol ... I keep on trying to make my list but my mum keeps on interfering lol...

my current list of unis are (if chemistry remark goes to plan)
Liverpool
Manchester
St Georges
Kings

Remark doesnt go to plan, I'll retake and do
Peninsula
Kings(EMDP)
Liverpool
Manchester
Reply 3518
Original post by bertstare
OK gotta hand in my application soon, last minute question

Those of you who have just gotten jobs for your gap year, are you putting it down under the employment section of your UCAS form? do you have to put it down?

I hadn't even thought of this! Any previous reapplicants got an answer?

Original post by tkoki1993
is the uniform for your HCA job? and sheffield??!!!???!!! you mustve got a crazy UKCAT score lol

Yeahh the uniform is for my HCA job :smile: Its quite exciting... I've been looking at fob watches on amazon :P

And I got 752.5 average... so pretty crazy. I still think the sheet is lying everytime I look at it - especially considering I got 665 last year!

Original post by tkoki1993
If i'm completely honest, I dont really know what different unis want in terms of UKCAT... just sheffield and Barts are UKCAT whores and liverpool dont use UKCAT and the rest are somewhere inbetween lol ... I keep on trying to make my list but my mum keeps on interfering lol...

my current list of unis are (if chemistry remark goes to plan)
Liverpool
Manchester
St Georges
Kings

Remark doesnt go to plan, I'll retake and do
Peninsula
Kings(EMDP)
Liverpool
Manchester

Have a look at the UKCAT wiki on here - it tells you cutoffs for where they've used them, and also how they use it. Some (I think BSMS?) only use it as a very last measure to distinguish between cnadidates right at the end. Whereas some (like Glasgow, Sheffield and Barts) use a cutoff - they will only interview the top x candidates in terms of UKCAT. Their cutoffs with vary - I think Glasgow is likely to be in the high 600s, but Sheffields is likely to be in the 700s. Leicester use a scoring system (along with Edinburgh I think?) and you get points depending on what your score was, which are then added on to the rest of your application score. Leeds adds an extra point if you get an average above 700.

Its definitely worth a bit of research!
So I'm basically a re-applicant too, and I'm lost...to those who have a job eg HCA how did you get it, because I've applied to so many and keep getting turned down!

Also in the personal statement do you actually write your gap year plans, like "I plan to do this" etc?

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending