The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Marian aspects of the church! :woo: :yeah: :woo:

How did this lady go about that then? :biggrin:

In an ever so slightly gruff fashion pushed the worlds most boring leaflet into our hand hands and uttered and a Scottish accent, "will you take some of these". I felt bad but we started laughing after she'd gone (she'd gone to the Cath Soc table obviously not knowing it was us). The Church of Scotland (or at least I think she was CofS) chaplain (who's also the main university chaplain) came over and spoke to us so we presented them to her and she proudly told us she was a member!!
Original post by adamrules247
In an ever so slightly gruff fashion pushed the worlds most boring leaflet into our hand hands and uttered and a Scottish accent, "will you take some of these". I felt bad but we started laughing after she'd gone (she'd gone to the Cath Soc table obviously not knowing it was us). The Church of Scotland (or at least I think she was CofS) chaplain (who's also the main university chaplain) came over and spoke to us so we presented them to her and she proudly told us she was a member!!

What, so the main uni chaplain is a secret atheist? Or did I just misunderstand that? :lolwut:
What, so the main uni chaplain is a secret atheist? Or did I just misunderstand that? :lolwut:

I think, perhaps, she may belong to all the Faith (or lack of faith as our atheist friends remind us :teehee: ) socities. She's got the title Rev. so I don't think she's an atheist. Can't be sure though :ninja:
I think, perhaps, she may belong to all the Faith (or lack of faith as our atheist friends remind us :teehee: ) socities. She's got the title Rev. so I don't think she's an atheist. Can't be sure though :ninja:

Ah right. That makes more sense :biggrin:

You never know. My tutorial partner claims his school chaplain doesn't believe in God and that it was kinda obvious :s-smilie: Also a friend of my sister's wanted to become an Anglican vicar even though he doesn't believe in God. When my sister pointed out the slight flaw there, he said that a belief in God isn't necessary in the Anglican church because it's all about tea and cake... :lolwut:

Some strange (would be) ministers in the world :sadnod:
Ah right. That makes more sense :biggrin:

You never know. My tutorial partner claims his school chaplain doesn't believe in God and that it was kinda obvious :s-smilie: Also a friend of my sister's wanted to become an Anglican vicar even though he doesn't believe in God. When my sister pointed out the slight flaw there, he said that a belief in God isn't necessary in the Anglican church because it's all about tea and cake... :lolwut:

Some strange (would be) ministers in the world :sadnod:

Yep. There's was a Catholic priest who was de-frocked a few years ago saying he didn't believe that ANYONE called Jesus who could be identified with the Jesus of the gospels (despite the fact there's a consensus from historians he existed). He just believed in the "be nice to each other" teachings. Strange fellow.
Yep. There's was a Catholic priest who was de-frocked a few years ago saying he didn't believe that ANYONE called Jesus who could be identified with the Jesus of the gospels (despite the fact there's a consensus from historians he existed). He just believed in the "be nice to each other" teachings. Strange fellow.

We were learning in RE about anti-realism and "the God between us". It's the idea that god isn't actually a physical, real being, but he can be "real" for us, if we find meaning for the word "god" in our lives.
Original post by glam_&_glitzy
We were learning in RE about anti-realism and "the God between us". It's the idea that god isn't actually a physical, real being, but he can be "real" for us, if we find meaning for the word "god" in our lives.

Hmmm, I've never liked philosophies like that. Is this a Catholic school?
Hmmm, I've never liked philosophies like that. Is this a Catholic school?

It's not really the school that matters, its the course. The same subject matter will be taught in every classroom doing Philosophy & Ethics.
Thanks to those of you who prayed for my tutor Jo. Facebook stalking indicates that she safely delivered a baby girl named Grace into the world yesterday :smile:
Thanks to those of you who prayed for my tutor Jo. Facebook stalking indicates that she safely delivered a baby girl named Grace into the world yesterday :smile:

Oh jolly good. This is a minor thing but could I have a prayer for my fingers. I badly burnt them earlier and am in a lot of pain (though less so than earlier).
Oh jolly good. This is a minor thing but could I have a prayer for my fingers. I badly burnt them earlier and am in a lot of pain (though less so than earlier).

I'm doing a rosary right now, so will include your fingers in my prayers :console:
I'm doing a rosary right now, so will include your fingers in my prayers :console:

Thanks :smile: The annoying thing is is that I got them from trying to do a good act. And ended up touching a just turned off cooking hob, very hot.
Reply 3052
We had all night adoration last night. Amazing.

I left again at about half 4 though, as I was falling asleep whilst saying the rosary :colondollar:
(I'd intentionally left for a couple of hours to get a bit of sleep at about 1)

Keeping you guys in my prayers.
Original post by Aula

I left again at about half 4 though, as I was falling asleep whilst saying the rosary :colondollar:

Wow that must have been an amazing experience :smile:
Reply 3054
Original post by Aula

I so admire your dedication...and tenacity.

Our PP asked that those who offered to spend some time with Christ during all night adoration spend an hour with Him...you must have done a whole lot longer.

Thanks also for the prayers for us. A prayer is being said for you right now.

God bless. :smile:
Keeping you all in my prayers too. Please keep me in yours as I am finding the return to work very demanding and as a result am very, very tired. Fortunately I have a very supportive husband who understands!

On the subject of atheists in the clergy my father in law (God rest his soul) was an Anglican vicar who had lost his faith several decades ago but continued to 'work'. The biggest shock I had was when I tried to discuss prayer with him and he said that I may as well pray to the fairies at the bottom of the garden. Of course no one can judge the state of his soul when he died, but I always include him in my prayers and hope that he found peace. He had experienced enormous suffering in his life - extreme poverty as a child, dreadful experiences as a POW of the Japanese, then the death of his wife at a quite young age. He was a very difficult but sad man. RIP.
Prayer said for you ABE :hugs:

PS. I always thought you were male :getmecoat:
Original post by Aula

Wow, that's some stamina :biggrin:
Original post by Aula

I love adoration :h:

And I'm keeping you in mine :smile: Prayers said for all of you :biggrin:

Plus get this, my university Catholic soceity signed at least, and probably a lot more, 20 members up. Also got into a debate with a girl in the CU about confession, she said at the end she was "impressed with my knowledge of scripture", it was quite embarrassing, being praised like that :colondollar:
Plus get this, my university Catholic soceity signed at least, and probably a lot more, 20 members up. Also got into a debate with a girl in the CU about confession, she said at the end she was "impressed with my knowledge of scripture", it was quite embarrassing, being praised like that :colondollar:

That's a great thing. Well done on being a spokesman for the Church :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending