University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy__power

If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know in here or PM me :yes:

Are you making it a sticky?
Reply 41
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Are you making it a sticky?

I don't have that power, unfortunately. Not here anyway!

I did want to but the powers that be want to see how much traffic it gets I think before they do that which is fair enough really :smile:

The hope is that, even if there are not many questions to be answered (as hopefully I should have addressed most) it can be kept relevant by merging threads pertaining to this into it and thus showing that it is worth being sticky.
I don't have that power, unfortunately. Not here anyway!

I did want to but the powers that be want to see how much traffic it gets I think before they do that which is fair enough really :smile:

The hope is that, even if there are not many questions to be answered (as hopefully I should have addressed most) it can be kept relevant by merging threads pertaining to this into it and thus showing that it is worth being sticky.

Oh, I see. I don't know how this kind of thing works. I think the subject is definitely worth making a sticky about, if only to let people know that transfering from a university perceived as 'not very good' to one which is 'higher up' is not as easy as they seem to think. The number of people who intend to do this would lead to some universities being only attended by first years who then absconded immediately afterwards.
Is it worth trying to transfer if you haven't met the A level grades for that particular uni? For example, I got AAB but if I were to transfer it'd be to an AAA uni...do you need the A levels required or does the first year of uni override this at all?
Original post by judgejohndeed
Is it worth trying to transfer if you haven't met the A level grades for that particular uni? For example, I got AAB but if I were to transfer it'd be to an AAA uni...do you need the A levels required or does the first year of uni override this at all?

You usually have to meet the entry criteria for the course.
Reply 45
Oh, I see. I don't know how this kind of thing works. I think the subject is definitely worth making a sticky about, if only to let people know that transfering from a university perceived as 'not very good' to one which is 'higher up' is not as easy as they seem to think. The number of people who intend to do this would lead to some universities being only attended by first years who then absconded immediately afterwards.

I agree, very few people seem to be aware of how the process works in reality. There is still more for me to say about that to be honest and places where greater clarity can be achieved, but I wrote what is there with a pretty bad headache and I still have it so shall be making improvements at another time!
Reply 46
University Transfer FAQ

Hello.

I noticed that there have recently been a reasonably high volume of questions about this and, as I cannot be bothered to always make the kind of detailed replies that are appropriate, I thought it would be good to make this thread. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions for improvements and additions because obviously the better this is the more useful it will be. It was written up very rapidly by me a little earlier and is subject to considerable editing at some point.

Let me know what you think please :smile:

Thanks

Why do people transfer?

Spoiler

First steps and initial correspondence

Spoiler

The UCAS Application

Spoiler

What about a reference?

Spoiler

What about a personal statement?

Spoiler

What will my offer be contingent upon?

Spoiler

Other actions you will need to take and considerations

Spoiler

You got anything for transferring course at the same uni?????????? (first year)
I agree, very few people seem to be aware of how the process works in reality. There is still more for me to say about that to be honest and places where greater clarity can be achieved, but I wrote what is there with a pretty bad headache and I still have it so shall be making improvements at another time!

Sorry about the headache. Possibly made worse by staring at a computer screen. Yes, including a warning about going to one university with the sole aim of 'trading up' might be a good idea. There really isn't an easy 'back door route' into a better university than your A levels allow, in most cases.
Reply 48
Original post by judgejohndeed

There is no hard rule saying you have to have the grades, as there isn't if you apply normally, but the first year certainly doesn't override it. They will look at your application in context. Take English for example - if you have AAB and a first year percentage of 80% there is a reasonable chance that an AAA university will take you because, although your A levels were deficient, you have demonstrated a lot of ability or at least a willingness to work very hard. However, if you have AAB and a non-exceptional score it is rather less likely. The converse is also true - a university asking for BBB probably wouldn't take you if you tried to transfer with 47%.

It is a misconception that X automatically becomes more important than Y but obviously doing well enables you to present a stronger case. I do wish to impress upon you that even if you have 100% you will not be accepted if the modules are not sufficiently similar and they are not satisfied that what you have done has prepared you enough for their course.
Reply 49
Original post by Iqbal007
You got anything for transferring course at the same uni?????????? (first year)

That is very common.

It is usually possible in the fist few weeks if you meet A level prerequisites and after the first year if you meet module prerequisites - meaning you have passed the core modules for the subject you wish to switch to. University policy does vary though.
Reply 50
Sorry about the headache. Possibly made worse by staring at a computer screen. Yes, including a warning about going to one university with the sole aim of 'trading up' might be a good idea. There really isn't an easy 'back door route' into a better university than your A levels allow, in most cases.

It is, but it struck when I was about 25 words into writing this and I was determined to get it sorted so just did my best. The screen is not helping but it isn't quite as bad now that I have taken in a lot of water which makes me think it may have been at least partially dehydration.

Yes, I will do some highlighting and such to make clear which are the salient points :smile:
Reply 51
That is very common.

It is usually possible in the fist few weeks if you meet A level prerequisites and after the first year if you meet module prerequisites - meaning you have passed the core modules for the subject you wish to switch to. University policy does vary though.

Reply 52

Why the face?

Is there something you don't understand?

Feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 53
Why the face?

Is there something you don't understand?

Feel free to ask :smile:

Nah its because of my D is further maths :/ i flopped badly in A2 for it............ so i dont meet the entry requirements for the course i want to transfer to
Reply 54
I am going to be starting my first year next month and am hoping to transfer into the second year of another uni. My question is regarding my a levels. The university that I am hoping to transfer to has higher a levels requirements than I currently have. I am planning to retake some units while at university to bump up my a level grades to be able to transfer.
Do you think the university will mind about this and how would I go about explaining all this to them?
Thanks for your help.
Reply 55
Nah its because of my D is further maths :/ i flopped badly in A2 for it............ so i dont meet the entry requirements for the course i want to transfer to

It is worth contacting them and asking anyway especially if your university course has a maths element that is more difficult than FM whereby you can show that you are more capable than that. Never be afraid to ask them as the worst they can do is say no.
Reply 56
Original post by U.Ahmed
I am going to be starting my first year next month and am hoping to transfer into the second year of another uni. My question is regarding my a levels. The university that I am hoping to transfer to has higher a levels requirements than I currently have. I am planning to retake some units while at university to bump up my a level grades to be able to transfer.
Do you think the university will mind about this and how would I go about explaining all this to them?
Thanks for your help.

I won't second guess how much they will or won't mind as it will vary massively but they will of course take it into consideration. You will be engaged in a certain amount of email discourse prior to making a formal application and then is the time do express any and all information that you feel contextualises your application. :smile:
Reply 57
I won't second guess how much they will or won't mind as it will vary massively but they will of course take it into consideration. You will be engaged in a certain amount of email discourse prior to making a formal application and then is the time do express any and all information that you feel contextualises your application. :smile:

Thanks for that, really helped. It's just I have one of my a levels which is a mile off what they require so I am retaking this, which is something I was going to do regardless of transferring to another university. When they ask for my a level grades would I tell them what I have got or would I say it is 'pending'.
Thanks once again.
Reply 58
Original post by U.Ahmed
Thanks for that, really helped. It's just I have one of my a levels which is a mile off what they require so I am retaking this, which is something I was going to do regardless of transferring to another university. When they ask for my a level grades would I tell them what I have got or would I say it is 'pending'.
Thanks once again.

You would tell them what you have but that you are retaking it, and include some excuse about why you did badly the first time. Officially, on the UCAS form, you would put it twice - once as D and once as pending with the different dates as appropriate :smile:
Reply 59
You would tell them what you have but that you are retaking it, and include some excuse about why you did badly the first time. Officially, on the UCAS form, you would put it twice - once as D and once as pending with the different dates as appropriate :smile:

Oh I understand it now. Thank you so much. This is a really good thread, very helpful and a very good idea to put it together.
Thanks.

Quick Reply