The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twelve
I'm thinking of swapping Peninsula for Southhampton or Barts now :/

I'm not entirely sure why, the more I think about it, the more I feel like applying to Peninsula isn't right for me. I have to keep reminding myself why I'm applying there, which isn't exactly a good sign. I think maybe its because their admissions isn't quite as clear cut as the other places I'm applying.... but maybe its something completely different.

Everything I'm seeing about Barts is making me think I'd like it, but I just have a thing against living in London I think. I don't know why :/ And I haven't done much research into Southhampton, but the whole no interview thing sounds like it would be good for me.

I am applying to Peninsula and Southampton (until I change my mind again :P) and I think they are good choices. Barts is really nice too, the only thing I don't like is the location as you said.

Southampton does not have a very clear admission either... apparently you need a very very good PS and a UKCAT from 580+ . So I think that makes it a bit (very) subjective, so I am not sure :P

Barts is now using a new criteria which I find very confusing but at least they tell you what they are doing!

Just think about how you may have to spend 5/6 years in one of those unis and only apply to those where you think you could do that.
Original post by tkoki1993
I dont want an ensuite room. I'm really looking forward to arguing with peeps about who messed up the toilet... and drawing up cleaning rotas.... Yes that's my idea of FUN!!! :biggrin: (y)

you, are mad.

however in honesty i am ratehr looking forward to making sure my kitchen is spick and span :h:
Original post by areyousure?
I am applying to Peninsula and Southampton (until I change my mind again :P) and I think they are good choices. Barts is really nice too, the only thing I don't like is the location as you said.

Southampton does not have a very clear admission either... apparently you need a very very good PS and a UKCAT from 580+ . So I think that makes it a bit (very) subjective, so I am not sure :P

Barts is now using a new criteria which I find very confusing but at least they tell you what they are doing!

Just think about how you may have to spend 5/6 years in one of those unis and only apply to those where you think you could do that.

what ukcat did you get love? cus im considering applying to liverpool (also def applyimng to lancaster) however the whole LOADS OF APPLICATIONS things kinda puts me off :/

plus alot of places tell you **** all about their selection process :mad:
Original post by laurenl93
what ukcat did you get love? cus im considering applying to liverpool (also def applyimng to lancaster) however the whole LOADS OF APPLICATIONS things kinda puts me off :/

plus alot of places tell you **** all about their selection process :mad:

UKCAT on the 30th :P (I should be working on it!).

I really like Liv and Lan! Lancaster does not get that many applications though, if that is what puts you off. Also, remember someone has to get in and it could be us!
UKCAT on the 30th :P (I should be working on it!).

I really like Liv and Lan! Lancaster does not get that many applications though, if that is what puts you off. Also, remember someone has to get in and it could be us!

Ah yes but it is also the smallest med school in the UK with only 50 places :eek:
However im still gna apply :P When i went to st andrews i fell in love with the community sense of living somewhere where i know everyone on the med course plus im very much the type whod love to be able to walk across campus and be late to lectures because i bumped into people i know and decided to have a little chat :smile:

Ill probably apply to liverpool, purely because it cant be arsed to look at all the med school and its not too far from home. plus it looks similar to newcastle and id accept the challenge of refusing to gain a scouser accent heheh

i got 625 on my ukcat and keep my fingers firmly crossed that thats the last time i have to do that bastard thing ever again.

ps. do you know when liverpool and lancaster call people to interview? :smile:
after spending most of today trying to practice for it, i have concluded that whoever invented the ukcat is a dick.
Original post by laurenl93
Ah yes but it is also the smallest med school in the UK with only 50 places :eek:
However im still gna apply :P When i went to st andrews i fell in love with the community sense of living somewhere where i know everyone on the med course plus im very much the type whod love to be able to walk across campus and be late to lectures because i bumped into people i know and decided to have a little chat :smile:

Ill probably apply to liverpool, purely because it cant be arsed to look at all the med school and its not too far from home. plus it looks similar to newcastle and id accept the challenge of refusing to gain a scouser accent heheh

i got 625 on my ukcat and keep my fingers firmly crossed that thats the last time i have to do that bastard thing ever again.

ps. do you know when liverpool and lancaster call people to interview? :smile:

OMG St Andrews was amazing!! and I really like how Lancaster is the same kind of atmosphere! I would be the same stopping every second to talk to someone and never actually getting to the lesson! xD

I think Lancaster and Liverpool will interview us around March or maybe a bit earlier. It's just GCSEs and PS for them which is nice, I think :P

Well if you are thinking about those two med school you don't need to worry about UKCAT :smile: happytimes!

Original post by atomos
after spending most of today trying to practice for it, i have concluded that whoever invented the ukcat is a dick.

tell me about it... I am trying very hard but I never get to practice for it!
Original post by atomos

Agreed!
Same here!! :P But its okay, we'll soon leave too !

Not very sure which ones I have put down on my blog as I change every 5 mins... for now its Liverpool, Lancaster, Peninsula and Southampton.

What about you?

Possibly Liverpool, Leeds, Peninsula and Kings (a mixture of unis that accept resits and foundation courses).

Though I'm in the process of finding out whether if I am eligible or not so it may change in the near future.

So worried about my personal statement not being 'up to scratch' and flopping the UKCAT. :cry:
Reply 3709
Original post by britt18
Hi, yay for re applicants! I have UKCAT: 627.5, ALevels: A*A*Aaac, GCSE: 6A*6A.
Fingers crossed for this year, applying to Newcastle, Leeds, Bristol, Kings for Medicine and probs either Leeds or Newcastle for BioChem.

Currently applying for jobs which is pretty much soul destroying! Hope for one soon although also applied for JSA so if you are still looking but not getting anywhere or just volunteering, defo apply and get some dollar! I think you can get £54 a week (?)

Also doing my PS again and cringing at last years! Thankfully my school are helping me, more in fact than they did last year!

Good luck with all your UCAS! Sharing the pain of the bezzies going to Uni and leaving us behind!!

I applied for jobseekers as well - put it off for as long as I oculd, but after my allowance stopped from my parents, and I still hadn't started my job, I had to ge some monies rolling in.

After two weeks of searching for jobs I didn't need, i had a letter saying I didn't actually qualify for it until 5th September, because my parents were still recieving child benefits for me... :frown: I gave up on the whole thing after that hahaha.

Yeahh, I might go and take a trip to visit Barts. As a medschool, I think it would suit me - the course and everything, but I guess I just need to visit the location to see if I'd feel at home there. Same with Southhampton - I visited there on the way to the Isle of Wight once, and it seemed like a decent place. And with Peninsula, its not worth visiting really - there's so many possibilities about where you could be :/ I think maybe thats what I'm struggling with - the uncertainty of where I'd actually BE.
Original post by twelve
I applied for jobseekers as well - put it off for as long as I oculd, but after my allowance stopped from my parents, and I still hadn't started my job, I had to ge some monies rolling in.

After two weeks of searching for jobs I didn't need, i had a letter saying I didn't actually qualify for it until 5th September, because my parents were still recieving child benefits for me... :frown: I gave up on the whole thing after that hahaha.

Yeahh, I might go and take a trip to visit Barts. As a medschool, I think it would suit me - the course and everything, but I guess I just need to visit the location to see if I'd feel at home there. Same with Southhampton - I visited there on the way to the Isle of Wight once, and it seemed like a decent place. And with Peninsula, its not worth visiting really - there's so many possibilities about where you could be :/ I think maybe thats what I'm struggling with - the uncertainty of where I'd actually BE.

i was the exact same!!! ended up with my mum raging at the child benefits people for not letting her cancel it cos its the law or something and also raging at the job seekers people being like 'well what if she didnt live with us still how would she be able to survive with no income?' it was so annoying.
Reply 3711
Original post by twelve

I visited Peninsula a couple of years ago because I thought it looked amazing but then I stayed over night in their halls and really didn't like the area at all, the actually medical school didn't seem too bad though.
anyone already done the ukcat? how did you do?
Original post by bertstare
anyone already done the ukcat? how did you do?

vr: 610
Qr: 710
AR: 740
DA: 650

you?
Original post by joemullally
vr: 610
Qr: 710
AR: 740
DA: 650

you?

705 overall. dental applicant though (dont shoot me)
Original post by bertstare
705 overall. dental applicant though (dont shoot me)

I'm not gonna shoot you, just shoot the ground around your feet and hope you get scared.

nice average man, I messed up my VR and DA on the day :/.

Da last year was 730
Reply 3716
Original post by twelve
I'm thinking of swapping Peninsula for Southhampton or Barts now :/

I'm not entirely sure why, the more I think about it, the more I feel like applying to Peninsula isn't right for me. I have to keep reminding myself why I'm applying there, which isn't exactly a good sign. I think maybe its because their admissions isn't quite as clear cut as the other places I'm applying.... but maybe its something completely different.

Everything I'm seeing about Barts is making me think I'd like it, but I just have a thing against living in London I think. I don't know why :/ And I haven't done much research into Southhampton, but the whole no interview thing sounds like it would be good for me.

Your application is a really strong one. What about newcastle/nottingham/Leeds?
Reply 3717
Original post by oldbatty
Your application is a really strong one. What about newcastle/nottingham/Leeds?

Your ukcat would have them salivating at Sheffield!
Original post by atomos

Lol:biggrin:
Reply 3719
Original post by hntv
Hi,

I am an international student. I got 4A* for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology and a UKCAT score of 627.5 overall. I plan to apply to King's, Queen Mary, UCL and Bristol. Do you guys think my choices are reasonable?

Firstly well done on the A level results, 4 A*s is excellent! Your Ukcat is a solid score, however I have heard Kings put a lot of emphasis on Ukcat so do some more research. QMUL I don't know anything about, someone has already mentioned you need to do the BMAT for UCL, and Bristol don't ask for any admissions test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending