The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenl93
I have friends in first and fourth year and one who's doing GP training who qualified there so can help you with stuff about the course etc for interview.

Really? Ah that's brilliant! I'd definitely be willing to show you round and stuff or atleast tell you where to go and look around (especially the proper student places), I live 10 minutes from the University and 5 minutes from Henderson halls and about 8 minutes from all the other halls so I know quite a lot :P

The med school's loooovely and it's right in the middle of loads of lovely trees and stuff in the city centre and has a lovely path you have to walk down to get to it from the city centre, it's right next to the business school.

Silly boyfriend not appreciating my lovely home town :h: Out of interest what did he not like?

OMGOMGOMG! Can I come?...

:colone:
Could anyone help me please :colone:

Do you know went interviews start? I'm booking flights for my volunteering thingy-majig and I want to stay as long as I can into November. Is 12th Nov risking it too much?

P.s. It's not like I'm expecting to get an interview lol
Original post by Limesasquatch
Could anyone help me please :colone:

Do you know went interviews start? I'm booking flights for my volunteering thingy-majig and I want to stay as long as I can into November. Is 12th Nov risking it too much?

P.s. It's not like I'm expecting to get an interview lol

Depending on how you've set up for your reference to be written, your referee should have the option of including dates you are available for interview, in which case they can write 'from December onwards' or whatever.

(in my reference bit although i've not sent it to my referee the section says:
Date(s) when applicant is unavailable for interview
Date(s) unavailable:
Heyyy,

I'm re-sitting chemistry this year and was thinking of applying to Southampton a they seem to accept applications from people who are retaking a single subject. I meet all the other requirements but their website states 'Applicants who have retaken one A level and/or one GCSE (or equivalent) will be considered' Does this mean that you have to already have the retaken grades or will they look at you based on the predicted grade for the subject being retaken? Thanks!
Reply 3864
can anybody help me....
I got 3 A's at Alevel and did poor in the ukcat so didn't really apply for medicine...
I have just started my first year in biomed at manchester and was wondering if i can still apply for 2012 entry even if i have started at manchester?
Original post by RKS93
can anybody help me....
I got 3 A's at Alevel and did poor in the ukcat so didn't really apply for medicine...
I have just started my first year in biomed at manchester and was wondering if i can still apply for 2012 entry even if i have started at manchester?

It is possible, but you'll have to:
1) register for the ukcat, which i'm afraid might be too late, but in any case find out and contact pearson vue and see if you can register
2) look into which universities accept applicants currently in their first year of a degree. there was a thread on this, because some universities outright reject applicants who are leaving a degree unfinished
Reply 3866
Original post by atomos
It is possible, but you'll have to:
1) register for the ukcat, which i'm afraid might be too late, but in any case find out and contact pearson vue and see if you can register
2) look into which universities accept applicants currently in their first year of a degree. there was a thread on this, because some universities outright reject applicants who are leaving a degree unfinished

oh thanks, do you know of any universities accept a transfer after one year if i get a first?
and if so would i have to do my ukcat by the 15th?
Reply 3867
Original post by bertstare
sending a separate statement?>

I'm not sure yet, I was going to sort out my medicine application and get it sent off and then ring the university and ask them what I should do about it and if they'd consider me.
Does anyone think the KAPLAN UKCAT course would be worth it? =S
Reply 3869
Yes it's compulsory, if you read all the medicine unis application criteria to withold any qualifications you have can cause your application to be completely rejected, it's just so that people cant hide that they failed loads of stuff :smile:

Oh I hate this. EPQ is not even a proper A-level and this is going to screw my application. Do you think Bristol and Keele really bother about the EPQ grade because I have the right A-level grades plus B in tthe fourth As level.

Just wanted to ask you if you have taken EPQ by yourself? I think i have been graded unfairly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3870
Original post by bertstare
chemical engineering

Which unis accept a seperate personal statement. I would appreciate if you let me know because I am planning to apply to chemical engineering as a back up.
HOW WAS YOUR UKCAT?!
God what a crappy nursery to not hire the lovely kirstie immediately! Yeah i know what you mean about fretting about hearing from them so that you can make sure it doesn't sound like you're lying on your UCAS form :P

It went better than I could have asked for :') I got 715 average :eek: Improved by a total of 330 :O ... And St.Andrews in my rejects letter claimed my ukcat was unlikely to improve :rolleyes:

And! klsjdgbalnjkgdboa!!!! I got 860 in AR :eek::eek::eek: !!!!The test that, in practices, I frequently got 13/65 (even 7/65 once :rolleyes:)

I now need to decide what to do about uni's having anticipated a much worse result :tongue:
Original post by atomos
667.5, so could have been worse!

Naww we're not ukcat twins anymore :frown: but atleast we've both improved :biggrin:
Original post by DDSB
Yes! Me! I had an interview there in November last year. I'm confused about whether to apply again as I would know what to expect however it could be an opportunity to apply to others. Also, everyone on here seems to be applying there so maybe i will have less chance?! Ahhh, I'm so confused. Are you re-applying there?
I'm hoping less but It's such a competitive course and I don't think people applying to medicine will have changed there minds because of the tution fees. It'll probably be about the same.
I still haven't done my ukcat (it's on wednesday :/) and really not getting to grips with the personal statement. I've barely done anything- can't bring myself round to doing it even though it's so important.

I think I will reapply there and reaaally hope they give me an interview again, everyone seems to be applying there, but i guess it might not be representative.

My ukcat is tuesday, i am well and truly screwed. good luck with yours and same, my statement is too long and it's been cut down and i sound like a robot because all the sentences and stupidly short :confused:
Reply 3874
Original post by Quackers93
It went better than I could have asked for :') I got 715 average :eek: Improved by a total of 330 :O ... And St.Andrews in my rejects letter claimed my ukcat was unlikely to improve :rolleyes:

And! klsjdgbalnjkgdboa!!!! I got 860 in AR :eek::eek::eek: !!!!The test that, in practices, I frequently got 13/65 (even 7/65 once :rolleyes:)

I now need to decide what to do about uni's having anticipated a much worse result :tongue:

715????????:eek: WOW that is incredible! i am taking my test on tuesday the 4th oct. Any tips on how to get such marvellous score? I am dreading this test and i have an E in EPQ so it just seems like an unrealistic dream for me to get into the medical school. :frown:

Any tips would be appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Shaz51
715????????:eek: WOW that is incredible! i am taking my test on tuesday the 4th oct. Any tips on how to get such marvellous score? I am dreading this test and i have an E in EPQ so it just seems like an unrealistic dream for me to get into the medical school. :frown:

Any tips would be appreciated. :smile:

Erm I think I ended up going through every question for AR in 600Q, how to master the ukcat, and passing the ukcat and bmat. and stressing out because I couldn't do it. The highest I ever got was 32/65 and that was with guessing most of them :P Tbh I think it was luck... or I am very good under stress... but i'm voting luck lol

Practice with an online calculator!!! I failed to do this and kept screwing up in my exam :/ (Might be useful to learn the difference between the CE and C buttons, i wasted loadssssss of time deleting loads of work after one little mistake :P)

Ermmmm best advice would probably be practice lol I think i mighta done about 15 hours total + 2 offical mocks? Last year I only did about 3 hours total... whoops :tongue:
Hey guys,
Don't know if this question has been asked before but I wanted to ask if you are a reapplicant are you allowed to use bits of your statement that you've submitted before..doesnt count as plagarism right cos I'm not copying anyone else but me? :h:
Original post by groovyangel2008
Hey guys,
Don't know if this question has been asked before but I wanted to ask if you are a reapplicant are you allowed to use bits of your statement that you've submitted before..doesnt count as plagarism right cos I'm not copying anyone else but me? :h:

You are allowed to use bits of your old one (I'm screwed if not :P) But my college careers advisor said that you need to put that you're a reapplicant so they know you've already submitted a ps before cause it is more than likely that something will be the same
Original post by Shaz51
Oh I hate this. EPQ is not even a proper A-level and this is going to screw my application. Do you think Bristol and Keele really bother about the EPQ grade because I have the right A-level grades plus B in tthe fourth As level.

Just wanted to ask you if you have taken EPQ by yourself? I think i have been graded unfairly.

I'm sorry i don't know wha t EPQ is :tongue:

Bitch :frown:

But hey, i improved by a whole 10 from last year :wink: to 630... :K:

So where you applying?! I assume not aberdeen or lancaster anymore :frown:
You are allowed to use bits of your old one (I'm screwed if not :P) But my college careers advisor said that you need to put that you're a reapplicant so they know you've already submitted a ps before cause it is more than likely that something will be the same

Eh but surely they would know you're a reapplicant when you're using the same ucas id no as last year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending