The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

I'd also suggest Sheffield, but last year their cut-off was 717.5 i heard, so i wouldn't risk applying there with 710

My friend is starting his first year at Sheffield with 672.5 UKCAT :P
Reply 4001
Original post by Harryh811
My friend is starting his first year at Sheffield with 672.5 UKCAT :P

:eek: How did that happen? Did he apply the year before with deferred entry or something? hmmm...

I've finally got the open day guide from UEA, they sure leave things last minute lol.

Liverpool is probably going to be my fourth option (after UEA, NCL, KCL) but unfortunately they have their open day on the same day as UEA, so i can't go. Hate it when they do that :rolleyes:
Reply 4002
Original post by -Taz-
:eek: How did that happen? Did he apply the year before with deferred entry or something? hmmm...

I've finally got the open day guide from UEA, they sure leave things last minute lol.

Liverpool is probably going to be my fourth option (after UEA, NCL, KCL) but unfortunately they have their open day on the same day as UEA, so i can't go. Hate it when they do that :rolleyes:

Cutoff for internationals was around 2660 for 2011 Entry.
Original post by DDSB
Thanks- although I was hoping for 700's. I did worst in VR too although I expected too!
At the moment I'm thinking;
Liverpool
Glasgow
Hull-York
and either peninsula or Newcastle (although last year newcastle's ukcat cut-off was 675 so I think this may be too risky?!)
How do East Anglia select for interview?

I applied for East Anglia last year, ukcat plays a minor role. They basically mark your personal statement and reference and the top 500 scores in these areas get an interview (bearing in mind they meet requirements)

Nope, applied in 2010 for 2011 entry! :smile:

Also, with Newcastle, have they upped their UKCAT cut off or something? Last year I got 672.5 along with my friend and we both got interviews..? (He got an offer)
Reply 4005
Hooray! The Hospice got back to me today, I will be able to do some long term volunteering...

... in january though. :colone:
Original post by Seb
Hooray! The Hospice got back to me today, I will be able to do some long term volunteering...

... in january though. :colone:

Just in time to stick it in your PS. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 4007
Christ! There's no way I'm going to be able to choose.
BSMS, Cardiff, Manc, Glasgow or Newc...

At least I've got Peninsula down - they were really nice to me on the phone :colone:
Original post by twelve
I'm thinking about going to the Leicester open day - I'll probably send my application off after this weekend, so it won't make a difference to my choice. I'm definitely applying to Leicester.

That makes two of us :dance: (apologies; the emotion makes me laugh haha)

Ahh - I'm genuinely excited for starting leicester next year. I've spoken to a couple of the 1st/2nd years there - and they really make you feel as though you'll be part of the family plus the pastoral staff there are meant to amazing - can't wait!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Taz-
Good luck :h:

That's a great score. if i were you i'd look at uni's that are more focused on how you did on your ukcat (as someone has already mentioned i think :smile: )

Liverpool don't look at ukcat at all i believe, so (from a strategic viewpoint) i'd give them a pass unless you're applying there for another reason or you really want to go there.

Newcastle?

I'd also suggest Sheffield, but last year their cut-off was 717.5 i heard, so i wouldn't risk applying there with 710

apparently Sheffield's cut-off will go down! don't know by how much though so you're right i shouldn't risk it.

thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by atomos
Right, think I'm defs applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, St Andrews and Edinburgh. These all accept reapplicants right? (double checking haha)

I'M APPLYING TO ABERDEEN TOO :hi:

Original post by Seb
Christ! There's no way I'm going to be able to choose.
BSMS, Cardiff, Manc, Glasgow or Newc...

At least I've got Peninsula down - they were really nice to me on the phone :colone:

Go for Newcastle :borat:

Original post by fallenangel
That makes two of us :dance: (apologies; the emotion makes me laugh haha)

Ahh - I'm genuinely excited for starting leicester next year. I've spoken to a couple of the 1st/2nd years there - and they really make you feel as though you'll be part of the family plus the pastoral staff there are meant to amazing - can't wait!

I loved leicester when i had an interview there, the interviewer unfortunately hated me the moment i stepped in the room. bad times.
guys,
i'm looking into Newcastle Uni now ... i can't find info about their selection procedure on their website? i.e. if they prefer candidates with higher GCSE's and what their take is on UKCAT.

please could you send me a link?
I got a UKCAT average score of 642.5. I am a re-applicant as well. I have A level grades of 3A*s (Chem, maths, Physics) and A in Bio. I don't have GCSEs bcos I did my sec school education in Nigeria ( I'm a home student though). I have grade A in gcse English and predicted A* in gcse maths. I also have lots of work experiences and have a gap year job. Could anyone give me any advice on medical schools to choose (Right now, my choices are: Bristol, Brighton and sussex, Keele, Cambridge/ Queen mary/ Leicester.). Thanks.

+rep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4013
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
guys,
i'm looking into Newcastle Uni now ... i can't find info about their selection procedure on their website? i.e. if they prefer candidates with higher GCSE's and what their take is on UKCAT.

please could you send me a link?

As far as I know (If I am wrong, cleverer people please do correct me) they want you to just meet the academic requirements, then they interview x number of people above the UKCAT cut off. Last years cut off was 675 (or was it 667.5? I hope it's only 667.5 as my UKCAT this year it 675 LOL! :bawling: ) so you need to have a UKCAT above last years cut off to be in with a chance.
Reply 4014
Does anyone think i have made any mistakes with my choices this year? Last year was the biggest disaster ever, getting rejected from everywhere without interview!! :frown: I don't want to make the same mistake twice. So again, have i made a mistake with anyone?
Reply 4015
Original post by laurenl93

Go for Newcastle :borat:

Can you just tell me that I'm not good enough!:nooo: Before I waste an app...

675... :frown:
Original post by laurenl93
I loved leicester when i had an interview there, the interviewer unfortunately hated me the moment i stepped in the room. bad times.

:banghead:

I know how you feel (but it was my george's interview) It's MMI - so there are several stations. One of mine showed me the 2/5 she gave me, another one was staring into the space and one of the female interviewers was falling asleep - proper confidence booster it was.

Needless to say I was rejected rather quickly, but it put me in a **** mood prior to my Leicester interview.

Interviews are unpredictable - never really know what'll happen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Seb
As far as I know (If I am wrong, cleverer people please do correct me) they want you to just meet the academic requirements, then they interview x number of people above the UKCAT cut off. Last years cut off was 675 (or was it 667.5? I hope it's only 667.5 as my UKCAT this year it 675 LOL! :bawling: ) so you need to have a UKCAT above last years cut off to be in with a chance.

ahhh thanks. Last year was 675 initially, but then it was lowered to 667.5 as far as I understand :smile:
hey guys,

i got 710 in my UKCAT.
so far, i'm def applying to Liverpool and Manchester ... the other 2 i'm not too sure about but i have a vague idea.

so any suggestions please? :smile:

Glasgow. you'll get an interview with that if you meet the academics. :wink:
ahhh thanks. Last year was 675 initially, but then it was lowered to 667.5 as far as I understand :smile:

yes, Dr. G you are right. I missed out with 660.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending