The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theblues1
Just like to say that when I went for my interview the list was endless of candidates. Jobs are hard to come by nowadays even if it is just working in a supermarket. You are not just up against college kids but middle aged x managers too who just need a job. Its tough out there to get any kind of work believe me!

Here here... I myself was a Retail Manager and lost my job, i went for the General Assistant job and got it, i was told that my online questions got me the interview and then the paper questions at the interview got me the job along with the interviewers comments!... so if a 18 year old person answered all the questions right then they would have got the job over me... what i'm trying to say is - ITS OPEN TO EVERYONE!

I was told by an employee before i went into the interview - asways think - GIVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE!....
(edited 12 years ago)
when is the next payday?
Original post by LondonCity
when is the next payday?

This friday.
Original post by nokia1792
Hi,

Help required from my Sainsburys colleague's....

I have got a General Assistant - night shift job (30 hours) in Sainsburys in Northern Ireland and i start on Friday 7th Oct.

1, I want to know is it possible to do overtime either on Day shift or Night shift?, if i can who do i see, would it be my night shift manager or a day shift manager?

2, Is there a limit to how many hours you can work in a week?

3, How do i go about getting a Time Leader position or a Dept managers position?, do i have to wait until i finish my 12 week thing or can i apply ASAP if theres one going?

4, 12 Week training, i've heard that this can finish early i.e. if my Manager thinks I'm doing well he/she can sign me off early - is this true?

5, I was told the we're paid every 4 weeks, is it 4 weeks from when i start or is say the last Friday in every month?...

Hope you can help.

Nokia.

I see you're from Co.Armagh. Are you in the city? :biggrin:

1: Generally you see the manager of the department you want the overtime in. Sometimes they'll ask you though, so you don't always have to find them.

2: You're not supposed to do over 39 hours a week.

3: I think you can apply when there's a vacancy, not sure though.

4: Don't know about this one.

5: We're getting paid this Friday, next one is 4 weeks after that. I think it used to work out as the last Friday of the month, but it doesn't anymore.
Reply 9644
how do i get my wage slip? any specific day or somat?
Reply 9645
Original post by Kayla94

Original post by Kayla94
Hello, I am under 18 but I got told my pay would be £6.21 an hour at my interview. Now I've started the job, they are now paying me £4.76, would this go up to the £6.21 at some point or would I have to wait til I'm 18? I think this is unfair since they did tell me that would be my rate of pay and now they have dropped it by £2.

Thankyou:smile:

i was told £4.89
also after your 12 weeks, if you pass it, it goes up between 10pence to 60pence.
Anyone work/ed the Sainsbury's night shift?

Does working thursday & friday 00.00 - 08.00 mean thursday and friday night, or wednesday and thursday morning?
Reply 9647
Original post by nokia1792
Hi,

The advert would of said "This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process".

I would say that they mentioned the £6.21 at your interview stage but i would think that they said it as a general thing at the interview, as the above statement on the job advert would always stand as it's written where your conversation was verbal. Best to ring HR and ask them, they can only say no!. Hope that helps. Nokia.

Thanks, I think I might ring them up just to check because I dont remember the advert saying that, but if not then I dont mind waiting a few months for the £6.21 anyway :smile:

And hasm, thanks, I hope mine does too! :smile:
When you all refer to HR?

what does HR stand for?
Human Resources, your personnel department
Original post by cherrycola32
Human Resources, your personnel department

thanks, not sure how that would work at my store? its a sainsburys local
hey i have my induction starting friday, i was just wondering what you do in the 16 hour induction? :s-smilie: not that i'm complaining since it's paid :wink:
Reply 9652
At a Sainsbury's local, you have an area HR manager. You should seek them out, and ask for a contact number. Alternatively, get a manager - store, deputy or team leader - to ask on your behalf.

To whomever asked about being signed off early and am now a fully fledged team leader, the answer is yes. I was signed off two days ago, and was told by my area HR manager that I was one of the best she's signed off in a long time. And that was after ten weeks with the company - no previous supermarket experience. I too work in a Sainsbury's local, like many people here and I love it so far!
Reply 9653
Original post by Hayley-Anne
hey i have my induction starting friday, i was just wondering what you do in the 16 hour induction? :s-smilie: not that i'm complaining since it's paid :wink:

16 hours? I'm guessing the first day is the usual induction - you'll go through a bit of Think 25 training, a bit of Safe Working Practices, a lot on Sainsbury's and good customer service as well as touching upon fire training and etc.

And then I assume that you'll spend the following day on the shop floor.
Original post by bubelah
At a Sainsbury's local, you have an area HR manager. You should seek them out, and ask for a contact number. Alternatively, get a manager - store, deputy or team leader - to ask on your behalf.

THANKS
Original post by Kayla94
Hello, I am under 18 but I got told my pay would be £6.21 an hour at my interview. Now I've started the job, they are now paying me £4.76, would this go up to the £6.21 at some point or would I have to wait til I'm 18? I think this is unfair since they did tell me that would be my rate of pay and now they have dropped it by £2.

Thankyou:smile:

I'm sure it's in here somewhere, they've recently dropped the under-18 pay rate at Sainsbury's, and now it's something like after your probation, or after the first 6 months you'll get the full £6.21.
Reply 9656

Original post by hasm
how do i get my wage slip? any specific day or somat?

Anyone??
Reply 9657
Original post by hasm
Anyone??

earliest you can get them is on wednesdays i believe, your dept. manager/team leader will have them if you ask them, that is if HR have handed them out to them.
Original post by theblues1
Pleased to say passed interview stage of selection process. However, not able to progress your application any further as we do have candidates whose skills are closer. We hope to find you a suitable opportunity in the futre and we will be in touch.

Has anyone else had this, and have they been contacted in the future. Is this good. I know I havent got the job, but think this is quite positive for the future!! What do you think??? Thanks

Anyone???? HR said they aim to find me a position within 2 weeks?? Anyone heard of this. Thanks

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting through fter that to be honest...
Original post by Catamaran
Anyone work/ed the Sainsbury's night shift?

Does working thursday & friday 00.00 - 08.00 mean thursday and friday night, or wednesday and thursday morning?

Hi, I would think it's Thur/Fri nights.... N/S normally starts 10pm - 8am or 8pm-8am... best to phone the Recruitment line if you have not started or your personnel dept if you have...

I'm on N/S which starts 10pm-8am

Nokia.

Latest

Trending

Trending