Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamHey789
-PBL
-Small Class Size
-Medical Ethics Intercalated Degree
-A Place that genuinely grabbed me and was friendly
-Did i mention PBL?

Awww, wish I'd gone on the open day now. Small classes is definitely good, esp for PBL.

Actually, they were like that in my dream (as in, friendly) :giggle: They didn't mind that I'd missed my interview date from not checking emails, and they took us interviewees on a tourbus ride around Newcastle/Stoke, and we all went and babysat afterwards (?) which was also fun.

A medical ethics intercalated degree would literally be my ideal intercalation. :love:
Original post by Parle à ma main
Awww, wish I'd gone on the open day now. Small classes is definitely good, esp for PBL.

Actually, they were like that in my dream (as in, friendly) :giggle: They didn't mind that I'd missed my interview date from not checking emails, and they took us interviewees on a tourbus ride around Newcastle/Stoke, and we all went and babysat afterwards (?) which was also fun.

A medical ethics intercalated degree would literally be my ideal intercalation. :love:

Yeah i was looking through the medical ethics degree and it looked great, and the end dissertations people did were so diverse!
They have put a new video up :smile: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTD35FMQYwc

This is a great video.

Keele looks amazing! I think it's shot up from my last choice to my first choice.
Yeah i was looking through the medical ethics degree and it looked great, and the end dissertations people did were so diverse!

Ooh, do you have a link? :smile:

I did medical ethics for Philosophy & Ethics AS last year and it was really, really good. I think the ethics of medicine attracts me almost more than the science, so Keele sounds perfect. :love:
"The staff know you and you know them, you call them by their first name".

"The staff are really friendly, they know your name and say "hi" to you in corridors so you're never afraid to ask them for help"

awwww! it sounds really sweet!

The clinical placements sound really good too, I think learning "on the job", almost, is the best way to make things stick..
(edited 12 years ago)
Ooh, do you have a link? :smile:

I did medical ethics for Philosophy & Ethics AS last year and it was really, really good. I think the ethics of medicine attracts me almost more than the science, so Keele sounds perfect. :love:

http://www.keele.ac.uk/pgtcourses/coursedetails/medicalethicsandlaw/

And Keele is my top choice. :smile:

Cheers. The course looks really interesting.

You seem to know a lot about Keele and have a really friendly personality so I really do think you stand a good chance. :smile:
Yeah, hopefully the AAA thing will put people off. Hasn't Keele always been really hard to get into, though? Cos they are PS focused and allow resits?

Where else you applying? :smile:

Imperial
BSMS
Liverpool

I've only heard from L'pool

How about you?
Cheers. The course looks really interesting.

You seem to know a lot about Keele and have a really friendly personality so I really do think you stand a good chance. :smile:

Thank you, hope it proves to be true!
Good luck!
Original post by This Honest
Imperial
BSMS
Liverpool

I've only heard from L'pool

How about you?

Snap with Liverpool. :smile: Also love the look of Liverpool. East Anglia and Aberdeen are my others which also look great. Heard from UEA and Liverpool. The L'pool acknowledgement email is so sweet, bless them.

Which one's your first choice?
Snap with Liverpool. :smile: Also love the look of Liverpool. East Anglia and Aberdeen are my others which also look great. Heard from UEA and Liverpool. The L'pool acknowledgement email is so sweet, bless them.

Which one's your first choice?

Imperial :colondollar:
But I would happy to go anywhere in England, haha I'm assuming Keele is your top choice... you really do love it :wink:
Original post by This Honest
Imperial :colondollar:
But I would happy to go anywhere in England, haha I'm assuming Keele is your top choice... you really do love it :wink:

Sounds like a McDonalds advert. :p:

Good choice, my friend goes to Imp and she loves it. She's always going to really interesting lectures/debates, and it seems like there's a really friendly community in it, plus Landaaan :biggrin:

Haha, I don't know, my first choice varies literally from minute to minute. I think Keele, Liverpool and UEA are joint first choices atm. :p:
Sounds like a McDonalds advert. :p:

Good choice, my friend goes to Imp and she loves it. She's always going to really interesting lectures/debates, and it seems like there's a really friendly community in it, plus Landaaan :biggrin:

Haha, I don't know, my first choice varies literally from minute to minute. I think Keele, Liverpool and UEA are joint first choices atm. :p:

Ah alright then, good luck with your application
I'm off to do some BMAT revision
The physics section is a pain in the arse :/
Can you guys give me reasons why Keele is amazing? I felt good about putting Keele down at the time, and then I had a happy dream about Keele and that influenced me more than it really should have :innocent: But I've heard many, many horor stories about it since. :p:

The word-for-word reaction of one of my friends when I told her my choices:

"OMG KEELE! WHY KEELE? WHY? NOT KEELE!"

:rofl:

Guess your questions already been answered :smile:
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Guess your questions already been answered :smile:

Yep. :smile: Gonna go into school and spread the Keele love tomorrow to everyone who dissed it. :ahee:
The course sounds really good. :smile: The main reason I picked Keele was because it's PBL, tbh, but the course does sound nicely blended. I didn't even realise Keele did dissection, that's really good.

Yeh we have 2hrs of dissection per week on a Thursday afternoon. AFAIK not many other schools do dissection so we are quite lucky :smile:

I'm not going by league tables in any way at all. The student satisfaction bit would be the only potentially relevant bit and I remember seeing that rural-y areas seem to have high student satisfaction?

Student satisfaction is the best to go by; i have no idea what Keele's SS rate is though?

The thing about applying to med school is that you apply where you think you stand a chance, where you "want" to go is kinda secondary to that. :p: I don't mind the idea of a rural life style as long as there's enough to do... and from what you've said there is, so yayyy. :smile:

In hindsight my post seemed la little like i was having a go at you, i wasn't in anyway. What you say is so true about choosing where you think you have a chance first and foremost (well it was for me).

Can I just ask- what's the nightlife like? And are there many political/charity campaigns or events or whatever going on? :smile:

The nightlife seems quite good. I went out most nights during freshers and since then have been out at least once per week. Again it is never going to be anything like B'ham, Liverpool etc but it is decent enough. Everyone is really friendly when out and you soon meet loads of people. I have not been out in Hanley yet, but Carnage was on in Hanley last week and alot of people off the course went and they had a blast - i intend on going to the next one though definately :biggrin:

Any other questions fire away and i will try to help. Good luck with the application.
Original post by rumandraisin
Yeh we have 2hrs of dissection per week on a Thursday afternoon. AFAIK not many other schools do dissection so we are quite lucky :smile:

It sounds good. :smile: Do you do surface anatomy?

Student satisfaction is the best to go by; i have no idea what Keele's SS rate is though?

Having looked at it, it's not *that* high but it's not worryingly low. The only "worrying" stat was that Keele scored 29/100 for "satisfied with feedback". But all unis scored quite low there and I'm not even sure what "satisfied with feedback" even means so it's all good. :p:

In hindsight my post seemed la little like i was having a go at you, i wasn't in anyway. What you say is so true about choosing where you think you have a chance first and foremost (well it was for me).

It honestly didn't seem like you were having a go, and I've got some really valuable info from what you've said so yeah. :smile:

The nightlife seems quite good. I went out most nights during freshers and since then have been out at least once per week. Again it is never going to be anything like B'ham, Liverpool etc but it is decent enough. Everyone is really friendly when out and you soon meet loads of people. I have not been out in Hanley yet, but Carnage was on in Hanley last week and alot of people off the course went and they had a blast - i intend on going to the next one though definately :biggrin:

Any other questions fire away and i will try to help. Good luck with the application.

That's something that I'm liking a lot from the sounds of Keele- the fact everyone seems to be really friendly. I'm more of a house party/watch late night movie while snuggeld up girl anyway, but it's good to have to option of a night out when I wnt it.

And thank you. :smile: Good luck with... 2nd year?
It sounds good. :smile: Do you do surface anatomy?
By surface anatomy do you mean drawing on each other etc? I've heard that we do yes but Kinkerz will know for sure. We have time in the resource room after dissection where we do stuff like palpation, auscultation etc with a clinician and they really do make you feel like you're a medic (wannabe Dr) :cool:

And thank you. :smile: Good luck with... 2nd year?

Cheers, but i am only a 1st year :tongue:
Yep. :smile: Gonna go into school and spread the Keele love tomorrow to everyone who dissed it. :ahee:

Good girl :smile:
Reply 139
-PBL
-Small Class Size
-Medical Ethics Intercalated Degree
-A Place that genuinely grabbed me and was friendly
-Did i mention PBL?

If you're interested in ethics, at Keele if you get excellent grades and show an interest in ethics, there's a 'Bioethics' scholarship-type-thing in the third year where two students are taken to spend eight weeks at Yale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending