The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just want some sleep :sigh: to go out tonight or not :tongue:
Original post by Tech
What's the scoop? Radiology is something I might be interested in, though I'm more tempted with the interventional side of things.

In other news, the new Forza is awesome! Bacharach is terrifying :redface:

Just can't stand the idea of sitting and staring at a computer screen all day looking at teeny tiny discrepancies on scans. No problem looking at films etc in a ward kinda setting though.

Think it wasn't helped by a particularly uninspiring and big-headed radiologist mind.
Original post by a moist feeling
I just want some sleep :sigh: to go out tonight or not :tongue:

I just want my halo back :hmpf:
Has anyone got any views on the Netters physiology flash cards? I'm tempted to get them along with the anatomy flash cards.
Original post by rumandraisin
Has anyone got any views on the Netters physiology flash cards? I'm tempted to get them along with the anatomy flash cards.

Oh - there are physiology cards - I have the anatomy ones which I liked
Original post by Philosoraptor
Oh - there are physiology cards - I have the anatomy ones which I liked

Yeh, the amazon reviews seem mixed. Might ask around the med school tomorrow and see if anyone has used them and their opinions - or i might just buy them and judge myself :rolleyes:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I just want my halo back :hmpf:

I don't have it :h:
Reply 6207
Original post by Mushi_master
Just can't stand the idea of sitting and staring at a computer screen all day looking at teeny tiny discrepancies on scans. No problem looking at films etc in a ward kinda setting though.

Think it wasn't helped by a particularly uninspiring and big-headed radiologist mind.

Wasn't a Dr. Alan Statham per chance? :tongue:

Yeah I guess it would get pretty lonely... at the minute I'm thinking clinical oncology and diagnostic radiology both look interesting, obvs a totally different attitude towards patients though.
Any ideas how I can work for Medlink this December? I remember there being med students there when I went so that'd be an extra bit of money :')
Reply 6209
Original post by Sarky
Ladies and Gentlemen, my former medical school

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15383719

That email was the highlight of my day on Tuesday!
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I am indeed, born and bred. I miss it a lot and I don't really have any reason to go back there anymore. Where abouts are you from?

Bridgnorth, but went to school in Wellington. Parents still live there so I pop back occasionally. Bizarrely, they waited until after my sister and I had left home to build a massive extension to our house - I think it's a grandchild trap.

I went out in Bridgnorth a few months ago. My overall impression was that some people really need to LEAVE. Not forever - I'd love to go back one day myself, but ffs people have to get out and realise that there is a bigger world than the High Street and the Crown on Saturday night.
Original post by Helenia
Bridgnorth, but went to school in Wellington. Parents still live there so I pop back occasionally. Bizarrely, they waited until after my sister and I had left home to build a massive extension to our house - I think it's a grandchild trap.

I went out in Bridgnorth a few months ago. My overall impression was that some people really need to LEAVE. Not forever - I'd love to go back one day myself, but ffs people have to get out and realise that there is a bigger world than the High Street and the Crown on Saturday night.

Small world. I went to Oldbury secondary/sixthform in Bridgnorth. I totally know what you mean though. The place is so claustraphobic and you essentially see the same faces day in day out. Haven't been back there in a few years.
Couple of things not really worthy of posting but shall do so anyway!

Just sent off first reflection for medicine in society... such a waste of time, having to make up emotions about things I don't care about..

Also had CPR training this morning and couldn't help but laugh when the demonstrator said "Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" :teehee:
Luckily it was actually that way on purpose but made me chuckle even more when other people started to look very confused..

Turning up still slightly drunk seems the only way forward with those things... LONG LIVE TABLES!!
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Just sent off first reflection for medicine in society... such a waste of time, having to make up emotions about things I don't care about..

Yep. It doesn't help I write like a 10 year old so I always get rubbish marks. This year I write it then I get my flat mate to make it sound awesome for me.

It is just the biggest pile of bull**** though and I've told every tutor it is, most of them agree. People reflect on events naturally and differently. Forcing everyone to reflect the same way and on paper is the asinine and moronic.
Original post by Tech
Wasn't a Dr. Alan Statham per chance? :tongue:

Yeah I guess it would get pretty lonely... at the minute I'm thinking clinical oncology and diagnostic radiology both look interesting, obvs a totally different attitude towards patients though.

If only it was!

Not the career for me, medical specialties or anaesthetics methinks.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Small world. I went to Oldbury secondary/sixthform in Bridgnorth. I totally know what you mean though. The place is so claustraphobic and you essentially see the same faces day in day out. Haven't been back there in a few years.

I have quite a few friends who went to Oldbury, but I'd guess they're several years ahead of you so you wouldn't know them. I went to Castlefields, the primary school across the fields from OW, but then went private for secondary. :o:
Original post by Mushi_master
If only it was!

Not the career for me, medical specialties or anaesthetics methinks.

They do sound good! I'm toying with the idea of GP now as I do like the sound of golf every weekend :smile:
(although that may be subject to change)
Is there anyone who's done an intercalated year who can offer advice on whether what I'd like to do is realistic? Basically there's an OU module I want to study, and to me it would make sense to do it next semester, when I only have one taught module and my project to do, else I cannot foresee having time in the next few years due to finals and then final year and then working... I just don't have the money to 'waste' on starting an OU course and not being able to finish it due to having too much work. It's 60 credits at level 3, on top of the 75 credits I'm already taking that semester for my iBSc. Is that do-able or am I trying to do too much?
Who was it that said before about audits (I think Jamie?) that it's not worth being a data collection donkey for an audit - it's only worthwhile if you actually were important in it - is that true?
Reply 6219
Original post by Philosoraptor
Who was it that said before about audits (I think Jamie?) that it's not worth being a data collection donkey for an audit - it's only worthwhile if you actually were important in it - is that true?
Yes and no.

You get points for audit. Maximum points for designings, completing, improving, repeating and closing the loop on your own. Less points for every bit of that you miss out.

However, if you can show involvement in a range of audit projects, as well has having one or two of your own - you're on a winner.

Latest

Trending

Trending