The Student Room Group

Why are some people so anti-makeup?

Scroll to see replies

Because some people have the admirable trait of not caring if they have spots or whatnot, and just brave the world with no make up. And then some of that group of people have the less-than-admirable trait of thinking this makes them better than anyone who's a bit insecure and wants to put on some make-up. I gave up trying to cure my spots and go natural after several years of trying everything I could lay my hands on and decided to wear concealer to cover them up. Currently out of concealer though, so foundation it is. I'd say I look more or less equally bad with or without it, but it evens out my skin a leetle more than before. :lol: I try not to cake it on. I hope I don't. If people want to wear make-up, fine. We really shouldn't judge people for it. If they don't want to wear it, bravo. They're braver than me.
Reply 41
I don't wear it every day, I wish I had the energy to be made up every day.

I kinda agree with the OP in a way- when people don't put effort in and whine incessantly about being unattractive and never finding a man, it always stuns me. There is so much that you can do and it's often is easier than people make out.

Obviously subtlety is the key! But people who preach about not wearing make up are just as bad as those who preach about wearing make up.
Original post by py0alb
Because it makes pretty girls look like ugly slappers, obviously. What a silly question.

Cue 30 girls saying "oh you're obviously talking about different girls, because boys can't tell when I'm wearing makeup, and you wouldn't find us more attractive without it on" well I'm afraid to say yes I'm talking about you, yes we can tell, and yes we would.

*I'm talking about foundation here mainly. Foundation is the work of satan to punish men by convincing women to make themselves less attractive to us for no apparent reason. No-one really minds a little subtle bit of lippy and eye shadow.

You're talking about badly applied foundation. There's nothing wrong with it when it's applied properly.
Original post by screenager2004
I don't think anyone hates make-up. It is a massive shame how women are pressured into wearing it though.

If a man walks out of the house without make-up he's handsome. If a woman walks out of her house without make-up, she looks "rough".
I usually wear makeup. But several times in my life I've felt confident to not wear it, and gone out without any make-up on, and my friends say "you look really tired today" or "you look ill" or men have shouted "ROUGH" from their car windows as they drive past. At my university, they actively encourage women to wear makeup for job interviews, as if your face has a bearing on how well you can do your job.

It's very very sad, the whole thing is very shallow and I think the world would be a better place without it. But we're used to it now, and anything less looks ugly.

Goodness, I can't believe there are people who are savage enough to scream at you from their car for not wearing makeup :eek:. It's a rather unfortunate fact of shallow society, but a little while ago I managed to conduct my own social experiment about the different treatment that people do in fact receive based on perceived attractiveness. One day I was coming back from the gym and had no makeup on, in gym clothes but I was more or less pulled together, nothing too shabby. This beater of a car that I drove back at the time used to break down frequently, and it decided to breakdown on this day. I walked around the lot trying to find one person who would help be get a boost (I even already had the cables), but no one would. I got responses like, "sorry, too busy" or was ignored and just walked by. I felt like a complete fool :frown:. Took almost twenty minutes to find someone in a busy parking lot who would help a hapless stranded girl. Another time not too long after, my dear old beater broke down again, but this time I was coming from work, dressed in heels with my hair down and full face of makeup on etc... It didn't take me all of five minutes to find a guy who was willing to help me get a boost. He even walked all the way to his car from across the lot, drove it back to where I was and offered to help. He was the second person I asked.

I know some will jump in and say that there are infinitely many intervening factors which would account for this difference in treatment, but there have actually been experiments done on this, and similar results have been confirmed. So OP I think much of the animousity towards makeup comes from the pressure that women feel in society to have to wear it. I'll admit I'm an avid user and rarely go out without a little touch on, but I do so grudgingly some days. It's downright time-consuming when you add it up, and I often lament the fact that I could have invented something great, or written the next great classic in the cumulative time that I've spent applying makeup on in the morning since the age of 16...lol. Okay I kid...but seriously. It's exhausting :tongue:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LipstickKisses
But men and women are different, so it's never going to be exactly the same. It's like women can wear trousers but men can't wear skirts (Well okay Scottish men can) but you know what I mean. :tongue: If a woman does that I don't think she looks ugly, just that her appearance may improve with makeup. Men probably would look better if they wore it too, but it's seen as something 'girly' so not many men choose to.

:eek3: No, we're ok the way we are :tongue:
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
:eek3: No, we're ok the way we are :tongue:

Male models and actors wear it and they're generally considered attractive. In the past, men used makeup too, it's only relatively recently it's become girly or 'gay'. There's no reason why makeup wouldn't enhance a mans appearance.
Reply 46
You're talking about badly applied foundation. There's nothing wrong with it when it's applied properly.

Did you not read what I wrote? You just said exactly what I predicted someone would reply. I'm talking about ALL foundation. Unless you're somewhere really dark, there is no such thing as a foundation that people can't see on your face.

Cue you saying "oh you must only know girls who don't know how to put on foundation properly/buy cheap foundation/use too dark a shade".
It can look tacky and cheap if it is just layered on.
Male models and actors wear it and they're generally considered attractive. In the past, men used makeup too, it's only relatively recently it's become girly or 'gay'. There's no reason why makeup wouldn't enhance a mans appearance.

Well I guess if you're going to be on TV, then it's practically a necessity - but I'm certain they don't wear it day-to-day. Unless I'm mistaken. :tongue:
Original post by py0alb
Did you not read what I wrote? You just said exactly what I predicted someone would reply. I'm talking about ALL foundation. Unless you're somewhere really dark, there is no such thing as a foundation that people can't see on your face.

Cue you saying "oh you must only know girls who don't know how to put on foundation properly/buy cheap foundation/use too dark a shade".

Yes there is such thing, like you said, most people do use foundation too dark and do apply it badly.

Spoiler

Can gaurantee she's wearing it, you can't see it other than the fact that her skin looks very smooth. Once foundation is on, if it is actually done properly (I'm very well researched and experienced in makeup and beauty) it looks good.
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Well I guess if you're going to be on TV, then it's practically a necessity - but I'm certain they don't wear it day-to-day. Unless I'm mistaken. :tongue:

They don't, but if they did it would improve their looks. :tongue:
If you don't wear it, fair enough, if you cake it on, fair enough (but I will be secretly judging you, I'm not gonna lie), if you wear a bit, fair enough.
Makes sense, but you get comments like "foundation ALWAYS looks horrible" and "Natural is soooo much better"...unless they think well applied makeup = no makeup, which is a possibility. :tongue:

It is exactly the case.

We men don't wear make up. We have no interest in it either so we do not know whether a girl is wearing a face full of make up unless we have either seen her in a situation where we know she is not wearing any or it is so obvious that she essentially looks like an alien.

We don't like girls who are so obviously made up. But we know that they generally have self esteem issues so when we want a bit of fun for a night we do target them over girls who don't appear to be wearing much, if any (but they probably are, it's just done right), so this is why girls will say that they get a lot more male attention when they have painted themselves a new face.

But we will almost unanimously agree that a girl who is wearing make up but doesn't look like it is more attractive than a girl who is not wearing any make up.
Reply 53

Spoiler

Yes it does.

That's funny, I seem to remember you on another thread saying that make-up doesn't make a big difference. Ironic.
Reply 54
Yes there is such thing, like you said, most people do use foundation too dark and do apply it badly.

Spoiler

Can gaurantee she's wearing it, you can't see it other than the fact that her skin looks very smooth. Once foundation is on, if it is actually done properly (I'm very well researched and experienced in makeup and beauty) it looks good.

...in your opinion. But not in the opinion of the majority of men and a significant proportion of women. Hence the reason so many people are "anti-makeup", because it just looks crap.
They don't, but if they did it would improve their looks. :tongue:

Good thing I'm naturally perfect then :awesome:
Original post by Converse
That's funny, I seem to remember you on another thread saying that make-up doesn't make a big difference. Ironic.

It doesn't change the shape of your face or turn someone ugly attractive, that's what I said. Which is true.

Original post by py0alb
...in your opinion. But not in the opinion of the majority of men and a significant proportion of women. Hence the reason so many people are "anti-makeup", because it just looks crap.

Actually, the majority of men seem to agree with me, that well applied makeup is attractive. Makeup doesn't look crap, and I find the men who say that are the ones that are worried their girlfriend will attract attention. "Oh don't worry you're beautiful without it!" "Lets stay home tonight!" "You don't need expensive clothes to look gorgeous" We see through that. :rolleyes:
I'm anti-make up because I'm finding it hard to become physically attracted to any girl without make up (I have yet to see 1 girl I find hot without make up on). I wouldn't mind make up if it was permanent but the fact that it's temporary irritates me 'cause it's like I find you attractive some parts of the day and ugly other parts. The only beauty I appreciate is male beauty 'cause when I see a guy looks nice I know his going to look nice when he comes out of a shower. Sucks I'm not gay. It's ruining people's concepts of beauty akin to what photoshop does. We should stop encouraging it and let people look the way they naturally look.
Sorry my mistake, I thought you said men and women weren't different. People have always done it though, it isn't a new thing like a lot of people seem to think.

It is a new thing. In the 1700s men and women both wore makeup. The idea that it's just women who do it is recent.

Men and women are different as far as one has a penis and the other has a womb. But wearing makeup is totally socially fabricated and has NOTHING to do with our biology.

You don't have to though, you can stop wearing it surely? :s-smilie:

If I stop wearing it then I get the "!ROUGH!" "you look really tired" comments from everyone.

The point is, because everyone wears it, it has become the norm, and so NOT wearing it suddenly 'isn't good enough'.

That is a massive travesty. I resent that. Applying make-up drains hours of my life away. Men don't have to wear it, but women do. It's a sexist double standard.

Ive only come across this once or twice in person but on here, loads of people seem to hate makeup with a deep burning passion, guys and girls. Im genuinely curious about this, why would you hate it? Everyone looks better with well applied makeup. Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

Im talking about well applied makeup, not badly caked on stuff.

*Sigh*

This is why; somehow not-wearing it is now classed as a result of being lazy and not making an effort due to people with opinions like your own.

I don't feel I have any moral high-ground over those who wear makeup, and I don't resent those who wear it. In the same vein, I don't hold any more or less respect for people who don't wear makeup. What someone does or doesn't do to their appearance doesn't shape my perception of them. I like people for who they are, not what they choose to look like.

No, I don't wear makeup. That doesn't mean I 'cba' when I wake up in the mornings -.-
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest