The Student Room Group

Why are some people so anti-makeup?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by screenager2004
It is a new thing. In the 1700s men and women both wore makeup. The idea that it's just women who do it is recent.

Men and women are different as far as one has a penis and the other has a womb. But wearing makeup is totally socially fabricated and has NOTHING to do with our biology.

Yes I know, I was saying the invention of makeup has been around for ages, and yes men wore it too. Yeah makeup is social, but it has always been that way. Even the egyptians used to wear makeup.

If I stop wearing it then I get the "!ROUGH!" "you look really tired" comments from everyone.

The point is, because everyone wears it, it has become the norm, and so NOT wearing it suddenly 'isn't good enough'.

The fact men would shout at you from cars is shocking tbh, but even so if you don't want to wear it why care what they think? Do what you want.

That is a massive travesty. I resent that. Applying make-up drains hours of my life away. Men don't have to wear it, but women do. It's a sexist double standard.

I don't really think it's that sexist but that depends on your stance on feminism and sexism.
Original post by Lily Academia
*Sigh*

This is why; somehow not-wearing it is now classed as due to being lazy and not making an effort due to people this opinions like your own.

I don't feel I have any moral high-ground over those who wear makeup, and I don't resent those who wear it. In the same vein, I don't hold any more or less respect for people who don't wear makeup. What someone does or doesn't do to their appearance doesn't shape my perception of them. I like people for who they are, not what they choose to look like.

No, I don't wear makeup. That doesn't mean I 'cba' when I wake up in the mornings -.-

Should have clarified this, a lot of people who don't wear makeup also don't make an effort with how they dress and look in general. Obviously that's not everyone who doesn't wear makeup. if you don't wear it but don't try to force that on everyone else, that's fine.
Reply 62
Original post by LipstickKisses
It doesn't change the shape of your face or turn someone ugly attractive, that's what I said. Which is true.

Actually, the majority of men seem to agree with me, that well applied makeup is attractive. Makeup doesn't look crap, and I find the men who say that are the ones that are worried their girlfriend will attract attention. "Oh don't worry you're beautiful without it!" "Lets stay home tonight!" "You don't need expensive clothes to look gorgeous" We see through that. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the naive guys on these forums tend to talk a load of **** sometimes. Most of them wouldn't know how to pull a girl if she sat on his lap. They're probably the same losers who think its harder for guys to pull than girls, lol. I hear that fallacy all the time on here, and that tells you all you need to know.

British girls wear more makeup than almost everywhere else in the world. When I lived in the US, very few girls wore makeup, and the difference was remarkable. Every British guy who goes to the states is shocked by how much prettier the girls there look. Its just because they don't tend to wear foundation.

Should have clarified this, a lot of people who don't wear makeup also don't make an effort with how they dress and look in general. Obviously that's not everyone who doesn't wear makeup. if you don't wear it but don't try to force that on everyone else, that's fine.

No, and I've never met anyone who has acted as such either... :erm:

Thanks for the clarification; I can see your point, but generalising doesn't help matters.
Reply 64
It doesn't change the shape of your face or turn someone ugly attractive, that's what I said. Which is true.

True. And what you posted contradicts what you said.
Original post by py0alb
Yeah, the naive guys on these forums tend to talk a load of **** sometimes. Most of them wouldn't know how to pull a girl if she sat on his lap. They're probably the same losers who think its harder for guys to pull than girls, lol. I hear that fallacy all the time on here, and that tells you all you need to know.

British girls wear more makeup than almost everywhere else in the world. When I lived in the US, very few girls wore makeup, and the difference was remarkable. Every British guy who goes to the states is shocked by how much prettier the girls there look. Its just because they don't tend to wear foundation.

British girls tend to wear makeup badly. Foundation isn't the cause at all. I honestly doubt you could tell everyone that's wearing foundation.
Original post by Converse
True. And what you posted contradicts what you said.

No it doesn't, they still have the same bone structure and features. :rolleyes:
Most people aren't anti-makeup they are anti-oompa-loompa.
Reply 68
Im not anti-makeup however i am anti-colourblocking, for example today outside of a big asda i spotted a girl in her teens, who should of been 'white' with tanned foundation, a very nude/pink lipstick, black eyeliner and dark red blusher.
Its the ridiculous contrast that people associate with 'slap' and therefore that extends to any make-up.
Colourblock your clothes not your face.

Also i do wear makeup, a foundation similar to my skin tone, black eyeliner (thickness depending on whether im wearing lippy) and slightly stained red lips.
Ive only come across this once or twice in person but on here, loads of people seem to hate makeup with a deep burning passion, guys and girls. Im genuinely curious about this, why would you hate it? Everyone looks better with well applied makeup. Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

Im talking about well applied makeup, not badly caked on stuff.

lol, you are judging people who don't wear it, so you are no better than those who look down on you for wearing it.

I have seen with some girls not all, that when they come in on the odd day with no make up they look so different. I don't wear makeup because I am waiting until I really need it, when I get older. I don't see the point in wearing it while I am young, unless it is a special ocassion. I don't really care if girls wear it all the time.
Reply 70
Also about foundation, people often get the shade wrong but the medium is also important as a liquid will give a different finish to a mousse and a powder. you just need to find what works with your skin.
Original post by TheDubs
1) Its useless first off if you go clubbing. Its dark in a club and alcohol is nature's equivalent for making all women look pretty.

2) Its essentially marketing/propaganda/illegal selling. A woman with makeup on is not the woman you will be with if you decide to go out with her. Make up must add atleast +3/10 to looks, a disgraceful disproportionalising of the truth.

That is such a disgusting way of looking at women. We are not products, you are not buying us and we are not marketing ourselves. This isn't just aimed at you - several people on this thread have made the same analogy - but I find this attitude really horrible. It's arrogant as you assume women are only getting dressed up to impress you (or to sell themselves if you prefer) and it only refers to a woman's appearance rather than the many other things about her. Make-up isn't the only way people 'falsely advertise' before getting into a relationship - how many people do you think change themselves in order to impress someone they are attracted to? I would guess a lot - both men and women.
Reply 72
Ive only come across this once or twice in person but on here, loads of people seem to hate makeup with a deep burning passion, guys and girls. Im genuinely curious about this, why would you hate it? Everyone looks better with well applied makeup. Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

Sentiments like this are why people who don't wear makeup can often get a bit militant :wink: I think makeup is completely up to personal choice, but I resent living in a society that thinks I've 'not made an effort' because I go without makeup 99% of the time and don't think I should be expected to wear it.

I also personally think that people look better without makeup - yes, including without 'natural-style' makeup. Obviously it's personal choice, but that's my point; we shouldn't be told that we're somehow less attractive/smart/etc because we don't wear makeup, any more than we should be told that we look worse with makeup on.
Reply 73
No it doesn't, they still have the same bone structure and features. :rolleyes:

So? Their facial appearance has been drastically improved. They are no longer ugly. Therefore you did contradict your own point.
Reply 74
British girls tend to wear makeup badly. Foundation isn't the cause at all. I honestly doubt you could tell everyone that's wearing foundation.

yeah, I've never hear that one before, nor have I been challenged on multiple occasions to say which girls have foundation on and which haven't and got it bang on every time without even looking away from the rugby :rolleyes:

I've had this same debate so many times with big groups of girls in real life over the year. "No such thing as invisible foundation" I claim.

"Oh yeah, which of us has it on then?"

"You, you, you, you and you"

"jesus, how did you do that?" they say. I shrug.

Truth is: in real life you can easily see foundation and it's off-putting. Its not nearly as invisible as girls like to convince themselves it is.
if you don't wear it but don't try to force that on everyone else, that's fine.

But it's okay for you to force it on everyone else by saying that people look 'quite plain and like she isn't bothered.' if they don't wear it?

You're contributing to the social peer pressure to wear it with comments like that.
Reply 76
Original post by py0alb

When I lived in the US, it was the exact opposite. Even girls on the Target checkout were wearing enough make-up to sink a battleship. My American female friends were amazed at how little make-up I wore (yes, I am British) in comparison to them. I let one do my face for a night out and I felt like a drag queen, I had to scrape most of it off.

I very rarely saw any women in the States without make-up, even on the beach. So no idea why you are making such brash generalisations.

The main countries I don't see women wearing much make-up are places like Spain, Italy.. It just melts off in the sun, so not much point.
Reply 77
Original post by alawhisp
When I lived in the US, it was the exact opposite. Even girls on the Target checkout were wearing enough make-up to sink a battleship. My American female friends were amazed at how little make-up I wore (yes, I am British) in comparison to them. I let one do my face for a night out and I felt like a drag queen, I had to scrape most of it off.

I very rarely saw any women in the States without make-up, even on the beach. So no idea why you are making such brash generalisations.

The main countries I don't see women wearing much make-up are places like Spain, Italy.. It just melts off in the sun, so not much point.

So what, you obviously went to a different area of the states or a different environment than i did, and hence had a different experience. So what's your point?
Original post by ArtGoblin
That is such a disgusting way of looking at women. We are not products, you are not buying us and we are not marketing ourselves. This isn't just aimed at you - several people on this thread have made the same analogy - but I find this attitude really horrible. It's arrogant as you assume women are only getting dressed up to impress you (or to sell themselves if you prefer) and it only refers to a woman's appearance rather than the many other things about her. Make-up isn't the only way people 'falsely advertise' before getting into a relationship - how many people do you think change themselves in order to impress someone they are attracted to? I would guess a lot - both men and women.

Well for an interview, it is isn't it? It may be harsh but that is essentially what it is. You do get a lot of people say "You look so beautiful" normally the guys and then two weeks later after he's slept with her or whatever, he tells me that "she's not all that, make-up is magic".

So :dontknow:
Reply 79
Original post by screenager2004
If I stop wearing it then I get the "!ROUGH!" "you look really tired" comments from everyone.

If people aren't used to seeing you without it, then when you don't wear it you will look tired to them for a while. After a while, when they become desensitised to it, they wont notice so much.
Or maybe you just look rough and tired naturally:idontknow:

Applying make-up drains hours of my life away. Men don't have to wear it, but women do. It's a sexist double standard.

It's not really sexism (at least on the part of men). And if it drains so much of your life, don't do it. Don't try to find excuses to wear it, just don't.

Quick Reply

Latest