The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4560
Original post by twelve
I know its a bit of an old man thing to do, but if you like the outdoors, have you considered doing some gardening? I'm sure you're parents will appreciate you sweeping up all the leaves at the moment :P

if you saw my garden you'd realise theres just toooooo much work to be done! id feel like im getting nowhere :/ plus it isnt the most sociable thing either! apart from i may impress my 70+ y/old neighbours who are really into their gardens, i was invited round the other day for cleaning their car :L i wouldnt accept money so the granny gave me some fruit bless her! and their garden is absolutely gorgeous! i feel ashamed haha. plus i volunteer at and elderly care home and my job (HCA) is on a old peoples ward too.. think im getting enough of my elderly people dose! haha any other ideas? thanks though :smile: what are you doing these days? :smile:
Original post by twelve
I just wish I knew of a way to make new friends! There are people I've met this week, on my training course for work, but I'm unlikely to see any of them again. Its all well and good being friendly with people who you will see every week at X club or when you're doing Y course, but how do you go from that to saying 'hey wanna go out sometime?'

My main "no-friend-issue" is that most of the people I know, like from BHF and the nursery (not that I've actually started yet :curious: ), but they're all like in their 30/40's+. They're nice people and all, but they're not the type of people you'd hang out with as friends. I miss nice teenager people :frown: (I say nice, cause at the local school college there are loads of idiot chavs who are just idiots basically) It sucks not living near a uni :frown:

Original post by rozca
Edit: oh are any of you worried about your brain dying from the lack of studying/school/exams etc? Like im scared next sept ill go to medschool or to uni to do maths/chemistry whatever it is i eventually end up doing and find it difficult compared to the people whove just come out of school and are used to studying! Please tell me im being silly?

YES! I fear my brain has already melted from the amount of stupid reality brain melting programs I've watched that I don't even like! :P I tried helping my sister with her gcse chemistry and couldn't remember anything haha (although tbh, I couldn't do it when I was doing A-level chem lol)
Original post by Quackers93

YES! I fear my brain has already melted from the amount of stupid reality brain melting programs I've watched that I don't even like! :P I tried helping my sister with her gcse chemistry and couldn't remember anything haha (although tbh, I couldn't do it when I was doing A-level chem lol)

i think i'm gonna start re-reading old biology and chemistry textbooks because i think my brain has stopped working.
i see all these threads on here asking simple chemistry questions, and i click on them and im just like .....well i did used to know this but cant remember now :confused:
Original post by atomos
i think i'm gonna start re-reading old biology and chemistry textbooks because i think my brain has stopped working.
i see all these threads on here asking simple chemistry questions, and i click on them and im just like .....well i did used to know this but cant remember now :confused:

I considered that until I remembered that we had to give ours all back :frown: I'm tempted to get my brother to get the books out the library for me, though it might be a bit suspicious seeing as he doesn't take any of those subjects, oh well he'll live :P And yeah same. I think "hmmm I'm sure I've seen that somewhere... oh yeah my exams, I really should have known that" :P
I considered that until I remembered that we had to give ours all back :frown: I'm tempted to get my brother to get the books out the library for me, though it might be a bit suspicious seeing as he doesn't take any of those subjects, oh well he'll live :P And yeah same. I think "hmmm I'm sure I've seen that somewhere... oh yeah my exams, I really should have known that" :P

same, but i still have my revision guide sortoftextbooks that cost a bomb because one of the lead manufacturers of revision guides in scotland quit or went bust or something so this new company came and was expensive :unimpressed:
(not that i was at all annoyed by that obviously.)

literally cannot remember anything, even the stuff i still have on posters above my bed because i cant be bothered to take down (really should though...its been like 6 months, i do not need the krebs cycle or how to derive physics equations in everyday life)

also unrelated but in search for that smiley up there i found this one. it looks so wrong. :surprise:
Reply 4565
Original post by twelve
I know its a bit of an old man thing to do, but if you like the outdoors, have you considered doing some gardening? I'm sure you're parents will appreciate you sweeping up all the leaves at the moment :P

I think we should all meet up for the day and do something silly like sit on an open top bus round London !
Reply 4566
Original post by oldbatty
I think we should all meet up for the day and do something silly like sit on an open top bus round London !

Long trip for us Glaswegians :biggrin:
Original post by atomos
same, but i still have my revision guide sortoftextbooks that cost a bomb because one of the lead manufacturers of revision guides in scotland quit or went bust or something so this new company came and was expensive :unimpressed:
(not that i was at all annoyed by that obviously.)

literally cannot remember anything, even the stuff i still have on posters above my bed because i cant be bothered to take down (really should though...its been like 6 months, i do not need the krebs cycle or how to derive physics equations in everyday life)

also unrelated but in search for that smiley up there i found this one. it looks so wrong. :surprise:

I've still got posters up in the bathroom about the brain with loads of writting on: like something about the cerebral cortex or something and something about the way our brains work with language with the right side for one thing and the left for another and how this is different in 4% of right-handed people but 15% of left-handed have the opposite arrangement and another 15% have them mix in both hemispheres - and the only reason i can remember the %'s is because I'm lefthanded and I absorb left handed information by osmosis :cool: :rolleyes:

I remember my biology teacher telling us that theres a company that, if you email and ask them, they'll send you a HUGE monster of a poster with more or less every chemical reaction and cycles in humans... am I a ma-hooo-sive geek for wanting it? :colondollar:

Hahaha I think I've seen that one before but I've never come across a situation where I could use. I should've just used my initative like you :redface:
Original post by Lookout

Seeing as I'm poor and scrooge like, we should all go to our nearest city (or somewhere that has open top buses) and have a mega awkward skype convo :cool: lol
Reply 4569
Original post by rozca
if you saw my garden you'd realise theres just toooooo much work to be done! id feel like im getting nowhere :/ plus it isnt the most sociable thing either! apart from i may impress my 70+ y/old neighbours who are really into their gardens, i was invited round the other day for cleaning their car :L i wouldnt accept money so the granny gave me some fruit bless her! and their garden is absolutely gorgeous! i feel ashamed haha. plus i volunteer at and elderly care home and my job (HCA) is on a old peoples ward too.. think im getting enough of my elderly people dose! haha any other ideas? thanks though :smile: what are you doing these days? :smile:

Haha, all the more reason to get started! You could always bribe your parents to pay you :P Hmm, apart from taking on more volunteering (purely for fun volunteering) there's not a lot more that I have in my ideas bank haha. I've been trying to think of more sociable hobbies... I've been tempted to tackle our garden, but its a mess as well - even though we have a gardener type person who does stuff every now and then haha.
Hmm, I haven't been doing a lot really :/ I've been doing training for my job (which I hopefully start next week YAYYYYYYYY) for four days this week, so thats kept me pretty busy. And tbh, for the time I've been at home, I'vebeen trying to rest up because I have a cold developing which makes me feel really tired. And even worse, if I still have the cold next week, then I can't go to work :cry:

My main "no-friend-issue" is that most of the people I know, like from BHF and the nursery (not that I've actually started yet :curious: ), but they're all like in their 30/40's+. They're nice people and all, but they're not the type of people you'd hang out with as friends. I miss nice teenager people :frown: (I say nice, cause at the local school college there are loads of idiot chavs who are just idiots basically) It sucks not living near a uni :frown:

Yeahh, thats the same with me really. There are actually a few people I COULD spend time with, but if I'm honest I don't really want to :/ They are aquaintances, but not friends. Veryyyy difficult.

Haha, well I thinkI spoke to some people about a meetup in the summer sometime :smile: Which would be really good if we could do it! Although London is the obvious choice, its not exactly central haha.

Seeing as I'm poor and scrooge like, we should all go to our nearest city (or somewhere that has open top buses) and have a mega awkward skype convo :cool: lol

Haha, skype convos are awkward even with my best friend... so god knows what it would be like with you guys haha(no offence or anything :P)
Original post by Lookout

even longer for us dundonians :colone:
I've still got posters up in the bathroom about the brain with loads of writting on: like something about the cerebral cortex or something and something about the way our brains work with language with the right side for one thing and the left for another and how this is different in 4% of right-handed people but 15% of left-handed have the opposite arrangement and another 15% have them mix in both hemispheres - and the only reason i can remember the %'s is because I'm lefthanded and I absorb left handed information by osmosis :cool: :rolleyes:

I remember my biology teacher telling us that theres a company that, if you email and ask them, they'll send you a HUGE monster of a poster with more or less every chemical reaction and cycles in humans... am I a ma-hooo-sive geek for wanting it? :colondollar:

Hahaha I think I've seen that one before but I've never come across a situation where I could use. I should've just used my initative like you :redface:

that first paragraph is mush to me, my brain is that inactive :tongue:

WANT. please find out where, i totally want it!

hehe :colone:
Original post by twelve
Yeahh, thats the same with me really. There are actually a few people I COULD spend time with, but if I'm honest I don't really want to :/ They are aquaintances, but not friends. Veryyyy difficult.

Haha, skype convos are awkward even with my best friend... so god knows what it would be like with you guys haha(no offence or anything :P)

Haha no worries, I can't handle a phone call let alone skype lol I always end up getting one of my sisters toys and waving it infront of the screen just to break the awkward silence :tongue:

And snap! It's the incredibly annoying dilemma of "I want a friend" and "but not anyone who I actually know" lol I also particularly dislike when you don't know where you stand with people. Are you aquaintances? Are you friends? Are you in the somewhat awkward state where you can't figure out if someone who you don't like, likes you? lol What are we going to be like at uni trying to make friends :')
Reply 4573
Haha no worries, I can't handle a phone call let alone skype lol I always end up getting one of my sisters toys and waving it infront of the screen just to break the awkward silence :tongue:

And snap! It's the incredibly annoying dilemma of "I want a friend" and "but not anyone who I actually know" lol I also particularly dislike when you don't know where you stand with people. Are you aquaintances? Are you friends? Are you in the somewhat awkward state where you can't figure out if someone who you don't like, likes you? lol What are we going to be like at uni trying to make friends :')

Oh god, Icompletely agree with everything you just said haha. Its going to be horrible. At what point is it socially acceptable to send a 'how are you?' text?! And how do you broach the really awkward, 'whats your number?' thing, without sounding overly keen, or asking somebody who is unlikely to want you to text/call them. Social etiquette was soo much easier when you just bowed and curtsied and called everyone sir or madam i'm sure!

Original post by atomos
even longer for us dundonians :colone:

Haha, is dundonians the exact term? Its a funny word haha. Funnier than Liverpuddlian I think haha.
Original post by atomos
that first paragraph is mush to me, my brain is that inactive :tongue:

WANT. please find out where, i totally want it!

hehe :colone:

Tbh it's mainly mush to me and a jumble of words thrown together haha

I'm tempted to email my old teacher just to ask that... that won't be really awkward AT ALL! :curious: Ah I'm gonna do it anyways :cool:

... what's with me and the word awkward tonight? :K:
Original post by twelve

Haha, is dundonians the exact term? Its a funny word haha. Funnier than Liverpuddlian I think haha.

haha yeah it is :tongue:
(also its aberdonian if your from aberdeen, i think that sounds funnier)

i like liverpudlian though, first time i read that word i thought it was some sort of custardy pudding :colondollar:
Tbh it's mainly mush to me and a jumble of words thrown together haha

I'm tempted to email my old teacher just to ask that... that won't be really awkward AT ALL! :curious: Ah I'm gonna do it anyways :cool:

... what's with me and the word awkward tonight? :K:

do it do it do it
if it's an email at least its not an even more awkward face to face conversation

let me know the outcome :biggrin:
Original post by twelve
Oh god, Icompletely agree with everything you just said haha. Its going to be horrible. At what point is it socially acceptable to send a 'how are you?' text?! And how do you broach the really awkward, 'whats your number?' thing, without sounding overly keen, or asking somebody who is unlikely to want you to text/call them. Social etiquette was soo much easier when you just bowed and curtsied and called everyone sir or madam i'm sure!

Hahaha that reminds me of when I liked (like liked lol) my friend and wanted his number but could never really ask him, but then I eventually, somehow, just ended up with it on my phone like it appeared from nowhere :s-smilie: If everytime the awkward situation of needing/wanting phone numbers comes up, andit happens like that I will be pretty happy :smile: and Yes! I'm like that even with really good friends, particularly uni ones cause you don't want to send them it cause they might be bust with unis tuff/friends and you don't want to annoy them either but then again you don't want them to think that you don't really care cause they've left now and THEN theres the awkward bit where you can't keep up a conversation cause there's nothing much to say... ARGHHHHH annoying confusion :l [I think I overthink things :P ] And I agree, it probably was soooo much easier - and they had some epic wigs :cool:

Original post by atomos
haha yeah it is :tongue:
(also its aberdonian if your from aberdeen, i think that sounds funnier)

i like liverpudlian though, first time i read that word i thought it was some sort of custardy pudding :colondollar:

Hahahahaha so did I twinny, so did I :awesome:

Original post by atomos
do it do it do it
if it's an email at least its not an even more awkward face to face conversation

let me know the outcome :biggrin:

This is true and I shall! Don't worry you'll probably hear/see me boasting about my absolutely amazing new poster! He showed us it in class and if i remember right it was like the size of half a wall it was seriously huge!
this is sort of unrelated to everything there but what yous were saying about asking for numbers just reminded me that someone asked for mine on halloween but i was too drunk to type it in properly, so i gave him the wrong one but was too embarrassed to admit it.

so gutted, first time someones asked for my number on a night out :colondollar:and he was hot

Hahahahaha so did I twinny, so did I :awesome:

This is true and I shall! Don't worry you'll probably hear/see me boasting about my absolutely amazing new poster! He showed us it in class and if i remember right it was like the size of half a wall it was seriously huge!

sweeet, been wanting to redecorate my walls anyway :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending