The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by John Locke
why? PDH is an extremely important integrating enzyme and essential to understanding integrative metabolic biochemistry. Also PDH deficiency is supposedly the most common inborn error of metabolism causing lactic acidosis. Also also, it's an amaaazing enzyme that does funky stuff and is very clever :p:

I'm not saying don't learn its function and integrate that with pathology. By all means. I'm for that. What I'm saying is that pointless, superfluous detail, such as the structure of PDH, is just learning for learning's sake. And I'm not entirely against that either: I know loads of stuff that's utterly irrelevant for practising medicine, I just think that should be down to the discretion of the student to follow their interests and not for the medical school to force up on them.

Knowing the material in insane levels of depth, in my opinion, is pointless: you forget it all anyway, unless you have a particular interest (in which case, go ahead).
Original post by fairy spangles
I have no share in your passion on PDH.
Dont worry it will pass on entering clinical years and you will begin to wonder what exactly metabolic biochemistry is - apart from sounding like a very clever thing to say.

I have no passion in particular :p: it is common enough (used in the loosest possible sense relative to other IEMs) and interesting enough that i remember it, biased slightly by my love of metabolism. haha i'm sure it would though! we dont really do any more metabolism after 1st year and the toll of even a few months has shown on some already :p:.

Original post by Kinkerz
I'm not saying don't learn its function and integrate that with pathology. By all means. I'm for that. What I'm saying is that pointless, superfluous detail, such as the structure of PDH, is just learning for learning's sake. And I'm not entirely against that either: I know loads of stuff that's utterly irrelevant for practising medicine, I just think that should be down to the discretion of the student to follow their interests and not for the medical school to force up on them.

Knowing the material in insane levels of depth, in my opinion, is pointless: you forget it all anyway, unless you have a particular interest (in which case, go ahead).

oh yeah, but i imagine when most medical students say they have to 'learn the structure' what they actually mean is perhaps subunit composition at most (so in this case something like E1-3, location of PDHK and PDHP) rather than what understanding the actual structure in a biochemical sense, for example key amino acids etc. the latter of which being unnecessary in a medical sense and so justifiably avoidable. This then draws in the issue of where you kill the scientific curiosity and focus on pathophysiological necessities, for example here I'm sure you can gain some comprehension of the pathophysiology of PDH deficiency without understanding that E1 is the most common loss and what exactly that means in a molecular sense. In any case i really doubt anyone does actually have to know even subunit-type detail as a core component of their course, unless they have a particularly obtuse lecturer setting the exam...

i completely agree with your point of view though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Seems like I can't post in the graduate medic thread without being randomly negged.. Weird.
Original post by John Locke
oh yeah, but i imagine when most medical students say they have to 'learn the structure' what they actually mean is perhaps subunit composition at most (so in this case something like E1-3, location of PDHK and PDHP) rather than what understanding the actual structure in a biochemical sense, for example key amino acids etc. the latter of which being unnecessary in a medical sense and so justifiably avoidable.

I would probably go so far as to say that a more superficial knowledge than the subunit composition is perfectly fine. In fact, I imagine many doctors go through their entire - probably successful - working lives never having given this enzyme a moment's thought. Learnt it in semester one of year two of medical school, crammed it for an exam and then permitted it to drift out of memory.

This then draws in the issue of where you kill the scientific curiosity and focus on pathophysiological necessities, for example here I'm sure you can gain some comprehension of the pathophysiology of PDH deficiency without understanding that E1 is the most common loss and what exactly that means in a molecular sense.

In some cases I think enforcing unnecessary detail on everything would stunt scientific curiosity in favour of attempting to cram for exams and so on. One of the advantages of the more 'hands off' approach, for instance, at Keele, is that it gives you the opportunity to follow up on areas of interest without getting too far behind with your memorisation of petty details.

In any case i really doubt anyone does actually have to know even subunit-type detail as a core component of their course, unless they have a particularly obtuse lecturer setting the exam...

I hope you're right.
Reply 6504
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
I remember the semester before Phase 1 exam:
:- work for SSC module (why on EARTH did I pick 'brain disorders and cell signalling' - essay and presentation and workbook to do)
:- Revision for Phase 1 exam (learning the last 2.5 years worth of medicine aargh)
:- 10,000 word dissertation to be done (on two patients with same PC but different diagnoses).
:- doing the new modules for semester 5 (Pharmacology and Neuro - not easy! Although third module was Integrative so was helpful in integrating the last 2.5 years worth of knowledge although do wish Leicester didn't love putting rare diseases in groupwork, I mean they are interesting and I do enjoy learning about them more than the common stuff but then come exams :s-smilie:)

And now the thought of going back to our 4th year exam + OSCE after intercalating doesn't sound so good...

I was hoping that they would start slow since I've only been at university what... a month? But no... it's bloody intense.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Listening to Placebo because I'm a 12 year old goth.

I still listen to Placebo, Jack off Jill, Marilyn Manson et al from time to time :colondollar:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Seems like I can't post in the graduate medic thread without being randomly negged.. Weird.

Nobody likes an owl, ok?
Exams. Dislike. Exams. Dislike. Studying. Dislike. And I choose to do this to myself. :frown:
Original post by Beska
I was hoping that they would start slow since I've only been at university what... a month? But no... it's bloody intense.

You will soon learn that this is futile if you haven't already. In my experience, a property similar to that of entropy seems to govern term time with an iron fist.
Speaking of conferences/courses, I went on a 5 day course on Global Health at the Dept Public Health at Imperial College. It was really good, enjoyed the lectures, v well organised and some top lecturers there. Also was during summer. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Global Health/Public Health issues. Was a mix of ppl attending, not just med students.

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/publichealth/education/shortcourses/globalhealth/
Original post by Kinkerz
I would probably go so far as to say that a more superficial knowledge than the subunit composition is perfectly fine. In fact, I imagine many doctors go through their entire - probably successful - working lives never having given this enzyme a moment's thought. Learnt it in semester one of year two of medical school, crammed it for an exam and then permitted it to drift out of memory.

of course! only a small subset of practicing doctors have a requirement to know such things but that is not to say it isn't of medical interest, particularly as the function of preclinical medicine is not only to prepare for the absolute clinical requirement but to also instill a sense of continuity between the scientific basis of- and clinical medicine.

Original post by Kinkerz
In some cases I think enforcing unnecessary detail on everything would stunt scientific curiosity in favour of attempting to cram for exams and so on. One of the advantages of the more 'hands off' approach, for instance, at Keele, is that it gives you the opportunity to follow up on areas of interest without getting too far behind with your memorisation of petty details.

this is perfectly true for detail that has no functional consequence, such as the biochemical details i previously mentioned. However it isn't the case here that such detail is stunting curiosity IMO as instead it appeals to the students who are very in to the whys and hows, for example here that might be 'how does PDH become (in)activated, what is the biochemical basis? what exactly happens?' who are perhaps those more likely to be interested in academic science perhaps in combination with clinical medicine in the future. Completely agree with the intellectual freedom you describe though and that's pretty much how it works here with a compression of core material then freedom to pursue the rest (not that i would ever promote it...). If anything that is an argument against the way heavily teaching based (i.e. 9-5s) courses work?
Reply 6511
This is all so exciting your all medical students! i've applied for 2012 and i've got my fingers crossed for a place:smile: how are you all finding it? loving it?
Reply 6512
Original post by Kinkerz
You will soon learn that this is futile if you haven't already. In my experience, a property similar to that of entropy seems to govern term time with an iron fist.

I discovered this after my dentist flatmates had 3 days off from lectures to 'revise' for their exam while we had 5 hours on all the days preceding the exam, and the days after it as well. Bloody dentists...!
Original post by sophiell
This is all so exciting your all medical students! i've applied for 2012 and i've got my fingers crossed for a place:smile: how are you all finding it? loving it?

stressful
Reply 6514
Original post by sophiell
loving it?

If there was an opposite of loving it (that wasn't necessarily hating it) then that would probably be spot on...
What the **** is the difference between health inequalities and health inequities? I've read so many different resources and it still sounds like bull ****.
this is perfectly true for detail that has no functional consequence, such as the biochemical details i previously mentioned. However it isn't the case here that such detail is stunting curiosity IMO as instead it appeals to the students who are very in to the whys and hows, for example here that might be 'how does PDH become (in)activated, what is the biochemical basis? what exactly happens?' who are perhaps those more likely to be interested in academic science perhaps in combination with clinical medicine in the future. Completely agree with the intellectual freedom you describe though and that's pretty much how it works here with a compression of core material then freedom to pursue the rest (not that i would ever promote it...). If anything that is an argument against the way heavily teaching based (i.e. 9-5s) courses work?

Interesting. I think it possibly depends on the personality of the individual.

I think it's an argument for it. Whether it's a knock-down argument I'm not sure.
Original post by Kinkerz
Interesting. I think it possibly depends on the personality of the individual.

I think it's an argument for it. Whether it's a knock-down argument I'm not sure.

i would agree, it's definitely wasted on the majority but it becomes a question if its worth it for those few who may go on and be interested enough to get involved with such things in the future. I think two things help it happen, firstly pre-clinical lecturers are more likely to be polarised towards thinking in that kind of way rather than a strict clinical sense (regardless of qualifications) and the massive shortage of people that do want that link (i.e. the potential clinical academics) are in such shortage that medical education has to do the best to encourage the borderline students that it can!

would also agree it probably isn't a KO, especially considering for most people the extra time off associated with freedom to pursue their interests probably involves their academic curiosity with the pub more than medical science, and justifiably so! An argument none-the-less though :smile:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
What the **** is the difference between health inequalities and health inequities? I've read so many different resources and it still sounds like bull ****.

“Inequalities and equality are dimensional concepts, simply referring to measurable quantities. Inequity and equity, on the other hand, are political concepts, expressing a moral commitment to social justice”

Kawachi et al (2002)

Practically, an equal provision of care would involve giving everybody the same level of care and access to resources. An equitable service would provide a greater level of care to those who are deemed to need it most.
Original post by Beska

Yeah it gets worse, more to learn in shorter space of time. Are your exams cumulative? But the upside is, the content gets more interesting so less of a hassle to learn. Also you get used to learning and remembering that much information, for me: my first year was the easiest but I 'learnt' the most in my third year and got the most out of that year definitely.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending