The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

at our uni it's the really shocking lectures that get a clap, kind of a mutual "god that was ****e" moment
Meh haven't been in lately, ibsc beckons...

In a patient with a scalely rash on the arms, looks thin and a watery diarrhhoea, with low amts what's the diagnosis? (I missed it at the time)...
Reply 6642
Original post by Wangers
Meh haven't been in lately, ibsc beckons...

In a patient with a scalely rash on the arms, looks thin and a watery diarrhhoea, with low amts what's the diagnosis? (I missed it at the time)...

My guess would be B3 deficiency, 'Pellagra'... Remember with the Ds - Diarrhoea, Dermatitis, Dementia and Death (uh-ho).

Looking thin = malnutrition = vitamin deficiency
I freaking hate SSCs. I need to keep reiterating this.
Original post by Tech
My guess would be B3 deficiency, 'Pellagra'... Remember with the Ds - Diarrhoea, Dermatitis, Dementia and Death (uh-ho).

Looking thin = malnutrition = vitamin deficiency

Absolutly, I completly missed the dx, wasn't thinking of it, my thoughts were elderly pt, malnourished ?cehcexia confused and with diahhorrea. All of which are sadly fairly common in hospital. + a rash, which I'd never seen before. I thought ?ezcama. He diddnt have Cassels though.
Regarding the clapping of lecturers at the end of a lecture, we do often get that classic med school scenario whereby the lecturer's just given the most boring, uninspiring lecture ever and at the end asks, "Any questions?"

To which most of us start clapping before the keenos at the front start asking questions and prolonging the agony :smile:
Reply 6646
Original post by No Future
Baby, you're so hot, you denature my proteins :wink:

"Let me be your helicase so that I could unzip your jeans".. awful

Original post by gozatron
Urgh PLEASE can people stop clapping after lectures...

nobody ever clapped in my year, join us with the GEPs in third year and you pretty much get claps after each lecture :mad:

Original post by No Future
Ok so I decided to do some work as I can't sleep. We have to write a reflective piece. I have not really done a proper reflective piece before. I have done some in the past but basically wrote a load of blah, but this one actually gets marked and I have no idea how to reflect :s-smilie:.

I have tried to Google: how to reflect.
Any tips?

Help :frown:

a brief description of the situation, how it made you feel, how did you react, what you learnt, how will this experience change your practice in the future.. I have reflected waaaay too much in this degree.
Creative writing. We literally have to do creative writing, with illustrations, as part of our comm skills module. I may submit some quite disturbing crayon scribbles.
Original post by graemematt
Regarding the clapping of lecturers at the end of a lecture, we do often get that classic med school scenario whereby the lecturer's just given the most boring, uninspiring lecture ever and at the end asks, "Any questions?"

To which most of us start clapping before the keenos at the front start asking questions and prolonging the agony :smile:

I think it's even worse when you have 4 different lecturers in a span of 4 hours. By the time you get to the last lecture, we are all too excited to leave that we forget to clap. It gets so awkward because obviously the lecturer is expecting us to clap and you can hear a pin drop and then someone makes a move - cue stampede out the door. Still remember we had one lecture where we didn't clap and was waiting for the next lecturer to come in. You could feel the tension in the air...someone finally clapped (very slowly)...and then maybe 5ish people joined. Felt really bad for the lecturer. (yes it was a very very boring and uninspiring lecture).
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Creative writing. We literally have to do creative writing, with illustrations, as part of our comm skills module. I may submit some quite disturbing crayon scribbles.

Sounds like good preparation for Foundation Programme applications....
Original post by Captain Crash
Sounds like good preparation for Foundation Programme applications....

Do you think I'd be able to fill out my FPAS forms in crayon?
Original post by gozatron
Urgh PLEASE can people stop clapping after lectures...

We as a year tend to clap, for the very least out of respect for the lecturer, they're very rarely so bad they don't receive one.
Been off TSR for so long...
Original post by Mushi_master
I freaking hate SSCs. I need to keep reiterating this.

Agreed! They are such a mission :frown: How is 3rd year going?! :biggrin:
Gotta do some **** about inter-professional learning. Some online forum with nursing/physio/social work etc students and online e-tivities about a fictional street :facepalm2:

We've also had two lectures about how to search a journal database. Keeping in mind that we're all graduates. I wont even mention the afternoon that we spent having a group discussion to define what it meant to be 'ethnic'.

As much as I love my medical school, they have weird priorities sometimes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Gotta do some **** about inter-professional learning. Some online forum with nursing/physio/social work etc students and online e-tivities about a fictional street :facepalm2:

We've also had two lectures about how to search a journal database. Keeping in mind that we're all graduates. I wont even mention the afternoon that we spent having a group discussion to define what it meant to be 'ethnic'.

As much as I love my medical school, they have weird priorities sometimes.

I once had a "Diversity" afternoon, which began with us having to explain our surnames and their/our origins.

My surname was fairly self explanatory, I felt (very common British surname, relating to the fact that probably at some point in the past my ancestors caught fish for a living). This didn't stop the facilitator probing about where I thought it came from (well, duh), whether anyone in my family still fished (no) and whether I felt it "represented" me (erm...?)
Reply 6656
Original post by Helenia
I once had a "Diversity" afternoon, which began with us having to explain our surnames and their/our origins.

My surname was fairly self explanatory, I felt (very common British surname, relating to the fact that probably at some point in the past my ancestors caught fish for a living). This didn't stop the facilitator probing about where I thought it came from (well, duh), whether anyone in my family still fished (no) and whether I felt it "represented" me (erm...?)

lol I'd probably just make something up like saying I chose my surname. If he asks why I chose that particular name, I'd just come up with either some really just practical reason (fewer letters) or some arbitrary reason (has the correct number of vowels for a surname).
Original post by SMed
lol I'd probably just make something up like saying I chose my surname. If he asks why I chose that particular name, I'd just come up with either some really just practical reason (fewer letters) or some arbitrary reason (has the correct number of vowels for a surname).

Given the **** I got at school for my surname, I have no idea why anyone would pick it voluntarily.
I quite like my surname, it doesn't sound particularly unusual, IMO, but I've never met anyone else (who I'm not related to) that shares it.
Worked in Sir Alec Jeffries lab today. :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending