The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Drama and English Applicants 2012

Any Drama and English Bristol applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im at bristol doing drama!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by pixiebee
im at bristol doing drama!

what sort of things can i expect from the course? is it more theatre based? oh and how much practical work do you do?

also how cheap/ quick is it to get up to london?

sorry for all the questions. i haven't heard back yet but bristol may be my first choice! :smile:
Reply 3
I'm applying for Drama and English at Bristol too :smile: I haven't heard anything back either =/ It's my first choice too :smile: Where else have you applied?
Reply 4
Original post by gemnomnom
I'm applying for Drama and English at Bristol too :smile: I haven't heard anything back either =/ It's my first choice too :smile: Where else have you applied?

Hey haha and your applying to sussex too right?
Um
York, UEA, Bristol, Sussex and Royal Holloway
Do you know if universities ever send offers or interviews during the weekend? Or am I waiting until next week now?
Reply 5
Original post by icbilling
what sort of things can i expect from the course? is it more theatre based? oh and how much practical work do you do?

also how cheap/ quick is it to get up to london?

sorry for all the questions. i haven't heard back yet but bristol may be my first choice! :smile:

the course is equally split between theatre, film and television, but the extra curricular stuff (which is absolutely awesome, so many opportunities to get involved all the time is every imaginable production area) is very much theatre centric, so i would probably say that if it is film you are most interested in it isn't quite as much going on.

im from london and have been back 3 times this term, it is roughly about 30 pounds return and takes about 2 hours to get into paddington and nearer to 3 to get into waterloo.

i sent my application off in early october and didnt hear about my audition till late january so just chill :smile:
Reply 6
the course is equally split between theatre, film and television, but the extra curricular stuff (which is absolutely awesome, so many opportunities to get involved all the time is every imaginable production area) is very much theatre centric, so i would probably say that if it is film you are most interested in it isn't quite as much going on.

im from london and have been back 3 times this term, it is roughly about 30 pounds return and takes about 2 hours to get into paddington and nearer to 3 to get into waterloo.

i sent my application off in early october and didnt hear about my audition till late january so just chill :smile:

thanks for the info!
what do you think made you stand out from the other applicants?
I know that competition for the course is intense..
I'm happy to hear about it being more theatre based since that definitely appeals to me.
Reply 7
thanks for the info!
what do you think made you stand out from the other applicants?
I know that competition for the course is intense..
I'm happy to hear about it being more theatre based since that definitely appeals to me.

i think my passion just stood out, i knew a lot about my subject so just make sure you are extremely, extremely well read as they can throw anything at you. i also think at the auditions i wasnt cocky or too loud, just be completely yourself and your talent will come through.

the competition is immense, about 1300 applicants for roughly 35 places, its crazy! but dont let this worry you, just go in there and do you best, thats all you can do.

let me know how it goes :smile:
Reply 8
i think my passion just stood out, i knew a lot about my subject so just make sure you are extremely, extremely well read as they can throw anything at you. i also think at the auditions i wasnt cocky or too loud, just be completely yourself and your talent will come through.

the competition is immense, about 1300 applicants for roughly 35 places, its crazy! but dont let this worry you, just go in there and do you best, thats all you can do.

let me know how it goes :smile:

thanks! i will :smile:
Reply 9
Interview and Workshop on the 3rd of feb! I am nervous but excited.. so happy to be one of the 36 who got an interview :biggrin:
Reply 10
Interview and Workshop on the 3rd of feb! I am nervous but excited.. so happy to be one of the 36 who got an interview :biggrin:

I'm gonna be there too, how you feeling about it?
Interview on the 8th :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ek101
I'm gonna be there too, how you feeling about it?

Pretty good I mean I'm going to try not to get nervous and just introduce myself to people before the workshops or group work can be awkward but yeah I think it will be alright. I mean of course I'm a little nervous but in a good way. It's exciting! :smile:
Are you doing the morning or afternoon session?
I really wish it was a one-to-one interview, not sure about this workshop/seminar thing!
Reply 14
It will be fine, besides it gives you more of a chance to impress them because it doesn't all depend on the interview but you have a whole five hours to show them how good you are!
Reply 15
I really wish it was a one-to-one interview, not sure about this workshop/seminar thing!

I agree completey I felt like it was impossible to stand out but hey I have to wait and see..

I didn't realise how harsh it was going to be until I went myself.. haha
I agree completey I felt like it was impossible to stand out but hey I have to wait and see..

I didn't realise how harsh it was going to be until I went myself.. haha

Oh no, why was it harsh? :frown: I'm sure you did great though hun
Reply 17
Oh no, why was it harsh? :frown: I'm sure you did great though hun

There was about 50 of us talking over each other trying to sound impressive I found the whole experience really silly and the university a little pretentious because their drama department isn't that modern but they have a good reputation. Which is probably why I didn't get in but hey I didn't want to go so I hope someone who enjoys the university gets the place. I am more of a scriptwriter than a straight english and drama student so it wouldn't have suited me anyway.
Reply 18
There was about 50 of us talking over each other trying to sound impressive I found the whole experience really silly and the university a little pretentious because their drama department isn't that modern but they have a good reputation. Which is probably why I didn't get in but hey I didn't want to go so I hope someone who enjoys the university gets the place. I am more of a scriptwriter than a straight english and drama student so it wouldn't have suited me anyway.

why did you find it pretentious? bit silly to think that just because a department doesn't have some huge flashy building it is not modern?

and also, you say you're a 'scriptwriter', bristol drama societies could not be more suited to that particular skill. so don't make assumptions too quickly.

the bristol drama degree is the most prestigious in the entire country so im sure there will be plenty more to fill your unwanted place.
Reply 19
why did you find it pretentious? bit silly to think that just because a department doesn't have some huge flashy building it is not modern?

and also, you say you're a 'scriptwriter', bristol drama societies could not be more suited to that particular skill. so don't make assumptions too quickly.

the bristol drama degree is the most prestigious in the entire country so im sure there will be plenty more to fill your unwanted place.

don't get so touchy I was simply sharing my personal opinion, not everyone has to love the place.
I wouldn't say it is the most prestigious in the country.. that is exactly why I didn't like it because they were so convinced that Bristol was the best.
There are several universities that are better for both drama and english, but hey.. At the end of the day if you are happy there that is great.. just don't freak out because other people don't LOVE your university..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending