The Student Room Group

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by divina commedia
People who hate sushi. I mean, c'mon, it's so good :wink:

Aww, I hate sushi for different reasons. Hate because I'm vegetarian and what I thought was a bit of vegetarian sushi actually was a bit of green fish, and hate it even more because it actually tasted really nice :tongue:
Original post by conway!
Aww, I hate sushi for different reasons. Hate because I'm vegetarian and what I thought was a bit of vegetarian sushi actually was a bit of green fish, and hate it even more because it actually tasted really nice :tongue:

Fair enough, I'm not a veggie and I do like eating meat but I can see where you're coming from as a vegetarian; I've even tried it myself for half a year :wink: but I think when I live on my own I might try again :smile:
Reply 822
Speaking of sushi - people that pick the top of nigiri or generally just dissect it in some way is a MASSIVE crime.

Sushi is an absolute culinary ART, and as such it should be treated with the utmost respect. The ingredients are chosen, prepared and presented in such a way that you should view it as the perfect representation of what it should be. So if you peel that ebi off the top or rip the nori off, you're effectively telling the chef he sucks. What's the point?

Also, if you're going to scarf it down like you're eating McDonalds fries, that's equally pointless. Nigiri should be eaten rice side up, topping side down, so the fish/meat/vegetable hits the tongue first, dissolves and develops, then the subtler rice and then the bitter vinegar join the tastebuds into a delicious symphony of flavour. Otherwise you're getting a gobful of rice and chomp it up, and "Oh, what kind was that?"
"oh, some kinda fish".
"oh, cool."
Original post by TotoMimo
Speaking of sushi - people that pick the top of nigiri or generally just dissect it in some way is a MASSIVE crime.

Sushi is an absolute culinary ART, and as such it should be treated with the utmost respect. The ingredients are chosen, prepared and presented in such a way that you should view it as the perfect representation of what it should be. So if you peel that ebi off the top or rip the nori off, you're effectively telling the chef he sucks. What's the point?

Also, if you're going to scarf it down like you're eating McDonalds fries, that's equally pointless. Nigiri should be eaten rice side up, topping side down, so the fish/meat/vegetable hits the tongue first, dissolves and develops, then the subtler rice and then the bitter vinegar join the tastebuds into a delicious symphony of flavour. Otherwise you're getting a gobful of rice and chomp it up, and "Oh, what kind was that?"
"oh, some kinda fish".
"oh, cool."

I love Sushi. Supermarket versions don't do it justice though, then people judge it by that :frown:
I really want to try sushi... but I'm worried about going to a sushi restaraunt, spending money I don't have, and not even liking it :frown:
Original post by Little Hobbit
I really want to try sushi... but I'm worried about going to a sushi restaraunt, spending money I don't have, and not even liking it :frown:

It really isn't that offensive a flavour. If you like fish + rice, you'll like sushi containing fish more than likely. It's just a new texture/temperature to your palate I guess. I'd certainly say try it though!
Original post by MelissaJayne
It really isn't that offensive a flavour. If you like fish + rice, you'll like sushi containing fish more than likely. It's just a new texture/temperature to your palate I guess. I'd certainly say try it though!

I'm sure I would like it! I do like fish and rice, in fact I like pretty much everything :tongue: Maybe I can meet a chef who will make me some :love:
:drool: i looovvee sushi
Original post by divina commedia
That's kind of true, but it's also quite filling :smile: make some :biggrin:

Seaweed is fairly vile though :redface:

the stuff without seaweed it pretty tasty
Original post by Little Hobbit

Get some innocent sushi foods to build up to sashimi. I love sushi but I hate raw fish so I just avoid it.

Crispy salmon skin maki is fairly innocent and nommy <3
Reply 830
Original post by MelissaJayne
I love Sushi. Supermarket versions don't do it justice though, then people judge it by that :frown:

I know, Melissa, when it tastes absolutely NOTHING like the genuine article.

I've had people say "Sushi is disgusting" after trying... of all things... Asda's own brand chilled CREAM CHEESE pre-packed sushi.

That's like saying "Ew, all gourmet chocolate is disgusting!" after only trying a Hersheys bar...
People who waste juices left in a pan after cooking meat etc, add a bit of flour and water, possibly some seasoning = perfec' gravy <3
I've just commit the unforgivable crime of overcooking two poached eggs. A little bit of me died inside when I saw what I've reduced those delicious Taste The Difference Golden Yolk Eggs to ):
Curry and chips is a sin.
When my brothers put tomato ketchup on their mash and then mix it all up so it turns pink, I actually heave. Vile.
Reply 835
Always seems such a waste/crime to me when people get ice creams (non-cones) in firm, delicious sundae format etc then they just squish and moosh them continuously into some kind of cold cream soup before eating.

WHY NOT JUST GET A BOWL OF CREAM INSTEAD. Pff.
Reply 836
People that, when eating sandwiches, CONSTANTLY dissect it and discard loads of it.

*bites*
*takes out a tomato slice*
*bites*
*throws away a bit of the crust*

WHAT ARE YOU DOING.
Sushi is just wrong. Tried it once and really do not like it.
Reply 838
Original post by OU Student
Sushi is just wrong. Tried it once and really do not like it.

I wouldn't agree Sushi is a crime in general, but uncultured animals that scarf down sushi like maccy dee's fries certainly is MEGA CRIM.
Reply 839
i hate people that have prejudiced opinions of food before they've even tried it ... like, just because something sounds unusual or different to what they've had they say 'yuck!' or 'i don't like that'.

just give it a try, dammit! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest