The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Was just browsing the TES jobs site and have actually found a job I could apply for! But no idea where to start with my letter of application or anything. Annoyingly, the closing date is January 6th so not much time to get it done if I were to wait until school starts up again, and I don't know if I should pester my tutor to help me as it's the holidays now- I'm fairly sure she wouldn't mind, but still.

It's a bit weird, looking at a real teaching job and thinking "yeah I could actually go for that", I certainly don't feel qualified. Stressing about teaching related things was not how I intended to spend the first day of the holidays!
Original post by noodles!
Was just browsing the TES jobs site and have actually found a job I could apply for! But no idea where to start with my letter of application or anything. Annoyingly, the closing date is January 6th so not much time to get it done if I were to wait until school starts up again, and I don't know if I should pester my tutor to help me as it's the holidays now- I'm fairly sure she wouldn't mind, but still.

It's a bit weird, looking at a real teaching job and thinking "yeah I could actually go for that", I certainly don't feel qualified. Stressing about teaching related things was not how I intended to spend the first day of the holidays!

I am exactly the same, I was planning to spend the holidays; writing a draft letter of application, mooching through personal specifications and writing some fitting draft paragraphs. It's just a starting point but still! I can't seem to unwind just yet, the minds still whirring.

Have you tried the TES? They are quite helpful on the forums with loads of application advice! You can even ask them specific questions (try the Student teachers or Job seekers forum)

I'm not officially on holiday until Tues afternoon as I have a my placement school visit! :smile:
I wrote a PS for teaching jobs and had the careers advisor at uni (she was the one who did teaching related stuff) look at it - apart from a few minor changes, she said it was really good. It also got me 2/3 interviews (the one I didn't get was the NQT post at a special needs school), with at least 60 people going for one of the jobs I got interviewed for. If anyone wants to look at it, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by *Interrobang*
I wrote a PS for teaching jobs and had the careers advisor at uni (she was the one who did teaching related stuff) look at it - apart from a few minor changes, she said it was really good. It also got me 2/3 interviews (the one I didn't get was the NQT post at a special needs school), with at least 60 people going for one of the jobs I got interviewed for. If anyone wants to look at it, feel free to ask :smile:

would you mind PMing it to me please? Think I need to see some examples to give me some confidence that I'm doing it right!
Original post by *Interrobang*

I'd love to have a sneaky peek. I'm just not sure if I'm going down the right path.

What are peoples' experiences of Eteach.com? Just signed myself up but I haven't uploaded anything to it yet or signed up to any of the schools pools.
Original post by balloon_parade
I'd love to have a sneaky peek. I'm just not sure if I'm going down the right path.

What are peoples' experiences of Eteach.com? Just signed myself up but I haven't uploaded anything to it yet or signed up to any of the schools pools.

I was going to do this, it's on my to-do list.

I am getting quite worried about getting a job now, an ex-placementee (is that a word? I am so making that a word) has been texting the HoD at the placement school I have just left, and apparently the other trainee who was there at hte same time as me wants a job there too. If there's so few jobs I will be going up against some very talented people :frown:
Original post by Suzanathema
I was going to do this, it's on my to-do list.

I am getting quite worried about getting a job now, an ex-placementee (is that a word? I am so making that a word) has been texting the HoD at the placement school I have just left, and apparently the other trainee who was there at hte same time as me wants a job there too. If there's so few jobs I will be going up against some very talented people :frown:

Me too, especially since our career sessions have been so utterly depressing. (the main agenda being grow a penis and move to London :tongue:)

We've just got to be the best we can be and go above and beyond on our next placements! I'm just finishing off my assignment and then I'm going to attempt a personal statement, scary! Don't psyche yourself out because of the competition! You're just as worthy as them. :smile:
Original post by balloon_parade
Me too, especially since our career sessions have been so utterly depressing. (the main agenda being grow a penis and move to London :tongue:)

We've just got to be the best we can be and go above and beyond on our next placements! I'm just finishing off my assignment and then I'm going to attempt a personal statement, scary! Don't psyche yourself out because of the competition! You're just as worthy as them. :smile:

Aw thanks, I hope so!

And we are the cheapest to hire as NQTs as well, which will work in our favour hopefully!
Original post by Suzanathema
Aw thanks, I hope so!

And we are the cheapest to hire as NQTs as well, which will work in our favour hopefully!

That's the only reason I can come up with when I try and think why a school would hire me over an experienced teacher!
I have my QTS tests tomorrow. Starting to feel a little nervous. I keep forgetting 'simple' things that knowing will obviously help. Eg, 1/8 = 12.5% and dividing by 0.1 = multiplying by 10. :/

Plus, because of the limited availability at the test centre, I've got a 40 minute gap and a 30 minute gap between the tests [if I take up all the possible time allowed for each test]. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they might let me run on from one to the other, but I'll obviously understand if they can't. I'll just have to take a book lol. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
I have my QTS tests tomorrow. Starting to feel a little nervous. I keep forgetting 'simple' things that knowing will obviously help. Eg, 1/8 = 12.5% and dividing by 0.1 = multiplying by 10. :/

Plus, because of the limited availability at the test centre, I've got a 40 minute gap and a 30 minute gap between the tests [if I take up all the possible time allowed for each test]. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they might let me run on from one to the other, but I'll obviously understand if they can't. I'll just have to take a book lol. :smile:

Seriously, DO NOT WORRY :biggrin:

I took mine all 3 in a row two weeks ago, and didn't use the full time for any of them.. I just had to go out for my result and to 'sign in' for the next test, then went back to my booth again (They were all booked in a row though).

I didn't divide by decimals once, I would say that the test was pretty much the same as the Online Practice in the arithmetic, but easier in the calculator section.

The English test was very similar to the online one too.
Hope it went well Affinity! Not particularly helpful now, but I found the Numeracy test SO much easier than the practice ones!

Just been for a visit on my second placement school (starting 9t Jan) and it seems SO lovely! I think I will be working incredibly hard but that's what I want, I want to do everything to a high standard.

Now, to crack on finishing my assignment and my letter of application tonight, so I can move house tomorrow with less stress. :wink:
Yes, I appreciate that Assessment for Learning is a Very Good Thing, and I will make a lot of use of it in my future practice.

But having to write 6,000 words on it, over Christmas, is taking the biscuit.
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Yes, I appreciate that Assessment for Learning is a Very Good Thing, and I will make a lot of use of it in my future practice.

But having to write 6,000 words on it, over Christmas, is taking the biscuit.

I bet you any money you won't.:smile:
Passed my QTS tests. :biggrin:
They let me run them together, back-to-back, so I finished all three before I would have even started my second one lol. :smile:
Some of the English spellings were a little difficult - I wrote them down so many ways before deciding which one looked 'right'. Then again, spelling has never been my strong point, so I was never going to find that section particularly easy lol.

Now I should be lesson planning and preparing for our 'teaching and learning conference' in January, but I doubt that I shall. Yet another night ignoring the work is in order I feel. :smile:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone - they clearly worked. :biggrin:
Original post by affinity89
Passed my QTS tests. :biggrin:
They let me run them together, back-to-back, so I finished all three before I would have even started my second one lol. :smile:
Some of the English spellings were a little difficult - I wrote them down so many ways before deciding which one looked 'right'. Then again, spelling has never been my strong point, so I was never going to find that section particularly easy lol.

Now I should be lesson planning and preparing for our 'teaching and learning conference' in January, but I doubt that I shall. Yet another night ignoring the work is in order I feel. :smile:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone - they clearly worked. :biggrin:

Good news - well done! And ignoring the work that's piling up is an essential part of being a member of the profession, so good for you on that as well, especially when it's for a pointless jargon-fest in January!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I bet you any money you won't.:smile:

10p :p:

OK, I'm also aware that I'm an idealistic PGCE student. But there are a few fundamental principles of AfL, REAL AfL- not the watered-down-target-setting from the last government, that I really agree with and want to implement. Fundamentally, I want to create a good classroom climate, where children are happy to state and justify their opinions, and where the pupils have an incremental theory of intelligence, which should help them throughout their school life. I really agree with Dweck on this.

And there's things like modelling exactly what can be created, and coming up with criteria for successful work with the children (in the ungrammatical "What Makes Good..." fashion) because it's pretty obvious, when you come to think about it, that the only way they'll write a good letter, say, is if they know what a good letter looks like first!

Plus I really agree in finding out what they know FIRST rather than just throwing knowledge at them, in the hope of plugging gaps that may or may not exist and hoping that some of it will stick.

Yes, I'm aware that it's idealistic and I'll probably be brought back down to earth in the cold light of day. But there's nothing wrong with trying, I think.
10p :p:

OK, I'm also aware that I'm an idealistic PGCE student. But there are a few fundamental principles of AfL, REAL AfL- not the watered-down-target-setting from the last government, that I really agree with and want to implement. Fundamentally, I want to create a good classroom climate, where children are happy to state and justify their opinions, and where the pupils have an incremental theory of intelligence, which should help them throughout their school life. I really agree with Dweck on this.

And there's things like modelling exactly what can be created, and coming up with criteria for successful work with the children (in the ungrammatical "What Makes Good..." fashion) because it's pretty obvious, when you come to think about it, that the only way they'll write a good letter, say, is if they know what a good letter looks like first!

Plus I really agree in finding out what they know FIRST rather than just throwing knowledge at them, in the hope of plugging gaps that may or may not exist and hoping that some of it will stick.

Yes, I'm aware that it's idealistic and I'll probably be brought back down to earth in the cold light of day. But there's nothing wrong with trying, I think.

I wasn't trying to put you down.:smile: Theory tends to evaporate when faced with real kids and PGCE tutors tend to forget that and give the impression that theory holds the answers. You'll be too busy trying to stop little X jabbing little Y with a compass to remember all that stuff. Pragmatics first! Good luck!:smile:
"X, that's a very poor choice you've just made... "
"X, that's a very poor choice you've just made... "

Oh god, the choices thing..... The most useful thing I learnt on my PGCE was to let them retreat with dignity after you've wiped the floor with them. Mercifully, I've never had to use the other bit of useful advice I got: If there's a lad on the back row fiddling with bits of his anatomy, walk up and down the classroom with a pair of scissors, snapping them meaningfully. However, I have always felt prepared should the need arise! I offer it to you just in case...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending