The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vox0
Hah, I actually thought like you at one point. I chose to travel to Africa after my degree to work with disabled/disadvantaged kids. It was worth it in that It enhanced my PS and I can use the experience to answer many questions at interview. However, it wasn't worth it for so many other reasons.

Working at a care home is excellent experience and should be enough depending on what else you have done. I think its rediculous that we should feel like we have to spend money to go and travel to impoverished countries in case this puts us at a disadvantages compared to others... but such is the way of medical applications.

Long story short... do you need to go to a 3rd world country? No. Would it help your application? Yes.

I know right!!! It's sooooo expensive and I just don't have the time this year, I'm not interested in travel, however boring that sounds!!! It is in the back of my mind that I'm not ticking a gap year box!! I have plenty of other experience that is actually RELEVANT to a career in medicine in this country :-)
Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by Vox0
Hah, I actually thought like you at one point. I chose to travel to Africa after my degree to work with disabled/disadvantaged kids. It was worth it in that It enhanced my PS and I can use the experience to answer many questions at interview. However, it wasn't worth it for so many other reasons.

Working at a care home is excellent experience and should be enough depending on what else you have done. I think its rediculous that we should feel like we have to spend money to go and travel to impoverished countries in case this puts us at a disadvantages compared to others... but such is the way of medical applications.

Long story short... do you need to go to a 3rd world country? No. Would it help your application? Yes.

Such is the perception of medicine applications, by some very uninformed people.
Reply 4882
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Such is the perception of medicine applications, by some very uninformed people.

Yes it is a perception. As I say, it's not necessary but helpful. It might be easy for you to call other people uninformed as a med student but how do people who are not med students or are not involved in the medical profession know exactly what they need to do to get into med school? Its not enough to read a prospectus.

Your post suggests you are highly informed about medical applications. That may be, but not everyone else is unfortunately. There isn't one best way to apply. If a med-school writes to you with a rejection citing not enough life skills/experience and/or stronger candidates as a reason for rejection then applicants will definitely feel that they have to do something like volunteering abroad to increase their chances; especially if they already have good grades and experience.
Original post by Vox0
Yes it is a perception. As I say, it's not necessary but helpful. It might be easy for you to call other people uninformed as a med student but how do people who are not med students or are not involved in the medical profession know exactly what they need to do to get into med school? Its not enough to read a prospectus.

Your post suggests you are highly informed about medical applications. That may be, but not everyone else is unfortunately. There isn't one best way to apply. If a med-school writes to you with a rejection citing not enough life skills/experience and/or stronger candidates as a reason for rejection then applicants will definitely feel that they have to do something like volunteering abroad to increase their chances; especially if they already have good grades and experience.

I assure you I was not trying to suggest that I understand the mysteries of medicine admission procedures. The overwhelming majority of medical students and clinicians have absolutely no clue about uni admissions, unless they are actively involved in them. Their advice to applicants is usually based on a combination of memories from their own application and stories from their peers, a combination which can be far from accurate or representative.

In my opinion, volunteering abroad is evidence of having the funds as much as the commitment to do so.

So many people have done projects like that in recent years that it has become a cliche. The going-off-to-Africa-and-building-an-orphanage-with-your-teeth line becoming a common cause of universal cringing. Life experience is, by its very definition, unique to every individual.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4884
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I assure you I was not trying to suggest that I understand the mysteries of medicine admission procedures. The overwhelming majority of medical students and clinicians have absolutely no clue about uni admissions, unless they are actively involved in them. Their advice to applicants is usually based on a combination of memories from their own application and stories from their peers, a combination which can be far from accurate or representative.

In my opinion, volunteering abroad is evidence of having the funds as much as the commitment to do so.

So many people have done projects like that in recent years that it has become a cliche. The going-off-to-Africa-and-building-an-orphanage-with-your-teeth line becoming a common cause of universal cringing. Life experience is, by its very definition, unique to every individual.

Well said.

Just to add to your point about most people not having a clue about admissions - I had a meeting with a guy about my personal statement. His advice to me was to get rid of the reflection and put more in and basically encouraging me to list things. He also then asked me if there was a word limit :O So yeah, I wouldn't trust everything you hear from doctors or medical students - unless they are actively involved in admissions. Even then some interviewers don't know how the whole thing works, they just listen to a few students talk for a few hours a year. (at least thats what one interviewer said to me)
Original post by twelve
Well said.

Just to add to your point about most people not having a clue about admissions - I had a meeting with a guy about my personal statement. His advice to me was to get rid of the reflection and put more in and basically encouraging me to list things. He also then asked me if there was a word limit :O So yeah, I wouldn't trust everything you hear from doctors or medical students - unless they are actively involved in admissions. Even then some interviewers don't know how the whole thing works, they just listen to a few students talk for a few hours a year. (at least thats what one interviewer said to me)

Agreed reflection on what you've gained is really important for a medical PS. My teacher tried to do a similar thing, and then the teacher who handles medical PS had an argument with her lol.

Needless to say, I was caught in the crossfire :tongue:
would anybody tell me how the care homes work with the local healthcare services? I have an interview vvv soon and am confused about how the manager explained it to me last week.

Also does anybody have the same issue of just not being able to relate to some of the residents? I feel really bad about this cuz i know that they're vulneralbe and lonely and that's probably why they are frustrated and angry but I can't help some of the verbal abuse getting at me.
Don't know how I'm going to say that at my interview without getting a big 'ol rejection haaha.....
Opinions?
Original post by ivegotluckyscrubs
would anybody tell me how the care homes work with the local healthcare services? I have an interview vvv soon and am confused about how the manager explained it to me last week.

Also does anybody have the same issue of just not being able to relate to some of the residents? I feel really bad about this cuz i know that they're vulneralbe and lonely and that's probably why they are frustrated and angry but I can't help some of the verbal abuse getting at me.
Don't know how I'm going to say that at my interview without getting a big 'ol rejection haaha.....
Opinions?

I know how u feel, I would just say that, as in life there are individuals we don't click with but through your job you have learnt to work at relationships etc....

It's fine to say peoples words get to you as long as you note this as a weakness and say how you are trying to cope with it and improve :-)

Good luck at your interview!!!
:merryxmas:

Merry Christmas guys! :dance: :xmasgrin:
Merry christmas kids!
Reply 4890
Merry Chrismtasssss :biggrin:

Hope everyone had a lovely dayyy :biggrin:
Back to revision, Christmas day was pretty good :smile:
Reply 4892
I love the optimism of the thread title. 2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I. :biggrin:
Reply 4893
Original post by Medican
I love the optimism of the thread title. 2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I. :biggrin:

Hahah, last years lot made it to about mark IV! Not sure we'll make it that far though...
Original post by twelve
Hahah, last years lot made it to about mark IV! Not sure we'll make it that far though...

Agreed :frown:
Original post by twelve

Really?! VI? Yeah, I'm not sure we will given that it's nearly January and this thread started back in March :laugh:

Have you seen the Medicine hopefuls one? They go throughseveral pages a day :eek:
Original post by twelve

Clearly not as awesome as last years lot :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Really?! VI? Yeah, I'm not sure we will given that it's nearly January and this thread started back in March :laugh:

Have you seen the Medicine hopefuls one? They go throughseveral pages a day :eek:

I blame the presence of previous members of the medicine reapplicants thread 2011 entry :ninja:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Clearly not as awesome as last years lot :tongue:

I blame the presence of previous members of the medicine reapplicants thread 2011 entry :ninja:

:laugh:

I've just noticed the pic in your sig is very unusual... I like it :biggrin:
Original post by Quackers93
:laugh:

I've just noticed the pic in your sig is very unusual... I like it :biggrin:

Thank you. I assume you mean the gif and not the emote thingy that cz100 made me :h:

The gif is all of us from the G+C (games and competitions) forum that used to post and chat loads and met up once for a mini meet... good times.

Just checked yours and remember mentioning the qwistmas quackers thing before... but congrats on all the interviews :top:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Thank you. I assume you mean the gif and not the emote thingy that cz100 made me :h:

The gif is all of us from the G+C (games and competitions) forum that used to post and chat loads and met up once for a mini meet... good times.

Just checked yours and remember mentioning the qwistmas quackers thing before... but congrats on all the interviews :top:

That would be the one :smile: cz100 makes my eyes hurt looking at it haha

Why thank you :h: Hopefully they'll go well, I could do with an offer as my parents want me out the house :laugh: Only three months till March! :eek:

Right, I'll leave you alone now to get on with Mod-ing and all :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending