The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit out the loop at the minute, anyone know if the applications for a working visa in Vancouver opened for 2012 yet?
Original post by Rock Fan
I'm a bit out the loop at the minute, anyone know if the applications for a working visa in Vancouver opened for 2012 yet?

no
Reply 402
Original post by greyshark
Thanks for your help. I looked closer at essentialtravel.co.uk and I found they don't cover winter sports (though someone else may find it good value for money). At the moment ace travel insurance is the cheapest I've found.

I'll be staying in a hostel / hotel for the first 2 nights then the plan is Blue Mountain will pick me up from downtown Toronto. I've heard good things about Canadiana and HI (mostly from this thread!)

I wish I hadn't gone through BUNAC, which was £254 I didn't have to pay. This is the first year you can apply directly to the canadian embassy (indeed, you have to - you can no longer apply through BUNAC). Though they have been useful a few times when I've had questions, about how to fill in the application for example.

How long have you two been in Canada for? What jobs have you done over there so far?

I've been in Canada for two and a half weeks now.....stayed a week in Vancouver, then went for a 'little' trip to Vancouver Island and now aren't leaving for quite a while! Ended up in an area I really like (mountains, sea, forests, lakes, rivers...everything in a 10 km radius), in a great hostel in an amazing location. So I just decided to settle down, bought a car last week and now am job-hunting. Hoping to work up at Mount Washington, which opens this week.

I swear I read somewhere about people trying to claim money back from BUNAC, as they didn't think they lived up to expectations. I personally didn't see the use for a company to travel to a place like Canada (English-speaking!) if you can apply yourself anyway. I'm glad they're phasing out the need for BUNAC - and I'm glad I applied the year you could apply independently. :smile:
Hi,
Quick question to people who've got a visa - once you've sent off the application, how long was it until you heard anything? How long did you wait until you received your Letter of Introduction? Do you have to visit the embassy or anything?
Thanks
Reply 404
Original post by gemini89
I've been in Canada for two and a half weeks now.....stayed a week in Vancouver, then went for a 'little' trip to Vancouver Island and now aren't leaving for quite a while! Ended up in an area I really like (mountains, sea, forests, lakes, rivers...everything in a 10 km radius), in a great hostel in an amazing location. So I just decided to settle down, bought a car last week and now am job-hunting. Hoping to work up at Mount Washington, which opens this week.

Where you're staying sounds amazing! How are you getting on with things?

Original post by EatingOnlyApples
Hi,
Quick question to people who've got a visa - once you've sent off the application, how long was it until you heard anything? How long did you wait until you received your Letter of Introduction? Do you have to visit the embassy or anything?
Thanks

They're pretty good at acknowledging receipt of application, the wait for LoI is generally 6 weeks, but can be a good bit longer if you apply at the same time as lots of others! Don't seem to be so good at updating you while waiting for the letter of introduction.
Applying for 2012/13, hopefully get my visa and everything without any problems. Dead excited.
Thanks for your reply Fiona.
The IEC site says there's a £90 charge for the application. When going through Bunac, does the fee (£250 something) cover this cost of the visa/work permit? Or is the Bunac package just a job/accommodation/advice service? Thanks!
Reply 407
Thanks for your reply Fiona.
The IEC site says there's a £90 charge for the application. When going through Bunac, does the fee (£250 something) cover this cost of the visa/work permit? Or is the Bunac package just a job/accommodation/advice service? Thanks!

You have to pay the normal 90 pound fee on top of BUNAC's fee. Which means you are paying 250 pounds (sorry, am in Canada and have no pound symbol) for not much really. You're using the exact same forms to apply for the visa, same fees, same wait time etc etc.
Original post by gemini89
You have to pay the normal 90 pound fee on top of BUNAC's fee. Which means you are paying 250 pounds (sorry, am in Canada and have no pound symbol) for not much really. You're using the exact same forms to apply for the visa, same fees, same wait time etc etc.

Cool, thanks. Have you done it on your own? I'm just filling out the papers now and know I could do all the organising without Bunac, although not sure if I'd need the support for job hunting and finding accommodation...
Hi,

I'm currently filling the paperwork with IEC and I have a few questions. They might seem silly but this application is important and I can only apply once so I best ask stupid questions and make sure.

One part of the application is "Have you ever previously applied for any Canadian visas (For example: Permanent resident, temporary resident (visitor, student, worker) Temporary Resident Permit)?" How should I answer this bearing in mind I have been in Canada with BUNAC. I am thinking of saying something like this: "I worked in Canada with an Open Work Permit that was provided with the BUNAC Work Canada Programme from the 8th September 2010 to the 7th September 2011."

Another part is "Previous countries of residence: During the past five years have you lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence for more than six months?" I just said I was in Canada with the status of a worker.

Final question (for now) is what should I put for my dad's address? My mum and dad are separated and I do not keep in contact with my dad anymore, neither does my mum so we do not know where he lives...
Cool, thanks. Have you done it on your own? I'm just filling out the papers now and know I could do all the organising without Bunac, although not sure if I'd need the support for job hunting and finding accommodation...

You definitely do not need help finding a job and accommodation as they only post jobs and accommodation which are already posted on craigslist.ca which I must say I found quite insulting because they could have just told us to go on that website instead of making us pay £294 for them to repost what has already been posted.
Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for all the visa's to be issued, as I haven't got my ACRO back yet and don't expect it to be back much before the 30th December due to the Christmas and New Year holidays. I really hope I haven't left it too late to have a good chance of having my application successful.
Original post by Brap pap pap
Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for all the visa's to be issued, as I haven't got my ACRO back yet and don't expect it to be back much before the 30th December due to the Christmas and New Year holidays. I really hope I haven't left it too late to have a good chance of having my application successful.

They wont be gone that quickly... they didn't go until August this year!
Original post by ChrisBan
They wont be gone that quickly... they didn't go until August this year!

Goodie. I am just worrying about everything atm because I want it so much haha! Just got to hope my parents and brother don't have skeletons in the closet regarding criminal records now! haha
Goodie. I am just worrying about everything atm because I want it so much haha! Just got to hope my parents and brother don't have skeletons in the closet regarding criminal records now! haha

Haha I know the feeling, I jsut wanted to get it done, applied for and received. I think I must have checked my email about 20 times a day when my application was going through the process :biggrin:
Original post by ChrisBan
Haha I know the feeling, I jsut wanted to get it done, applied for and received. I think I must have checked my email about 20 times a day when my application was going through the process :biggrin:

Haha yeah, it's stupid really as I know my police check won't be back to me before the minimum of 30th December if I have worked it out probably between the days they are closed for Christmas and New Year. Yet I still sit here checking the post everyday haha.

Just want to get my application done and dusted, get my LoI! Too exciting lol.
Reply 416

As Chris said - don't worry. Although the program opened earlier this year, I still wouldn't expect them to run out until July-August time. Get your application in by April-May and you should be absolutely fine. Last year they were taking around 6-8 weeks to process, some much longer, some shorter. Mine took 2 months.

Yes, I applied independently last year and am now in Canada. Fly to Toronto or Vancouver and check into one of the 'main' hostels and you'll get so many job finding tips from other people (guests and staff)....BUNAC can't really do much for you than you can do yourself. Check out Craigslist or Kijiji to have an idea of what work and accommodation is out there.

Original post by ShaolinTemple

How should I answer this bearing in mind I have been in Canada with BUNAC. I am thinking of saying something like this: "I worked in Canada with an Open Work Permit that was provided with the BUNAC Work Canada Programme from the 8th September 2010 to the 7th September 2011."

Another part is "Previous countries of residence: During the past five years have you lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence for more than six months?" I just said I was in Canada with the status of a worker.

Final question (for now) is what should I put for my dad's address? My mum and dad are separated and I do not keep in contact with my dad anymore, neither does my mum so we do not know where he lives...

1. Yes, I'd put just that.
2. I would also say what you've put, again with the dates from no.1.
3. I would put something like 'Unknown - not in contact. Parents are separated' They shouldn't be able to discriminate against you for not having contact with a family member.
Original post by ShaolinTemple

I am in a very similar situation, my dad has two children from a previous marriage and his ex-wife stopped him seeing them the moment they split and he hasn't seen them since. He can't remember one of their dates of births, and we have no idea where they live or occupations etc.

The only thing I know is my half brother lost his driving licence for leaving the scene of an accident and my half sister was 'involved' in a case of fraud with her mother, but was found innocent. (Mother was guilty).

I'm hoping neither of these are going to affect my appication for a Visa, especially as I have never had contact with them and my dad has not spoken to either them (other than briefly my half-brother to tell him to leave us alone) in nearly 30 years. :/
I am in a very similar situation, my dad has two children from a previous marriage and his ex-wife stopped him seeing them the moment they split and he hasn't seen them since. He can't remember one of their dates of births, and we have no idea where they live or occupations etc.

The only thing I know is my half brother lost his driving licence for leaving the scene of an accident and my half sister was 'involved' in a case of fraud with her mother, but was found innocent. (Mother was guilty).

I'm hoping neither of these are going to affect my appication for a Visa, especially as I have never had contact with them and my dad has not spoken to either them (other than briefly my half-brother to tell him to leave us alone) in nearly 30 years. :/

I think "Do not keep in contact anymore" would work. They can't ask for extra information or documents because you have no idea where the person is anymore!
Reply 419
Original post by fiona344
Where you're staying sounds amazing! How are you getting on with things?

Ah, sorry, I didn't see this until now! It's going quite well - I'm working up Mount Washington which is a great location, though I'm not enjoying my job too much (housekeeping). Lots of snow up the mountain and then go home and there's none! Best of both worlds in my opinion....did have a tricky time getting home today with a huge sudden blizzard that caused massive road delays. Ah well!

I love Vancouver Island, beautiful place and I've met lots of great people. I'm not a city person at all so living in this area is perfect - I've met mostly Canadians compared to travellers, which is nice as it feels like more a 'real' experience to me (though there's nothing wrong with the 'traveller' experience, I've done that before too). I get lots of comments on my accent :wink:

It is a bit of a risk going to a small town rather than somewhere like Vancouver, Toronto etc. There is far less 'casual' jobs around that are ideal for people on working holiday visas. It if wasn't for the mountain (which is the major employer of the non-Canadian people that are actually in this area) then I'd have been a bit stuck to be honest. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest