The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'M SO BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been "unemployed" before, I've never had more than a week off from work and I'm SO bored. I don't know what to do with myself!!!!!!!! I have nothing to do, all my assignments are up to date, my folders are organised, I'm sick of sleeping and have no money left to do stuff.

I actually want to go back to school and teach or go back to college lol.
Original post by *Sparkle*

I've never been "unemployed" before, I've never had more than a week off from work and I'm SO bored. I don't know what to do with myself!!!!!!!! I have nothing to do, all my assignments are up to date, my folders are organised, I'm sick of sleeping and have no money left to do stuff.

Do your letter of application, reading for your next assignment or check local job specs and see how you match up and what you need to do on back at school to meet it? If there is one thing I've learnt on this course it's that there is always something to be doing!
Reply 762
Original post by *Sparkle*

No way - if I was so up-to-date I'd be cartwheeling around Univ Park in my pyjamas! I've a dissertation to finish in for the 6th (looking at whether social networking's changing adolescents' friendships), a poster to present on my findings thus far regarding a Year 8 class's causal reasoning skills, and I somehow need to get up to speed with 20th century China in preparation for taking over Year 12 in Jan!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying waking up and it being light outside.
Reply 763
Hi everyone.

This is a random question - don't know if anyone has already asked this either.
But are the early years PGCE students and gen primary PGCE mixed together in lectures or are they seperate?

:smile:
Reply 764
Original post by xcharzx
Hi everyone.

But are the early years PGCE students and gen primary PGCE mixed together in lectures or are they seperate?

I am doing early years & we never share lectures or seminars with the primary PGCEers. I don't know if it is the same in all unis though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 765
Original post by *Darcie*
I am doing early years & we never share lectures or seminars with the primary PGCEers. I don't know if it is the same in all unis though.

Oh I ssee!
I'm starting an EY pgce in sept and was just curious. How are you liking it - will u go into a year one class?
m
Original post by xcharzx
Hi everyone.

I do Lower Primary, is that the same as EY PGCE, it's EYFS & KS1. We share all lectures with General primary. We just halve extra early years seminars :-) Hope this helps!
Reply 767
Original post by balloon_parade
I do Lower Primary, is that the same as EY PGCE, it's EYFS & KS1. We share all lectures with General primary. We just halve extra early years seminars :-) Hope this helps!

Hello, thanks for your reply.
Technically my pgce is classed as lower pri too. So what do u learn about together as a large group - abaout the national curric?
Are you enjoying it? And do you think you will be just based in nursery or recep classes - even though its for KS1 too

Sorry about all the questions haha!
Original post by xcharzx
Hello, thanks for your reply.
Technically my pgce is classed as lower pri too. So what do u learn about together as a large group - abaout the national curric?
Are you enjoying it? And do you think you will be just based in nursery or recep classes - even though its for KS1 too

Sorry about all the questions haha!

You normally have to have a placement in all the key stages covered. So, if the lower primary course is for EYFS and KS1, you should have placements in both. :smile:

Also, your course should include classes on the KS2 and possibly even KS3 curriculum, as you have to have knowledge about what you are preparing the children for. Just as my general primary course has included lectures on EYFS [where the children come from] and KS3. :smile:
Reply 769
Original post by xcharzx
Oh I ssee!
I'm starting an EY pgce in sept and was just curious. How are you liking it - will u go into a year one class?
m

It is very busy and stressful! I did my first placement in year one and am currently half way through my second placement in the same class. For my third and final one I will be in either reception or nursery. :smile:
Back to reality tomorrow! Inset day at my new placement school. Not sure whether it's better going there for the first time with no students there or not! And to make matters worse they're starting it at 8am!

Good luck for this term everyone :smile:
Original post by noodles!
Back to reality tomorrow! Inset day at my new placement school. Not sure whether it's better going there for the first time with no students there or not! And to make matters worse they're starting it at 8am!

Good luck for this term everyone :smile:

NOTHING will make you appreciate being in the classroom with the kids faster than an INSET day.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
NOTHING will make you appreciate being in the classroom with the kids faster than an INSET day.

It's funny because it's true.
Original post by Mr M
It's funny because it's true.

I speak from many years of suppressed laughter/anger/frustration/disbelief. And from sitting in freezing halls when they haven't thought it necessary to put the heating on because it's only the staff. Dress in loads of layers, PGCE students!
I speak from many years of suppressed laughter/anger/frustration/disbelief. And from sitting in freezing halls when they haven't thought it necessary to put the heating on because it's only the staff. Dress in loads of layers, PGCE students!

Have you prepared your Bull*** Bingo card for tomorrow?
Original post by Mr M
Have you prepared your Bull*** Bingo card for tomorrow?

Dear god, do I know you?! I used to play Lingo Bingo at my last school and did my leaving speech using a bingo card! Wasn't allowed back there again after....:redface:

I WISH that I had seen this before I went out this morning, so cold all day that I now have a headache, I swear it's brain freeze... and to make it worse, I'm applying for my first teaching post tonight as deadline is Friday :frown:
Original post by jaime1986
I WISH that I had seen this before I went out this morning, so cold all day that I now have a headache, I swear it's brain freeze... and to make it worse, I'm applying for my first teaching post tonight as deadline is Friday :frown:

Sorry you didn't see it in time. I'm afraid it's a universal truth - teachers alone don't merit heating. Good luck with the job application - if it's meant to be, it'll not pass you by.:smile:
Original post by jaime1986

Good luck, keep us posted!

I'm in the Foundation Stage so the door is pretty much always open so I learnt quickly to layer up! (Thermal vests for Christmas, attractive or what)

Slowly trooping on with my latest assignment, finding it really difficult to write as it's regarding inclusion and special needs schools. I find myself sitting on the fence somewhat. I've worked in a special school and it was absolutely fantastic, I don't know if total inclusion is the right way to go, but a large chunk of the research said it is. Is it ok to disagree with that and use my own experiences? It is a reflective assignment. Anyone help?
Original post by balloon_parade
Good luck, keep us posted!

I'm in the Foundation Stage so the door is pretty much always open so I learnt quickly to layer up! (Thermal vests for Christmas, attractive or what)

Slowly trooping on with my latest assignment, finding it really difficult to write as it's regarding inclusion and special needs schools. I find myself sitting on the fence somewhat. I've worked in a special school and it was absolutely fantastic, I don't know if total inclusion is the right way to go, but a large chunk of the research said it is. Is it ok to disagree with that and use my own experiences? It is a reflective assignment. Anyone help?

That's what my next assignment is on, but I'm only in the very early stages of reading so I'm no help I'm afraid. I, like you it sounds, find that there is too much to discuss regarding the matter in the rather limited word count (4000words).

It would be useful if you could find some written evidence to support your claims, or you will be basing it purely on your opinion with only your observations for evidence. Are you aiming for Master's credits on this assignment?
:elmo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending