The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I seriously doubt anyone here will know cut-offs for biomed. Go ask in the biomed area :tongue:

Biomedical sciences and medicine are completely different... you should know what you want to study. Research go for biomed, doctoring go for medicine basically. Obviously biomed students go on to study medicine and medical students go on to research but nevermind.

You're going to need a biomed personal statement to get an offer there. I know people last year that put it as their 5th and got rejected for not showing interest in their PS.

Research in the biomed area if you want to do biomed :wink:

I think ivegotluckyscrubs meant a toss up between biochem and biomed (not biomed and medicine) - just saying :tongue:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
I think ivegotluckyscrubs meant a toss up between biochem and biomed (not biomed and medicine) - just saying :tongue:

Oops :ninja:

Still the wrong area to ask though :yep:
Reply 4962
Woahh, you have to do BMAT to do biomed at Imperial? Harsh...
My first 13.5 hour shift on my ward on Friday. That's a lot of poop.
http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/teaching/undergraduate/biosciences/

Love how their advertising picture for that course is just a guy chopping into a brain.
Original post by laurenl93

You got a job? :biggrin:
Original post by Doctor.
You got a job? :biggrin:

Hah yeah have been for a month, I'm an orthopaedics HCA and knee deep in oldies, poop, wee, tea and patients (my ward has 48 beds...)

Loving it though, couldn't make me wanna do medicine more now that Im working there!

You lovie?
Hah yeah have been for a month, I'm an orthopaedics HCA and knee deep in oldies, poop, wee, tea and patients (my ward has 48 beds...)

Loving it though, couldn't make me wanna do medicine more now that Im working there!

You lovie?

I am doing absolutely nothing, was hoping around February I could get into a NHS job. Failing that, I will just go for any old job lol. Needless to say, I am BROKE :frown:
Reply 4968
I don't know what to do with my fifth choice! Chem eng? pffff...
Reply 4969
Original post by Doctor.
I am doing absolutely nothing, was hoping around February I could get into a NHS job. Failing that, I will just go for any old job lol. Needless to say, I am BROKE :frown:

same here. at least I'm gettin JSA now
Original post by kingme
same here. at least I'm gettin JSA now

are you not going for medicine though? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4971
yeah. how?
Reply 4972
Original post by kingme
yeah. how?

I was on JSA but then I got a job and signed off. I can honestly say it has ruined one month of my gap year. I found it extremely depressing, but I knew I was doing the right thing as I had no money and no job at the time! Your advisor will keep on pushing you to find work and whats worse is some of them aren't very competent. My friend who has an offer to do medicine next year was told to do an apprenticeship even though she's told her advisor she'll be doing medicine next year. Just apply for lots of entry level jobs as you're more likely to get them.
Reply 4973
Original post by Medican
I was on JSA but then I got a job and signed off. I can honestly say it has ruined one month of my gap year. I found it extremely depressing, but I knew I was doing the right thing as I had no money and no job at the time! Your advisor will keep on pushing you to find work and whats worse is some of them aren't very competent. My friend who has an offer to do medicine next year was told to do an apprenticeship even though she's told her advisor she'll be doing medicine next year. Just apply for lots of entry level jobs as you're more likely to get them.

i just need money. and tbh im rather unmotivated atm so the fact im on JSA is the only thing that makes me actualy apply for jobs.
Reply 4974
Original post by Medican

yeahh I had a bit of a nightmare with JSA. I was offered a job at the start of the summer, but I wasn't atually working yet, so I had to get some money coming. And I was trying to explain that I'm hoping to go to university, so the meetings I was set up for about 'choosing a career' and 'getting apprenticeships' were a complete waste of time. Turned out after I'd been booked in for these meetings that I wasn't actually allowed to claim JSA because my mum was still claiming child benefits for me until September. So yeah, complete waste of time - in the end I decided that I wasn't that desperate for the money. I've only just started working now though, so I probably could have done with it. It was just frustrating applying for jobs that I had no intention of getting - but I had to do it to keep getting hte support until I was working, and even then I didn't end up getting any money from them!
Original post by twelve
yeahh I had a bit of a nightmare with JSA. I was offered a job at the start of the summer, but I wasn't atually working yet, so I had to get some money coming. And I was trying to explain that I'm hoping to go to university, so the meetings I was set up for about 'choosing a career' and 'getting apprenticeships' were a complete waste of time. Turned out after I'd been booked in for these meetings that I wasn't actually allowed to claim JSA because my mum was still claiming child benefits for me until September. So yeah, complete waste of time - in the end I decided that I wasn't that desperate for the money. I've only just started working now though, so I probably could have done with it. It was just frustrating applying for jobs that I had no intention of getting - but I had to do it to keep getting hte support until I was working, and even then I didn't end up getting any money from them!

Original post by kingme
i just need money. and tbh im rather unmotivated atm so the fact im on JSA is the only thing that makes me actualy apply for jobs.

Original post by Medican

I didn't even know we could do that :s-smilie:. Cool I think I will enquire a little about this. :biggrin:

Thanks all of ya!
Reply 4976
Original post by Doctor.
I didn't even know we could do that :s-smilie:. Cool I think I will enquire a little about this. :biggrin:

Thanks all of ya!

Haha. No probs. They do require you do apply for at least 6 jobs every two weeks and when you meet up with your advisor they'll make you go to CV/interview help classes and, worst comes to worst, apprenticeship workshops. :lol:
Reply 4977

Hey could I just ask, how much do you get paid?
Reply 4978

I've only done short shifts so far. Got my first long day tomorrow, and its an early as well :frown: I don't like earlys - I'm so slow at changing beds hahah. But 13.5 hours??!?!?!?!?!?! I didn't even know they did those kind of shifts. I think I'd need a few days off to recover from that...

I would laugh but given that my CRB has finally come through from the nursery I could very well be in the same position :redface: haha Although I do feel for you because I recon you'll have a lot more poop :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending