The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8140
Original post by carcinoma
It will not affect us directly at all, the course will remain the same for us and we will graduate from both universities and be GMC registered as such.

But in the long run we attend a medical school that will no longer exist in a few years time, so that sucks. Any achievements we make during our career will be attributable to a medical school which no longer exists, that has got to be annoying.

As an alumni all Peninsula graduates would have hoped to attribute their success to a particular institution to help build its reputation.

As for why other than "PCMD has outgrown its current arrangements with its two partner universities and due to changes in the wider academic environment and in the NHS"

But there is a lecture today for us to find out WTF is going on.

Was so surprised when I read the emails about this today! Any news from the lecture?
Original post by lekky
Was so surprised when I read the emails about this today! Any news from the lecture?

It seems to all come down to research funding, both universities seem to want their own way in terms of direction of medical research. They don't seem to have been able to agree on funding for the collaboration to continue, essentially having a fallout between the two parent universities and both wanting to go their own separate direction and Peninsula being destroyed in the fallout.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
That is a shame.
Where does that leave the truro campus out of interest?

I assume will end up on the Plymouth side of the split, with torbay being on the exeter side.

But I don't think they have got as far as deciding custody rights yet.
Reply 8143
Would any one of the enlightened here good at critical appraisals care to explain what criteria I should be looking at in meta-analyses/reviews please?

What I have so far; inclusion criteria, bias, whether conclusions match the data

I'm also clueless as to how I'm supposed to write about this
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by buzzcat

Original post by buzzcat
Would any one of the enlightened here good at critical appraisals care to explain what criteria I should be looking at in meta-analyses/reviews please?

What I have so far; inclusion criteria, bias, whether conclusions match the data

It's in my exam soon - we had a shocking lecture today, where the lecturer failed to grasp statistical significance, stating that the result of meta-analysis (diamond clearly overlapping 1, yet adamant it was SS) are open to subjective interpretation!

My most recent paper appraisal consists of writing about these topics:

The study rationale and study aims/objectives
What where these?
Were they clearly stated and justified?
Ethical issues
Strengths and weaknesses of study design and conduct
What design was used and was it appropriate?
What was the susceptibility to bias?
Selection of participants
Who was included in the analysed sample and was this appropriate?
The sample size
Appropriateness and properties of measures of exposure and outcomes
Choice & measurement/classification of exposure & outcome variables
Potential biases and confounders
Strengths and weaknesses of data analysis and presentation
The main results of the study
Report and provide your own interpretation of them
Quality and influence of paper
How generalisable was the paper?
What is its likely impact and to whom are the results important?
To what extent did the authors achieve their aims?
Abstract/summary
Does this reflect the paper’s most important content?
I am so angry with Peninsula! They are splitting up the medical school in a few years. WTF!

Its going to become two medical schools.

Seriously? How long until that happens? Are they still taking on new applicants?

Sorry to hear that though :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh man.

First dance rehearsal this evening in months and I want to chop my legs off. My inner thighs are actually burning.

I may have done it again and bitten off more than I can chew in terms of ECs. I'm now officially rehearsing for 5 different dance routines at the same time (hip hop, bollywood/western mash up, contemporary, a coupled dance and another western dance). And I am in two singing acts too - a gospel choir and a glee-type act. I'm basically in rehearsals 5 days a week to try and accommodate everything. And as if that's not enough, I stupidly decided to run the marathon again this year which means I've got to fit in training time for that. And as RAG VP this year, I have RAG Week to sort out and stuff. One day of ragging killed me in December - now we have an entire week to sort out. And I'm helping out with Barts Next Top Model next month. Oh and of course there are exams next month I have to revise for, a project I have to plan and do, and a dissertation I have to complete for this BSc in the midst of all of this. And I just signed up to start an audit this month. This basically leaves no time for anything else. Next year, I swear, I'm taking a back seat and watching these shows instead of being in them, and I have this post as proof of me saying this.

EDIT: Also, shame about the PMS malarkey.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Man
Oh man.

First dance rehearsal this evening in months and I want to chop my legs off. My inner thighs are actually burning.

I may have done it again and bitten off more than I can chew in terms of ECs. I'm now officially rehearsing for 5 different dance routines at the same time (hip hop, bollywood/western mash up, contemporary, a coupled dance and another western dance). And I am in two singing acts too - a gospel choir and a glee-type act. I'm basically in rehearsals 5 days a week to try and accommodate everything. And as if that's not enough, I stupidly decided to run the marathon again this year which means I've got to fit in training time for that. And as RAG VP this year, I have RAG Week to sort out and stuff. One day of ragging killed me in December - now we have an entire week to sort out. And I'm helping out with Barts Next Top Model next month. Oh and of course there are exams next month I have to revise for, a project I have to plan and do, and a dissertation I have to complete for this BSc in the midst of all of this. And I just signed up to start an audit this month. This basically leaves no time for anything else. Next year, I swear, I'm taking a back seat and watching these shows instead of being in them, and I have this post as proof of me saying this.

At least you can put it in your personal statement when applying for Medicine. :[s]colone[/s]:
Reply 8148
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
My most recent paper appraisal consists of writing about these topics:

The study rationale and study aims/objectives
What where these?
Were they clearly stated and justified?
Ethical issues
Strengths and weaknesses of study design and conduct
What design was used and was it appropriate?
What was the susceptibility to bias?
Selection of participants
Who was included in the analysed sample and was this appropriate?
The sample size
Appropriateness and properties of measures of exposure and outcomes
Choice & measurement/classification of exposure & outcome variables
Potential biases and confounders
Strengths and weaknesses of data analysis and presentation
The main results of the study
Report and provide your own interpretation of them
Quality and influence of paper
How generalisable was the paper?
What is its likely impact and to whom are the results important?
To what extent did the authors achieve their aims?
Abstract/summary
Does this reflect the paper’s most important content?

That's helpful, thank you.
Original post by Medicine Man
Oh man.

You never learn do you? :p:
I miss drinking and sticky student nightclubs. Oh well, first exam on Monday.
Also, has anyone seen the Easter meet thread in the other subforum? Is anybody thinking about it?

I'm tempted, but I don't really want to spend the day with a load of applicants and pre-freshers. Last year's meet (and all of the previous ones, I believe) were for medics and docs only. That lead to the problem of only about 8 or 9 of us turning up last April, but that may be preferable to the alternative of having any old bugger there.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Also, has anyone seen the Easter meet thread in the other subforum? Is anybody thinking about it?

I'm tempted, but I don't really want to spend the day with a load of applicants and pre-freshers. Last year's meet (and all of the previous ones, I believe) were for medics and docs only. That lead to the problem of only about 8 or 9 of us turning up last April, but that may be preferable to the alternative of having any old bugger there.

I agree that it should just be for those already in medical school, or doctors, having a bunch of pre-freshers may be a bit much really!

Also I haven't touched alcohol for over 3 weeks now and really missing it, I hope this is not a bad sign :tongue:
Original post by a moist feeling
I agree that it should just be for those already in medical school, or doctors, having a bunch of pre-freshers may be a bit much really!

Also I haven't touched alcohol for over 3 weeks now and really missing it, I hope this is not a bad sign :tongue:

Good, so I'm not necessarily just being an unduly grumpy old(ish) man.

I haven't had a drink since the 2nd of December.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Good, so I'm not necessarily just being an unduly grumpy old(ish) man.

I haven't had a drink since the 2nd of December.

God no, can you just imagine a bunch of pre-freshers questioning about medical school for a whole day :sigh:

Wow that is impressive, mine was the 16th December, and I can't have anything for the foreseeable future because I'm on crutches :sad:
Original post by a moist feeling
God no, can you just imagine a bunch of pre-freshers questioning about medical school for a whole day :sigh:

Wow that is impressive, mine was the 16th December, and I can't have anything for the foreseeable future because I'm on crutches :sad:

Ouch.

To be fair, the last meet was pretty much just me, the uber keen fresher, gazing in awe at Renal and asking stupid questions. But at least I was actually a medic at the time!
I've realised that the workload is perfectly manageable, It's just life, more exciting things and my own procrastination making it diffiicult. Essay crisis. Mirror neurons are quite interesting though.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Can anyone get me this full text pdf: http://bjr.birjournals.org/content/60/711/231.abstract for some reason cannot open it on the server I'm on. Will rep :smile:

I have a copy.
It seems to all come down to research funding, both universities seem to want their own way in terms of direction of medical research. They don't seem to have been able to agree on funding for the collaboration to continue, essentially having a fallout between the two parent universities and both wanting to go their own separate direction and Peninsula being destroyed in the fallout.

I'm quite annoyed about this too. I think they should offer us a choice of where our degree comes from (Exeter/Plymouth/PCMD), rather than just giving us all degrees from an institution that will no longer exist. Those who started in Exeter used to graduate from Exeter, and those who started in Plymouth from Plymouth, so I don't see why they couldn't offer to go back to this. At the moment, it seems like there will be a very small number of graduates from PCMD. The medical school was just starting to get settled and doing well, and now it's all up in the air again. Argh!
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Seriously? How long until that happens? Are they still taking on new applicants?

Sorry to hear that though :/

Yea it seems to have been a decision that was already made without any input from any of the students.

It will begin at the 2013 intake, so the 2012 intake will be the last of Peninsula Medical School in its current set up.

Latest

Trending

Trending