The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carl_senior

Original post by carl_senior
Congrats! Same day as me and a few others on the thread. Will see you there!

Oh really?
that's great, see you there!
Reply 1821
Watching last nights junior doctors. Andy has to do a rectal and the producers choose supermassive black hole as the background music?!!
Hi I just joined the student room cause I'm worried sick. Applied to Southampton for bm6 and I havent got an interview yet all my friends got one even those with lower grades shoul I be worried ?
And how do they decide on who to give interviews and who not
All help appreciated
I wouldn't be too worried yet as there are still 7 weeks of interviews left, and they don't normally contact you until a couple of week beforehand. I don't know exactly how they select candidates, but assuming your grades meet or exceed the entry requirements they'll look at other factors such as work experience, personal statement and extracurricular activites etc.
Okay thank you. If your predicted grades exceed the requirements are u disadvantaged in any way? And are people that get interviews before you considered stronger applicants ?
Btw how do they look at Ukcat ??
I have no idea about the Ukcat but, the high grades shouldn't put you at a dissadvantage. Being a medical student is a lot of hard work, so they also look to see that you're a wellrounded person who has some experience of what to expect and has other interests outside medicine. Those who have interviews have obviously caught the attention of the medical school, but with more interviews still to come there's nothing to say your application hasn't. No news is not necessarily bad news at this stage.

The only other advice I can really give is medicine is a difficult, competitive course to get on to. Not everyone gets on first time, infact many of the current BM6 and even the others being interviewed have all taken gap years, giving them opportuinites to save some money ready for university and obtain more work/life experience to bolster their applications. If it's something you really want to do then you have to keep at it, the wait will be worth it :smile:

I will also add I didn't find out I had an interview until near the end of February last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Again thank you for your help :-)
Original post by Samohamoud1
Okay thank you. If your predicted grades exceed the requirements are u disadvantaged in any way? And are people that get interviews before you considered stronger applicants ?
Btw how do they look at Ukcat ??

For BM6 the UKCAT is not used at all. For BM5 they disregard those who scored in the lowest 25% of the UK average. Just because your friend has lower grades doesn't mean they are preferred however if your grades are high enough for BM5 they will ask you why you haven't applied for BM5.

In BM6 the grades don't matter too much as long as you have the minimum which will be why your friend has been interviewed despite having lower grades than yourself. As NothingWorks has said you have ages to wait yet so don't worry :smile: BM6 is very competitive, more so than BM5, so hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. It's the only way to get by in applying to medicine and doing medicine itself! Every exam/essay, you hope for a cheeky A, but prepare to fail or have a bit of a crappy grade as you really can't tell which way it will go!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by BethaneyJ
For BM6 the UKCAT is not used at all. For BM5 they disregard those who scored in the lowest 25% of the UK average. Just because your friend has lower grades doesn't mean they are preferred however if your grades are high enough for BM5 they will ask you why you haven't applied for BM5.

In BM6 the grades don't matter too much as long as you have the minimum which will be why your friend has been interviewed despite having lower grades than yourself. As NothingWorks has said you have ages to wait yet so don't worry :smile: BM6 is very competitive, more so than BM5, so hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. It's the only way to get by in applying to medicine and doing medicine itself! Every exam/essay, you hope for a cheeky A, but prepare to fail or have a bit of a crappy grade as you really can't tell which way it will go!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks, well if they ask me why i didnt apply for BM5, how would i answer without making myself sound 'dumb' ?
also my predicted grades are AAB so i would not be fit for the BM5.
yh its so much more competitive, i can't believe there are only 30 places
Thanks, well if they ask me why i didnt apply for BM5, how would i answer without making myself sound 'dumb' ?

If you don't meet the academic requirements for BM5 then they won't question you about it :wink:
Reply 1830
So I just found out I got an interview on the 22nd bt hw is that possible thought they're moving onto the 29th? They called but I didn't pick up and now they emailed me!

So jealous of all of you with interviews this month! haha :smile:

Oh and are they still working next week, during college half term?

@Mashalli WELL DONE :biggrin:

and maybe they had a free slot, or someone couldn't make it they're offering that date first?
Reply 1833
Original post by popsiclee67
@Mashalli WELL DONE :biggrin:

and maybe they had a free slot, or someone couldn't make it they're offering that date first?

Oh yeah very true! I waited so long now that I have an interview it feels like its too good tobe true!
Original post by mashalli
So I just found out I got an interview on the 22nd bt hw is that possible thought they're moving onto the 29th? They called but I didn't pick up and now they emailed me!

Could have had a cancellation or they might have just not filled up the slots for the 22nd.

Btw, Congrats on the interview!! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mashalli

Congratulations!! :biggrin:
Reply 1836
Sooo I emailed them saying yes I can attend the interview...when will I hear back confirmation and the time?
Reply 1837
Thank you guys, hmmm also who else is on the 22nd?
yh its so much more competitive, i can't believe there are only 30 places

I can't really answer that as it is a potential interview question. Just be honest and really think why you're applying to BM6. It's not uncommon for people to think BM6 is easier as it has lower entry requirements and they are quickly filtered out of the applications. You do join BM5 anyway, so just think about why you applied in the first place :biggrin:
woo got a time,
16:30 on the 15th!
Anyone else?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending