The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3280
Original post by laura130490
I'm from the midlands as well and don't really want to move away. I've applied to some of the Welsh ones but it's only really as a last resort if I can't get a position anywhere on the scheme, where did you do your placement at?

Ye I just need to decide what I want to do. At Heartlands Hospital, in the multi- discipline one. Did you do a placement?
Reply 3281
I'm from the midlands as well and don't really want to move away. I've applied to some of the Welsh ones but it's only really as a last resort if I can't get a position anywhere on the scheme, where did you do your placement at?

Ye I just need to decide what I want to do. At Heartlands Hospital, a multi- discipline one. Did you do a placement?
Reply 3282
I passed the stupid tests but hated every minute of it. I felt physically sick while doing it and drank 2 cans of red bull just before. I'm quite dyslexic with all the right documents to support this and give me 25% extra time but chose not to choose the extra time option for these tests because frankly speaking the extra time wouldn't have made much of A difference. It takes me twice or mote longer than the average person to tell my left from right. So imagine how fun the logical test was. I have to read questions loud and slowly to myself before I can comprehend what it's asking me so yeah the numerical was a living nightmare. The shame it when I finally comprehend written questions, I answer them better than the average person. I passed but I resent that I had to do the tests. It made me feel do rubbish and I was almost in tears. I've walked away from various opportunities that required these insensitive tests but I can't think of anything better than the stop atm so I gave it a go. But really, it wasn't even a real maths test. The sentences just got longer and longer. I stopped reading them after #12 how I passed is a complete mystery.
Original post by 90minnie
Ye I just need to decide what I want to do. At Heartlands Hospital, in the multi- discipline one. Did you do a placement?

I thought you were someone I went to uni with for a second then, but she went to Good Hope, that would have been awkward! lol Yeah I did one at Birmingham Women's Hospital. What uni do you go to? Aston?
Reply 3284
I thought you were someone I went to uni with for a second then, but she went to Good Hope, that would have been awkward! lol Yeah I did one at Birmingham Women's Hospital. What uni do you go to? Aston?

Lol! it would have been. No De Montfort. What uni do you go to?
Hi, I'm new to this, I failed the numerical test :/ and just wanted to know what people were thinking of doing if they have failed or aren't successful with this scheme. I'll apply for this scheme next year, and have a few back ups but just wondered what others were thinking of doing.

And Laura130490, I think you might be Laura from uni, so hello :smile: lol!
Original post by Zoe060890
Hi, I'm new to this, I failed the numerical test :/ and just wanted to know what people were thinking of doing if they have failed or aren't successful with this scheme. I'll apply for this scheme next year, and have a few back ups but just wondered what others were thinking of doing.

And Laura130490, I think you might be Laura from uni, so hello :smile: lol!

Hello :biggrin: I thought 90minnie was you for a second! I was thinking omg I have been arguing with Zoe for the past two hours! lol
Lol! it would have been. No De Montfort. What uni do you go to?

I go to Coventry :smile:
I suppose that since it's the NHS, and that it's likely that eventually clinical scientists will enter into management, they'll probably be looking more at people who will be a dab hand at fiddling the books :wink:
Reply 3289
Original post by gazette
Agree with post above (minnie). I heard today yet another one of my extremely qualified friends failed. AGAIN, PhD, Masters, lots of awards, prizes supervision AND even long NHS experience. Nope! She failed. She hadn't practiced either. I just don't think it relates well to how a job is done, nor it is like medicine tests. It's just not the same... And I will be sending my complaint soon. The strange thing compared to last years is that now all I hear is about qualified scientists being left out constantly but others like undergraduates or recent graduates pass them. Could it be related that the junior scientists now take similar numerical tests for practice while older ones (with postdocs etc) did not? (If they had in the past, it's not up-to-date).

Well as you've said, she didn't do any practice. Personally I don't think this test does anything to determine whether you will be a good scientist, but what it does test you on is your motivation. Everyone knew they had to do a numerical and logical reasoning test, they gave a while to allow applicants to get some practice in, and to be honest, the math required isn't much more difficult than what 11 year olds learn (percentages etc.) so it really is a matter of practice practice practice until you're able to perform well. So in a way, these test seperate individuals who have put int he time and effort to practice, and those who have not (with a few people just being lucky/unlucky mixed in)
Reply 3290
Original post by Freyr
Well as you've said, she didn't do any practice. Personally I don't think this test does anything to determine whether you will be a good scientist, but what it does test you on is your motivation. Everyone knew they had to do a numerical and logical reasoning test, they gave a while to allow applicants to get some practice in, and to be honest, the math required isn't much more difficult than what 11 year olds learn (percentages etc.) so it really is a matter of practice practice practice until you're able to perform well. So in a way, these test seperate individuals who have put int he time and effort to practice, and those who have not (with a few people just being lucky/unlucky mixed in)

When most of us work in a high-demanding position from 7 to 11 every night including most weekends, what do you expect? I actually find your tone condescending and EXTREMELY arrogant (especially the 11 year old part). And as if those who didn't practice didn't want it enough. Well, it's far from the truth! The ones online were also extremely easy. Trust me, now we know about such practice tests, we'll be practicing all year this year until next time and probably we'll be posting about our success here in 2013.

I'm sorry, but the "not wanting it enough" part made me cringe.
Reply 3291
Original post by Methtical
I suppose that since it's the NHS, and that it's likely that eventually clinical scientists will enter into management, they'll probably be looking more at people who will be a dab hand at fiddling the books :wink:

One of my friends has actually been in a successful managerial position in the past. She had no problem like that.
Reply 3292
Original post by gazette
When most of us work in a high-demanding position from 7 to 11 every night including most weekends, what do you expect? I actually find your tone condescending and EXTREMELY arrogant (especially the 11 year old part). And as if those who didn't practice didn't want it enough. Well, it's far from the truth! The ones online were also extremely easy. Trust me, now we know about such practice tests, we'll be practicing all year this year until next time and probably we'll be posting about our success here in 2013.

I'm sorry, but the "not wanting it enough" part made me cringe.

Sorry if I came across as arrogant, but its true, my cousin can answer the questions, he is 11, he jsut takes a while to answer. I'm sure everyone has committments, as do I, i'm currently in the lab for my project from 8-7, then I have my actual write up and other module essays etc. to do so its not like I have an easy life!
Furthermore, I didn't say people that fail don't want it enough! Yet you quoted me as saying such?! There are a number of factors which could cause someone who is prepared to fail, but the main reason most people fail, is due to lack of preparation, you even said your friend failed when she didn't practice, yet she managed many more amazing things

Fail To Prepare…Prepare To Fail
Reply 3293
Original post by Freyr
Sorry if I came across as arrogant, but its true, my cousin can answer the questions, he is 11, he jsut takes a while to answer. I'm sure everyone has committments, as do I, i'm currently in the lab for my project from 8-7, then I have my actual write up and other module essays etc. to do so its not like I have an easy life!
Furthermore, I didn't say people that fail don't want it enough! Yet you quoted me as saying such?! There are a number of factors which could cause someone who is prepared to fail, but the main reason most people fail, is due to lack of preparation, you even said your friend failed when she didn't practice, yet she managed many more amazing things

This isn't true, because I practiced for well over a week until I had taken the test, and I failed. So you can't say fail to prepare, prepare to fail. A lot of people may have practiced and not failed for this reason.
Reply 3294
This isn't true, because I practiced for well over a week until I had taken the test, and I failed. So you can't say fail to prepare, prepare to fail. A lot of people may have practiced and not failed for this reason.

Again, i said, there are many reasons why someone who is prepared will fail, perhaps their nerves, maybe they were tired etc. but i'm just saying, the actual level of maths being asked isn't that difficult, provided you know your stuff I do think these test are a little unfair for scientist, i admit it as these are business/accounting type questions, i'm sure if the questions were similar to UKCAT maths, people wouldn't complain so much
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3295
Would i be able to work in the NHS as a clinical scientist if i have a IBMS accridited, HPC regestrable BSc Degree in Biomedical Science?
Reply 3296
Original post by Freyr

I also answered all the questions as well (I screen-capped them for future practice while taking them). Quickly, but AFTER the test unfortunately.
She didn't practice because she did NOT KNOW about the nature of them and she only learnt about the scheme only a few days before the deadline. She only trusted the suggested online ones which were very easy. Same for all of my friends. I got the impression you already said you had encountered such tests in the past (and sometimes more difficult) hence you DID have a better idea about their nature at least. We never had (perhaps because we studied high-school/college abroad).
How did you not say that? :confused: This is your exact quote: "Personally I don't think this test does anything to determine whether you will be a good scientist, but what it does test you on is your motivation." (And the rest of your post obviously). Motivation = wanting something enough and driving you towards it. So, lack of motivation = lack of preparation = fail. Therefore: failure = not wanting it enough (no motivation). That's what I gathered.
(edited 12 years ago)

Out of interest, how did you apply for the jobs in Wales? I've been considering doing this as well, as a back up, as home isn't too far away from the border. I've just had a look through NHS Jobs and found a couple of positions, but I don't know if there is something more centralised, and it does mention the STP in the job description but when I tried to find it in the NHS Wales website I couldn't.
Original post by beckster824
Out of interest, how did you apply for the jobs in Wales? I've been considering doing this as well, as a back up, as home isn't too far away from the border. I've just had a look through NHS Jobs and found a couple of positions, but I don't know if there is something more centralised, and it does mention the STP in the job description but when I tried to find it in the NHS Wales website I couldn't.

I just applied through NHS jobs :smile: The application process is so much easier, the only thing I worry about is that for some positions it asks if you can speak Welsh, and I wonder if not being able to puts you at a disadvantage?
Original post by gazette
I also answered all the questions as well (I screen-capped them for future practice while taking them).

Any chance I could get a copy of those, for future practice, and to see what my colleagues make of them too??

I was just joking in my previous post :smile:

In a way I'm not too bothered about failing the numerical test now seeing that we have people with all sorts of awards, nature publications etc etc in the running, I can't compete with that, only have a 2.1, MSc in clinical biochemistry, 6 years lab experience and a few poster presentations at clinical conferences, with one first named, under my belt so pretty piss poor in comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending