The Student Room Group

Arranged marriages to someone outside UK!!!

Why are British born Pakistanis girls marrying men from Pakistan, why can't they parents arrange a marriage with a Pakistani man from the UK? Now this really annoys me! There are ample suitable husbands/wives who were born & brought up here, why do they arrange marriages with people living in Pakistan & then bring the spouse over here? I see it as an abuse of our immigration system - something that the government needs to clamp down on; it's not like those involved can say you can't help who you fall in love with seeing as the marriages are arranged. Personally I think it's better for people to choose their own spouse, but I understand that that is not their way of doing things.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i would neverr marry someone fresh from outside the UK, and i would neverr let my parents chooose my hubby for me..suggestions/advice/views would be appreciated but i wouldn't let them choose my future hubby which i am gonna spend my life with.
i guess some dont have a say & some trust their parents.
Some people have no choice as their parents know they are doing the right thing, i mean hello u are choosin a guy with no proper stable job who doesnt probaly speak english for u daugther perhaps...im proper against arranged marriages, they are too dodgy for me. no offence too anyone btw -.-
Reply 2
Original post by Ayah
i would neverr marry someone fresh from outside the UK, and i would neverr let my parents chooose my hubby for me..suggestions/advice/views would be appreciated but i wouldn't let them choose my future hubby which i am gonna spend my life with.
i guess some dont have a say & some trust their parents.
Some people have no choice as their parents know they are doing the right thing, i mean hello u are choosin a guy with no proper stable job who doesnt probaly speak english for u daugther perhaps...im proper against arranged marriages, they are too dodgy for me. no offence too anyone btw -.-

Interesting post... I wanted to PM you so I don't take this thread out of topic and ask you what flag is that you have? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
You're starting to develop an unhealthy obsession with muslims and pakistanis
Reply 4
Because the male in Pakistan then get's a Visa to live in the UK, claim benefits, groom teenage girls ect..

Con of the century.
Reply 5
one of my next door neighbours is marrying some guy she has never met from Pakistan so he can come over from there and live in the UK and she see westernised and normal but she doesn't really get a choice in the matter unless she want's to be disowned.
(edited 12 years ago)
Backwards, xenophobic religious nutcases.
Reply 7
Because some Pakistani parents are still backwards and believe that anyone from Pakistan is the right choice. And it's quite pathetic really, I know of girls who've married men from Pakistan, then gotten divorced and guess what they go off and get married from Pakistan a second time and that flops too :mad: I don't know why they put themselves and their daughter through this because most times the parents end up complaing 'oh why did I ever get her married from there'. It really pisses me off. There are perfectly good pakistani men in England for marriage, I don't see the point of marrying abroad where most times than not there will be some sort of culture and upbringing clash.
Reply 8
My parents had an arranged marriage and they have been married ever since (about 17 years so far). They met a few months before getting married and fell in love; I don't think you can say all arranged marriages are bad. Of course, there is a difference between a forced and an arranged marriage...
Reply 9
Stereotyping much........
Not all of them do..........I know loads of South Asians who don't do such things.
Another problem is the family pressure when it comes to such things, some girls say yes to such...........but then again, some actually say Yes because rather have someone from home to be cultured, etc.
Plus whats wrong with them bringing their spouses, my Uncle met someone back in Bangladesh and liked her....so he married her and brought her here....no issues there, it was kind of arranged but he loves her.
In South Asian culture, it's just not the potential spouse involved, its the family as well, we don't see it as just the relationship of the 2, but 2 entire families, which must be in harmony, also families observe as a external view if their child is too blinded by love to see the bad characteristics, etc.

Obviously the ones where they are forced to marry them or pressured into is wrong, but you shouldn't stereotype it nor attack the way their children want to take the route of arranged marriage.
Reply 10
Original post by Iqbal007
Not all of them do..........I know loads of South Asians who don't do such things.
Another problem is the family pressure when it comes to such things, some girls say yes to such...........but then again, some actually say Yes because rather have someone from home to be cultured, etc.
Plus whats wrong with them bringing their spouses, my Uncle met someone back in Bangladesh and liked her....so he married her and brought her here....no issues there, it was kind of arranged but he loves her.
In South Asian culture, it's just not the potential spouse involved, its the family as well, we don't see it as just the relationship of the 2, but 2 entire families, which must be in harmony, also families observe as a external view if their child is too blinded by love to see the bad characteristics, etc.

Obviously the ones where they are forced to marry them or pressured into is wrong, but you shouldn't stereotype it nor attack the way their children want to take the route of arranged marriage.

Yes it is a sterotype because arranged marraige is prominant partof South Asain culture, or perhaps you simply did not notice that
Reply 11
Original post by One Nation
Yes it is a sterotype because arranged marraige is prominant partof South Asain culture, or perhaps you simply did not notice that

I wasn't talking about the arranged bit, read what I wrote, I was talking about the stereotyping of British Pakistani's getting into arranged marriages back home -_-
Reply 12
I wasn't talking about the arranged bit, read what I wrote, I was talking about the stereotyping of British Pakistani's getting into arranged marriages back home -_-

Sterotype ? British Pakistanis do get arranged marraiges in Pakistan, the OP did not say every Pakistani does. But it still happens a lot.
Reply 13
messed up
OP, I think you have a point about how arranged marriages "abuse the immigration system". I was watching UK Border Force (I was very bored) a couple weeks back and it had a few cases where this was going on. Not only the issue you raised but also instances where UK nationals were being paid to marry young men from Asia and Africa so they could get a visa.

Changes need to be made to the current system, for sure.
Reply 15
Original post by One Nation
Sterotype ? British Pakistanis do get arranged marraiges in Pakistan, the OP did not say every Pakistani does. But it still happens a lot.

The OP said and quote "Why are British born Pakistanis girls marrying men from Pakistan,"
So the OP did stereotype, he never said some.
In reality it does not, the media, etc portray it as such, but in reality its much different.
Also nothing wrong with marrying back home if they want to........there are loads of educated people back in those countries who international school and study abroad, etc.
Original post by kingkongfingers
Why are British born Pakistanis girls marrying men from Pakistan, why can't they parents arrange a marriage with a Pakistani man from the UK? Now this really annoys me! There are ample suitable husbands/wives who were born & brought up here, why do they arrange marriages with people living in Pakistan & then bring the spouse over here? I see it as an abuse of our immigration system - something that the government needs to clamp down on; it's not like those involved can say you can't help who you fall in love with seeing as the marriages are arranged. Personally I think it's better for people to choose their own spouse, but I understand that that is not their way of doing things.

hindu culture.
Reply 17
lol imagine.......arranged marraige is a load of bs have you seen east is east.
and how can people marry people there not attracted to i dont understand it.
Original post by bobbricks
My parents had an arranged marriage and they have been married ever since (about 17 years so far). They met a few months before getting married and fell in love; I don't think you can say all arranged marriages are bad. Of course, there is a difference between a forced and an arranged marriage...

I don't have a problem with arranged marriages.But why do so many decide to get their daughters married to men in Pakistan who can hardly speak English when there are tons of nice Pakistani men within the UK.

Also, England is already overcrowded as it is.
(edited 12 years ago)

flow of spouses and fianc(e)s from the Indian Sub Continent (ISC) doubled between 1996 and 2001. Now nearly half of ethnic Indian and three quarters of ethnic Pakistani and Bangladeshi children aged 0-4 have a mother born in her country of origin. 30% of all children born in Bradford are born to foreign mothers; in Tower Hamlets the figure is 68%. And the Pakistani population of Manchester, Birmingham and Bradford increased by about 50% between 1991 and 2001.

It was estimated that 60% of Pakistani and Bangladeshi marriages in Bradford were with a spouse from the country of origin.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/Briefingpaper/document/128

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending