The Student Room Group

Should the 'women and children first' rule still apply when a ship is sinking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
**** everyone tbh. I'd probably hold everyone at gun-point and be on the first boat out.

Ain't going out like this chump.

Reply 41
First come, first in is the only sensible way to organise it; helps prevents stupid things like unfilled boats, or empty boats.
Original post by kuteascake

Personally, it strikes me as kind of sexist- why should a woman's life be worth more than that of a man? Us girls are constantly complaining that we still aren't treated as complete equals to men, but surely things like this unwritten rule are hindering our achievement of equality?

Being "equal" to men is never going to mean being their physical equals (except maybe in this case: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2128219/The-way-I-look-makes-hard-meet-men-UKs-biggest-female-bodybuilder-reveals-shes-single-years.html) and I think that at least part of the idea is that men are likely to be stronger swimmers/able to survive for longer while awaiting help.

I know that if I were on board a sinking ship, I'd give up my space on a lifeboat for somebody else, but I wonder how many others actually would?

No, you don't know that. We can only be sure of our actions in such a scenario when actually faced with it - rational thought is likely to fly out the window when you genuinely feel death is imminent. And if you'd like to stand by your statement, who else would you give up your seat for? An elderly person? A child? The first person who asked if they could have your place? If you answer anything other than the third option, isn't that just as "discriminatory" as saying women and children go first to begin with?

Anyway, I'm just interested to know what you guys think; should it be every man for himself, the most vulnerable first or should the captain still order men to step aside for women and children?

Discuss :biggrin:

Children and the elderly would fall into this category, and women are considered to be more vulnerable than men. So I think you answered your own question there. Though I wonder if many elderly people would give up their place for a child, considering themselves to have had their time and preferring to give someone else theirs...
Original post by Yawn11
**** everyone tbh. I'd probably hold everyone at gun-point and be on the first boat out.

Ain't going out like this chump.

As much as it does look like there was room for two on the door, maybe it would have sunk with him on it too?
Reply 44
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
hold a trial and all die in the mean time...?

children yes... then pregnant ladies... disabled... old people (though if there the silly who i see on holiday going into the rough sea for their daily swim they can sit it out too! bbrrr makes me cold just thinking about it!)... people who cant swim (assuming there not making it up...though the practicality of testing that is rather troublesome...)

women got to go first being the weaker sex, being the ones who can reproduce, and because men were thought to be stronger better swimmers... to be honest id chuck anyone panicking onto one... (im bad im thinking screechy women here..not because it would be kind to try and stop their panicking but because they'd be annoying me ..and more likely to grab hold of people and drown them in their attempts to not drown ..)
i would also say if there arent enough life jackets... if your in a life raft you give up your life jacket!

that is what will happen on my ship... if i ever have a ship that sinks.... *touches wood*
x

Why disabled and old before men? The old people have already lived a long life and will contribute very little to society - whilst disabled people are not as valuable as a healthy male.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by like a boss
No way.

I'd be the first one to jump into the lifeboat. :smile:

you should change your name to 'like a coward'.
Original post by hannaaahlima
There are plenty of men for women to reproduce with when they reach earth, and yes there are ways by which women can reproduce without men. Artificial insemination is one of them.

You still need men for this. :wink:
Original post by winning11
who says chivalry is dead..:colonhash:

um i'll go neutral, entire families should go on the lifeboats, inc. the fathers

So us single men and women who haven't had the chance to reproduce and pass on our genes should be doomed?

I'm playing devils advocate of course...there is no fair situation when a ship is going down, I think most decent people would at least let children go first but after that it's every man/woman for themselves probably.
I don't think this rule is about a woman's life being worth more than a man's life. I think the logic used is the following.

Firstly, it is human nature wanting to save children's lives since they have their whole lives ahead of them, obviously, and the mother is the most appropriate person to take care of them, hence the mother's life should also be saved.

Secondly, women can reproduce and have other children if they are saved.

I don't know if it's how it works but it probably is. Maybe in the past they also considered the idea that women were the "weak sex" and were less likely to survive a sinking ship than men, which doesn't normally apply nowadays.

I personally believe children and their mothers should have preference, and after that, the ones who jump first in the lifeboat should be saved.

So men can't reproduce? :eyeball:

And why is it obvious that a mother can raise their child better than the father?
:confused:
Reply 49
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
you should change your name to 'like a coward'.

How is that cowardly? It's wise.

Are you honestly telling me that you would allow yourself to die so that someone you don't know can live? Give over.
Reply 50
I don't think this rule is about a woman's life being worth more than a man's life. I think the logic used is the following.

Firstly, it is human nature wanting to save children's lives since they have their whole lives ahead of them, obviously, and the mother is the most appropriate person to take care of them, hence the mother's life should also be saved.

Are you saying that any women saved under the 'women and children first' rule are obligated to look after the children?

Secondly, women can reproduce and have other children if they are saved.

Similarly, are these women obligated to have as many children as possible?
lot's of utilitarianism on this thread

it's not that us singletons should be doomed, rather decent human beings would rather give up their place for others like children and their parents perhaps?

or how about an age limit, everyone under 30 lives.

ouch harsh, if i was there with my parents/family i wouldn't go anywhere without them
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
As much as it does look like there was room for two on the door, maybe it would have sunk with him on it too?

Women have more fat and can survive longer in cold water than Men. If Rose hadn't been so selfish and hogged that piece of wood, Jack would have survived. The Bitch!
Reply 53
I think that it should still apply to children. They have a lower chance of surviving on their own... plus they have their whole lives ahead of them and won't take up much space on a lifeboat. however they should have their mother or father go with them. Other than that I think the elderly should also have priority, or anyone else that couldn't swim well, or had a health condition that would make them vulnerable. So, in fact you probably would be left with men being the main group that weren't in lifeboats... because they're the most likely to be strong swimmers. However nowadays there'd probably be just as many women that could swim well, so only margainally.
Original post by Infallible
Why disabled and old before men? The old people have already lived a long life and will contribute very little to society - whilst disabled people are not as valuable as a healthy male.

because disabled and old arent so good at swimming....

and not the whooole of society will fit on a boat... if all the healthy fit men and women die thats their fault for not swimming/floating better.... and all will be fine because all of those not on the ship can reproduce and look after the children and old and disabled :smile:

x
Reply 55
I'm not saying I agree with it.
There are plenty of men for women to reproduce with when they reach earth, and yes there are ways by which women can reproduce without men. Artificial insemination is one of them.

I know that artificial insemination is one of the method. But say that all the men were on that boat and die. Where would you get the sperm for the insemination?
Reply 56
To all the people saying it's sexist to let women go first and it is unfair or outdated, you are focusing on the wrong things here. It's got nothing to do with gender, it's about biology.

Women should still go before men because they have been born with bodies that are not as well equipped to survive a boat sinking. For a start women are usually weaker and smaller which cuts their chances of survival. Also women naturally have a lower body temperature than men, and our circulation is normally worse. So women are more likely to suffer from hypothermia. Men generally have better immune systems too. It isn't patronising to recognise that there are physical differences between the sexes.

Obviously some women are physically fitter than men, but if you have to quickly organise people into groups it's the simplest way. There is no point doing it by age because older people have already lived most of their lives, and as most people agree, older people shouldn't be prioritised over children for that reason.
What if the waters are shark infested:eek: I am a guy so if I am being left to go in the shark infested water pass me a gun so I can maybe have a happier ending.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Playa10
I know that artificial insemination is one of the method. But say that all the men were on that boat and die. Where would you get the sperm for the insemination?

Sperm bank obviously
Even though it should be a rational based decision... it will never be.

Whoever gets there first will be first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending