The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goatie
I have 1st class Microbiology degree, plus received awards from my university and the Society of Biology.

I have 6 months experience volunteering for the NHS in a clinical setting, and have been working for the NHS for the last 2 years in a training role.

I was surprised to be invited to interview as I know many applicants who have substantial experience or postgrad qualifications.

What regions/posts have you applied for?

West Mids, South Central and South East Coast, but to be honest I would go anywhere. I just chose those as I thought they covered the most positions, however clearly my maths leaves something to be desired as I should have selected East Mids instead of WM or SEC! How about you?

Edit - As does my grammar, what terrible sentence structure :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3601
Original post by ckclaireknowles
Hi - I'm in a similar position to you - I graduated with BSc Physics in 2009 and have been working since, although not in a relevant field.

I've been revising my Med Phys module from uni - the basics of different types of imaging and general physics like the photoelectric effect etc.

Does anyone from last year know how much in-detail (formulae etc.) knowledge we need to prepare for the interview?

Thanks

Last year I was asked what collimator's looked like in different imaging modalities... to me that felt quite detailed but as someone else has said there was only 1 equation question which was potential energy.
Reply 3602
Original post by kathlovestea
West Mids, South Central and South East Coast, but to be honest I would go anywhere. I just chose those as I thought they covered the most positions, however clearly my maths leaves something to be desired as I should have selected East Mids instead of WM or SEC! How about you?

Edit - As does my grammar, what terrible sentence structure :/

I have applied for North West, East Mids and West Mids. I currently live in none of these regions so any position I could be offered is going to involve major relocation.

There was a rumour futher up the board about retesting for the maths/logic tests on the day...does anyone know if this has been done in previous years.

Although I don't think I could be any less prepared than when I sat the tests first time round, a little practise wouldn't be a bad thing!
Reply 3603
Hi guys
I have an interview for Reproductive Science on 10th May.
Anyone who went through it last year or with any knowledge of any questions they might be asking? How will I need to prepare in terms of reading etc? What kind of questions they will ask in the 4 topics and in how much detail I need read and prepare?
Thanks
Reply 3604
Original post by Haleh
Hi guys
I have an interview for Reproductive Science on 10th May.
Anyone who went through it last year or with any knowledge of any questions they might be asking? How will I need to prepare in terms of reading etc? What kind of questions they will ask in the 4 topics and in how much detail I need read and prepare?
Thanks

I'm also wondering this. I don't actually have an interview, but I've been told I am first on the reserve list, missed out by 1 place....so annoying! lol
I was just wondering what sort of experience you have in order to secure an interview?
I saw a few people are interested in Medical Physics. This has not long gone up on NHS Jobs. A trainee clinical scientist for Shrewsbury Hospital.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912854364
I saw some are interested in Medical Physics. A trainee clinical scientist job is on NHS Jobs at Shrewsbury Hospital, thought it might benefit you :smile:

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912854364
Original post by dsmtrst
Last year I was asked what collimator's looked like in different imaging modalities... to me that felt quite detailed but as someone else has said there was only 1 equation question which was potential energy.

Thank you for your help!

That does sound quite detailed - and even a question about something like potential energy...it may be fairly basic physics, but if you haven't looked at it for a number of years you're not likely to remember it all off the top of your head!
Original post by mateyface
You won't need to remember any med phys specific formulae but there was a question where you needed to know how to calculate gravitational potential energy but you will need to know qualitative med phys stuff.

Thank you! That's helpful to know to revise general physics as well as med phys stuff!
Reply 3609
Hi all,
I've received a mail to let me know I'm on the reserve list for Haematology and I'm wondering if anyone from last year has any tips regarding the interview? Just in case :smile:
Also, how do you know by how many places you missed out on the actual interviews? It didn't mention anything like it in my email.
Thanks
Reply 3610
Original post by Anna01
Hi all,
I've received a mail to let me know I'm on the reserve list for Haematology and I'm wondering if anyone from last year has any tips regarding the interview? Just in case :smile:
Also, how do you know by how many places you missed out on the actual interviews? It didn't mention anything like it in my email.
Thanks

I'm on the reserve list for reproductive science and I rang up the number given in the e-mail to find out where I was in the list. They may not have it finalised for haematology yet though, it took about a week after the e-mail was sent before they could tell me and I think your haematology e-mails have just been sent, but its worth just giving them a ring and asking :smile:
Original post by goatie
I have applied for North West, East Mids and West Mids. I currently live in none of these regions so any position I could be offered is going to involve major relocation.

There was a rumour futher up the board about retesting for the maths/logic tests on the day...does anyone know if this has been done in previous years.

Although I don't think I could be any less prepared than when I sat the tests first time round, a little practise wouldn't be a bad thing!

There were no online tests in previous years.

The retests are just to discourage cheating (getting someone smarter to sit it for you?) so if you get a lower mark that wouldn't be above the benchmark then you'd probably be fine but if your retest scores bore no resemblance whatsoever to the ones you took initially they might start asking questions.
Reply 3612
Original post by Hollie92
I'm on the reserve list for reproductive science and I rang up the number given in the e-mail to find out where I was in the list. They may not have it finalised for haematology yet though, it took about a week after the e-mail was sent before they could tell me and I think your haematology e-mails have just been sent, but its worth just giving them a ring and asking :smile:

Thanks for the info! Will definitely try this and see where I stand.
I'm a shortlisted candidate (med phys) and have been invited to an open day at a hospital in an area I applied. Does this mean if I pass the interview I will definitely be based here? Does anyone have any experience of these open days, do I have to wear a suit again? :s-smilie:
Reply 3614
How were you invited? No, I doubt they will just stick you where you attended an open day
Does anyone have any idea about the chances of getting a job after the scheme? I'm a tad worried because I spoke to a doctor who had been on the scheme herself a few years back and she couldn't get a job anywhere and subsequently decided to become a doctor. I haven't seen many clinical haematologist jobs on the NHS job site either :s-smilie:
Original post by zeropoint
I'm a shortlisted candidate (med phys) and have been invited to an open day at a hospital in an area I applied. Does this mean if I pass the interview I will definitely be based here? Does anyone have any experience of these open days, do I have to wear a suit again? :s-smilie:

I got that (Preston?) and I put southern areas as my priorities. I don't think it means anything other than a chance to visit and find out more. They'll base it on your preference list.
Original post by mateyface
I got that (Preston?) and I put southern areas as my priorities. I don't think it means anything other than a chance to visit and find out more. They'll base it on your preference list.

I also got the email for Preston and I haven't applied for any Northern areas. I wonder if they'll send out details for more open days.
Original post by ckclaireknowles
I also got the email for Preston and I haven't applied for any Northern areas. I wonder if they'll send out details for more open days.

Yeah but if they do I probably won't go. Exams start on the 30th and any open day will probably be too close. It's hard enough that the interview is in the middle of exams. Plus, I went to plenty last year! They are definitely worth going to, though, lots of nice trainees and qualified physicists who clearly love their jobs. :smile:
Has anyone else's Milkround changed? I just logged in and it asks to list preferred employers. Do you think they mean areas (London, North West etc) or individual trusts. I haven't had an email or anything about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending