The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Colpejafort
Aww, I'm very happy for you! guys can be very simple sometimes and even though we may think they should know the way we're feeling at any moment, sometimes they just need a hint or a little push to help them know what we're expecting from them or what we actually need from them in certain situations. Communication is always the best solution to any problem, even more in a LDR, so when you're feeling in a low mood dont ever think it's gonna be a burden for him to listen to your problems or that he's gonna feel forced to help you, remember that before being your bf he's basically your best friend, someone you can trust and someone who is looking for your happiness :smile:

Oh I know...just sometimes he doesn't take stuff seriously enough or show me the reassurance or affection I need, and says stuff like "Whats wrong this time!!?" which doesn't exactly inspire confidence!
Just got back from visiting the OH for the weekend :frown: I have three weeks until I see him again, which usually wouldn't be that hard of a gap to deal with, but I have to write the last essays of my degree during those weeks and I'll feel horribly stressed. When I'm physically with him, any stress that I'm feeling just disappears, but Skype etc just aren't the same. Ugh.

We had a great weekend, though! Went to see The Avengers and it was SO good.
Original post by such_a_lady
We skyped for two and a half hours yesterday and yet today I still feel a bit :| and I don't know why. I just feel really cold and emotionless towards everything today ... probably because of the exam stress.

Sigh.

:frown:

I think your trying too hard with yourself. You seem to be forcing yourself into feeling everything and your emotional wellbeing is basically saying "erm hold on a minute im taking a break"

Step back and breathe - and look to yourself rather than the outside world

Spoiler

:frown: (long post)

The first part - Are you perhaps reading too much into it? Seeing things that werent there or meant? Ive done that, and so has my other half (she has this habit of thinking if i call her out of the blue thats somethings wrong and im just like nope just wanted to hear your voice)

Secondly - the affection. I know how that can feel, like you im very affectionate and it really makes us wonder when its not reciprocated as it leaves us feeling kinda hurt and abdandoned a bit. What does he say when you bring up that all you do is give and give and it feels like he doesnt.

Thirdly - there i honestly dont know
Aww, I'm very happy for you! guys can be very simple sometimes and even though we may think they should know the way we're feeling at any moment, sometimes they just need a hint or a little push to help them know what we're expecting from them or what we actually need from them in certain situations. Communication is always the best solution to any problem, even more in a LDR, so when you're feeling in a low mood dont ever think it's gonna be a burden for him to listen to your problems or that he's gonna feel forced to help you, remember that before being your bf he's basically your best friend, someone you can trust and someone who is looking for your happiness :smile:

Ahem on behalf of my penis id just like to say...................yeah your right, we can be a bit dense at times. But you ladies aint flawless either you know.
Well im feeling very emotional today. Im actually welling up typing this.

Yesterday i came back and i actually cried. TWICE. on the bus to the airpiort and on the plane. Ive never cried because ive left a partner. When theyve cheated on me and dumped me yeah sure but never just cos im going away. Im seeing her again in a month. Just one month and im crying. She cried as well yesterday morning a bit and asked me not to go. Christ i nearly didnt. Would have been perfect to just go screw it im staying. But logically speaking its madness and theres three months till my planned moving date.

Everything rests now on passing my driving test in June. Theory shouldnt be a problem, practical we shall see. but everything rests on my passing it. christ

The other reason is today would have been my fathers 50th birthday, he passed last August after battling cancer for four years. My other half has been fantastic about it really supportive. Going for a meal tonight and oh i wish she was going to be there, my brother and sister will have thier partners my mom will have her sister in law but me.................
Original post by silverbolt
Ahem on behalf of my penis id just like to say...................yeah your right, we can be a bit dense at times. But you ladies aint flawless either you know.

haha don't take offense! I know we can be way too complicated btw :rolleyes:

Really sorry about your father, I'm glad your gf was a big support for you during the weekend, thats how things should always be :smile: Maybe that's the reason why this time you were so emotional when it came to say goodbye. Also, I think that the longer you are in a LDR, the harder it becomes to say goodbye and the wait until you see her again so there will probably be weekends when you feel more emotionals and weekends when it will be easier to go away. One month until you see her again anyway, think positive! :smile:
haha don't take offense! I know we can be way too complicated btw :rolleyes:

Really sorry about your father, I'm glad your gf was a big support for you during the weekend, thats how things should always be :smile: Maybe that's the reason why this time you were so emotional when it came to say goodbye. Also, I think that the longer you are in a LDR, the harder it becomes to say goodbye and the wait until you see her again so there will probably be weekends when you feel more emotionals and weekends when it will be easier to go away. One month until you see her again anyway, think positive! :smile:

Sorry my comment was meant to be a bit more light hearted than it came across.

and you are right in that longer into the relationship you are the harder it gets each time to say goodbye. I know its only a month and i probs wont feel it go past but still..........
Reply 7887
Just come back from a relaxing girly hot-spring weekend... feeling refreshed and much more positive now! I really needed the time out. Plus chatting to a good friend who's already gone back home gave me a bit of perspective on the time I have left in Japan.

Feeling happy because the boyfriend went to the Staffs Bike Show at the weekend and bought me some gloves, so looking forward to wearing them when I'm home and back on two wheels. I was so pleased that he thought of me... Little things. :smile:

Hope we're all well!
(edited 11 years ago)
Feel like a really horrible person :cry2:

Spoiler

Original post by ktlaurenroe
Feel like a really horrible person :cry2:

Spoiler

:hugs: you're not a horrible person at all! Thats totally natural! We tend to take things like that out on the people who are closest to us! That sucks about college but I guess its that time of year where things start to get really tough! Just take it a day at a time, think about the positives, and if you still feel bad, maybe skype him tonight and apologise?

Original post by kat91s
Just come back from a relaxing girly hot-spring weekend... feeling refreshed and much more positive now! I really needed the time out. Plus chatting to a good friend who's already gone back home gave me a bit of perspective on the time I have left in Japan.

Feeling happy because the boyfriend went to the Staffs Bike Show at the weekend and bought me some gloves, so looking forward to wearing them when I'm home and back on two wheels. I was so pleased that he thought of me... Little things. :smile:

Hope we're all well!

yeyyy :smile: thats awesome! :biggrin: Yehh just remember its gonna fly by! All of a sudden ive only got 3.5 weeks left here and I have NO idea how that happened!! :s-smilie:
30 days until I leave school
50 days until exams are over
60 days until I fly over again

:sigh:

:hugs: just take it a day at a time! It'll be over before you know it!
Original post by Jellybean91
:hugs: you're not a horrible person at all! Thats totally natural! We tend to take things like that out on the people who are closest to us! That sucks about college but I guess its that time of year where things start to get really tough! Just take it a day at a time, think about the positives, and if you still feel bad, maybe skype him tonight and apologise?

Thanks :hugs: only 2 full days left until I see him anyway which is definitely a positive :tongue: he's coming over earlier than normal on Friday and I can't wait, feels like so long since I last saw him but it's actually only been like 2 weeks :sigh:

and yeah college will be over in 3 weeks too, can't wait - then I've got summer and time to finally not worry about work and grades and stuff! Hopefully I will go back to my normal self by then haha, not liking this stressed out version of myself, just trying to think stuff like if I don't get my predicted grades then it's not the end of the world, there's always resits etc. but thanks again :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Thanks :hugs: only 2 full days left until I see him anyway which is definitely a positive :tongue: he's coming over earlier than normal on Friday and I can't wait, feels like so long since I last saw him but it's actually only been like 2 weeks :sigh:

and yeah college will be over in 3 weeks too, can't wait - then I've got summer and time to finally not worry about work and grades and stuff! Hopefully I will go back to my normal self by then haha, not liking this stressed out version of myself, just trying to think stuff like if I don't get my predicted grades then it's not the end of the world, there's always resits etc. but thanks again :hugs:

Haha yeh honestly, try not to get yourself too stressed out over the exams (easier said than done I know) you're exactly right when you say its not the end of the world, I didnt get my predicted grades by quite a long shot and ended up in Hull, and to be honest, its the best thing to have ever happened to me! :smile: I absolutely love it there and I can't wait to get back there next year! Chin up and just keep going! It'll be over soon! :hugs:
Hi I'm in my first year at uni and my girlfriend told me just now she wants a break. What hope do we have for after this? Can we rekindle something over the summer? We met at the start of last year in October when I was in my third year at college and her in her first, so we've just spent about 7 months in a long distance. When I saw her at Christmas she loved me but when she saw me at Easter she felt as if some of the love had gone. She is loaded with tonnes of work and is getting stressed out.

Can we get this back at the summer?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm in my first year at uni and my girlfriend told me just now she wants a break. What hope do we have for after this? Can we rekindle something over the summer? We met at the start of last year in October when I was in my third year at college and her in her first, so we've just spent about 7 months in a long distance. When I saw her at Christmas she loved me but when she saw me at Easter she felt as if some of the love had gone. She is loaded with tonnes of work and is getting stressed out.

Can we get this back at the summer?

Stress can be a big factor, especially where distance is involved! As for what hope you can have, that depends whether this break is purely stress related or if there is some other underlying reason, so I think you really need to talk to her about whats going on in her head. I can't tell you if you can start again in summer, but just talk to her and be there to support her if she's going through a tough time!
Reply 7896
Aw, I know how you feel. I'm spanish, my bf is irish, he doesn't speak a word in spanish and although I do speak English, it's really obvious that Im not a native speaker and sometimes it's hard for me to keep up with the conversation when he's talking to his family or friends, especially when they're talking too fast and using slang or in a very midlands accent. So even though I'm recently starting to participate a little bit more in conversations and it's getting easier for me to understand them, I've had this fear for 2 years that I wouldn't fit in there, and I still think that I'll never be as integrated in the family as other members are, which is really depressing :s-smilie:

However you're lucky that you're a native english speaker and english is the most important language at the moment..I'm sure with your english and a basic knowledge of french you could easily find a job in France, even if you couldn't find a job in your field (which I doubt) and you had to end up working in an Irish Pub serving drinks. As for the language barrier, as you have already realized, it's something that disappears little by little, and once you live there your knowledge of french will increase very quickly so I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems at all in terms of forming a new life over there, plus as you said it's worth it and anyway he will be there to help you :smile:

Ah good to know there are other people in the same situation. I feel for you with the accents, I can imagine the various British accents being really difficult for a non-native English speaker! My family are Scottish and my boyfriend found it quite hard to understand them particularly my grandparents. In fact even my ex who was English had trouble understanding them :P I've had the same fear about not fitting in with the family, hopefully a few years down the line (assuming we're still together) it'll be easier. I'll just have to go with it and see what happens, and try and get over feeling like a fool when I talk! Languages never were my strong point.

Thanks for your input and lending an ear, and sorry for such a late reply!

60 days - two months. you can do it hunny :biggrin:

I have

29 days till i see her again
then about six weeks
then another two weeks and i will be there for good :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I was going to send a suprise gift of flowers to her, but seeing as i saw her a week ago and im seeing her 1st of June i thought to myself - bit too much. Ill save it till the six week gap i think would be better

you guys agree?
Original post by silverbolt
60 days - two months. you can do it hunny :biggrin:

I have

29 days till i see her again
then about six weeks
then another two weeks and i will be there for good :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I was going to send a suprise gift of flowers to her, but seeing as i saw her a week ago and im seeing her 1st of June i thought to myself - bit too much. Ill save it till the six week gap i think would be better

you guys agree?

I agree!

And I'll miss you when you leave this thread :cry2:
I agree!

And I'll miss you when you leave this thread :cry2:

Ill only be a PM away hun :biggrin:

Plus thats the plan theres one final thing that needs to be sorted and thats pass my driving test in June.

And yeah i thought it was a bit much too. As close as we are theres clingy and then theres "clingy"

Latest

Trending

Trending