The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
Original post by iesians
in many studies in article mice have been used to test something.
why may this be unacceptsble to some ?

animal right activists say animals have rights and they should not be used for human benefit.
It causes distress to mice and sometimes even pain.
Original post by Hanz_a93
Anyone know what practicals most likely to come up??

I think the sea slug/habituation one (I really hope so, anyway) because the respiration one came up in the Jan '12 paper.
Reply 4162
do v need to know whats adiponectin leptin resistin etc ??! i swear gene expression part in article is the toughest !!
Original post by nadzzdan
my guess is it is a type of scanning of the brain. I might be wrong but PET=CAT

They're not the same thing!

CAT uses X rays to provide 2-D images.
PET uses gamma rays to provide 3-D images.
Reply 4164
Original post by SimpleGirl
I think the sea slug/habituation one (I really hope so, anyway) because the respiration one came up in the Jan '12 paper.

habituation came in unit 6 this year.
so im guessing spirometer would come.
Reply 4165
Original post by iesians
ok i have a potential question :-

the article says that fucoxanthin has not been tested on humans yet.
why is it important to test a medicine before making it public ?

side effects maybe harmful and unknown so widespread use could cause widespread prevalence of the side effect. The optimum dose has to be calculated before giving to patients because overdose could be fatal and trials allow researches to develop an optimum dose for the drug. Of course the obvious one, the drug might work on computer models but may not work in real patients.
Original post by iesians
habituation came in unit 6 this year.
so im guessing spirometer would come.

Unit 6? :unsure:
Reply 4167

thanks for clearing that up
Reply 4168
Original post by iesians
why ? you have nymore exam ? lol
yuo i finished pp, now doing OLd syllabus stuff and article.
wbu ?

is doing old syllabus help much??
Reply 4169
Original post by iesians
do v need to know whats adiponectin leptin resistin etc ??! i swear gene expression part in article is the toughest !!

Doubt it... we just need to know what synoptic topics it might link into... not every single drug it names in the article otherwise that would be ridiculous
Original post by iesians
the article mentions PET ?! anyone have any idea what this is ??

PET (positron emission tomography) is a medical imaging technique similar to fMRI, in that it detects function. As opposed to MRI and CAT which shows detailed structure.

Patients are injected with 18-Flurodeoxyglucose (a radioactive form of glucose). It's used up by the body as normal glucose is, but due to its radioactivity, it can be detected by the PET scanner.

Therefore it's possible to compare and measure metabolic activity by detecting where the radioactive glucose is.

There are some ethical problems with using radioactive glucose, especially in young children, and pregnant mothers. fMRI can be used in its place if this is the case, since it doesn't require injection radioactive glucose.
Reply 4171
Unit 6? :unsure:

yea unit 6 ! whats wrong ? it is the written alternative to practical assesment for students outside UK. so habituation came in that this year.
Reply 4172
Does anyone think our exam will be similar to june 2011? That paper was lovely lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 4173
Original post by ferra
is doing old syllabus help much??

umm i dunno. you should try if you have time.
they recycle stuff a lot ! and some questions are pretty intersting too :cool:
Original post by iesians
yea unit 6 ! whats wrong ? it is the written alternative to practical assesment for students outside UK. so habituation came in that this year.

Oh..
I had no idea what unit 6 even was :rolleyes:

Could you explain the spirometer, please?
(I do know what it is, just want a recap :smile:)
Reply 4175
Original post by 19941994
Does anyone think our exam will be similar to june 2011? That paper was lovely lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

i hope the paper is lovely :tongue:
Does anyone reckon that the heart will come up at all???
From doing Unit 1 and 2 last year, there was nothing about the heart - meaning unless you retook now or in Jan then something may have come up - but for me personally I have NEVER had a question on the heart!!!!
And I love the heart!!!!

But CAT scans are able to produce 3-D images, they just take lots of 2-D 'slices', which can are used to produce the 3-D image.

It'd be better to compare them on the basis that CAT scans are able to investigate structure, whereas PET investigates function (using a radioactive tracer).
Reply 4178
Oh..
I had no idea what unit 6 even was :rolleyes:

Could you explain the spirometer, please?
(I do know what it is, just want a recap :smile:)

find a perosn to do experiment on ! lol
put mouthpeice in his mouth and advise him to breathe calmly for a secong just throguh the mouthpirce to acclimatise him to breathing in this situation
-apply a noseclip on him
-fill up the chamber with oxygen
-start the rotating drum on which spirometer trace will be amde.
-calibrate the spirometer trace to read off volume values correctly.
-attach the mouthpeice hose to the chamber and advise the volunteer to breathe in and out calmly for about a minute.
-then advise him to exhale as deeply as possible followed by max inhalation.
-all of this breathing activitiy will be recorded on the trace.
once done, detach the mouthpiese and read off tidal volume and vital capacity form the spirometer trace.

OH YEAH ! also use a soda lime box to remove CO2 from exhaled air. if you do this youll see a gradula decline in the trace!! gradient of this decline will give you the rate of oxygen uptake !
Reply 4179
Original post by hannah_27
Does anyone reckon that the heart will come up at all???
From doing Unit 1 and 2 last year, there was nothing about the heart - meaning unless you retook now or in Jan then something may have come up - but for me personally I have NEVER had a question on the heart!!!!
And I love the heart!!!!

My bet on the topics covered are HEART, ACTION POTENTIALS and SYNAPSES, GMO's and SPIROMETER

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending