The Student Room Group

How to petition for a treaty on Arms Control ???

Hey , i want to petition for a international treaty to stop the selling of arms to country's with human rights issues or suspected rights issues and to report them to the un. How would i go about this ? Please be serious
Reply 1
Which countries are bothering you?
Reply 2
Have you done your background research into arms control!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by TimHuak
Which countries are bothering you?

The UK
Reply 4
Original post by shanej13
The UK

what are the UK doing wrong?
Reply 5
Who is going to enforce such a treaty? The USA, Russia, China, UK and France all sell weapons to dodgy countries. It's feasible that the UK could ban arm sales to certain countries but an international treaty is an unrealistic goal especially when China and Russia are considered.

Incidentally why are you only concerned about the UK's weapon sales?
You know, it's actually better for the West to sell arms to countries who abuse human rights. Here's why, if you know the technology and weaponry you're trading with a state, you have a strategic advantage. If you let China/Russia trade with these states, then you do not have the benefit of having the upper hand as to what operational capability these states have. It's similar to the Argentinians and the exocet missile, the UK had a massive strategic advantage by knowing that the Argentinians couldn't use them because France's consultancy on its capability, which proved to be important at the battle of Port Stanley.
Reply 7
Original post by shanej13
The UK

This might be a good place to start http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/
Go on the Oxfam website, click on Get Involved. Then click on Campaign With Us, and that'll take you to a number of petitions you can sign for different issues. One of them is to do with the peace talks concerning the arms trade treaty. Click on that, fill in your details, and you have petitioned :smile:
Reply 9
Considering all the countries you'd need to back such a motion are the largest arms exporters in the world i doubt youll get far... either way go dump a petition on your MP/MEPs desk or put it on that website the government have at the moment.
Either way correct me if im wrong but havent the government been canning most of the arms export treaties they have with said nations?
Goodluck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending