The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rac1
Thanks v much the trip went pretty well, kind of gave me cold feet about studying french because i realised how much there is left to learn but I'm persevering. Just got back from St Andrews on Friday night, really like it there.:smile:

Very good idea! I'll probably forget.

I have a specific intention too- victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Yay!

Glad you liked St Andrew's. Don't lose heart about there being lots left to learn: there ALWAYS is! That's why people go onto do PhDs etc and then they STILL know so little about their subject! You just mustn't think about it, otherwise it'll depress you unnecessarily :yes:

Yes of course, we must certainly pray for the victims of Hurricane Sandy :sad:

Hope you're doing alright generally, hun? :hugs:
Prayer request from my end. I have the first of two psychotherapy assessments on Friday and I'm quite scared. Been waiting six months for these assessments and even if they offer therapy, that could be another six month wait to start that :sigh: Alternatively, they can do an "Oxford" and turn round and say that they can't help and send me away. If that happens, I don't know what I'll do. I really need help.

So yeah, would appreciate any prayers :cry2:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Prayer request from my end. I have the first of two psychotherapy assessments on Friday and I'm quite scared. Been waiting six months for these assessments and even if they offer therapy, that could be another six month wait to start that :sigh: Alternatively, they can do an "Oxford" and turn round and say that they can't help and send me away. If that happens, I don't know what I'll do. I really need help.

So yeah, would appreciate any prayers :cry2:

Done :smile:
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Done :smile:

Thank you, really appreciate that :hugs:
Hey y'll. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. How're you all?
Original post by adamrules247
Hey y'll. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. How're you all?

:hi: :jumphug: :hi:

I'm so happy to see you back, Adam. We have sorely missed you! How have you been. You're in, what, your second year now? How's it all going? Are you enjoying yourself in Dundee?

I am OK, thanks - fluctuating health as ever. Been diagnosed with complex post-traumatic stress disorder :sad: Would appreciate your prayers at this time, especially if you see this before 10.30am today (Friday), since I have a trauma therapy assessment :afraid:
Reply 4586
Yay, Adam's back :cute:
Prayers heading up for you TLG.

I was introduced to Archbishop Vincent Nichols on Tuesday evening. He asked after my parish priest :mmm:
Also saw all sorts of priests and other people I've not seen for ages :h:

And prayers would be appreciated for me to find whatever job I'm supposed to have next swiftly. Will be unemployed again from Tuesday :sigh:
Original post by Aula

I was introduced to Archbishop Vincent Nichols on Tuesday evening. He asked after my parish priest :mmm:

And prayers would be appreciated for me to find whatever job I'm supposed to have next swiftly. Will be unemployed again from Tuesday :sigh:

Thanks lovely. What an honour, to be introduced to the Archbishop himself! :eek: :awesome: :woo: Glad you had a nice reunion with people.

Of course, shall be praying about this :hugs:
:hi: :jumphug: :hi:

I'm so happy to see you back, Adam. We have sorely missed you! How have you been. You're in, what, your second year now? How's it all going? Are you enjoying yourself in Dundee?

I am OK, thanks - fluctuating health as ever. Been diagnosed with complex post-traumatic stress disorder :sad: Would appreciate your prayers at this time, especially if you see this before 10.30am today (Friday), since I have a trauma therapy assessment :afraid:

Thanks :smile: Nice to be back. Yep, in my second year now. I spent most of the second half of last year quite ill but starting to recover now. I'm now the treasurer of Dundee's CatSoc (find us on facebook :tongue: ). We're doing some awesome stuff up here. Running weekly Saturday Catechises sessions. Covered prayer, sex before marriage and contraception so far. Abortion is next. Next term we're going to go through the seven sacraments. Also running Fr Robert Barron's Catholicism series. Look it up if you haven't heard of it!

The really cool thing at the moment is that my history tutor at the moment is a Catholic (and former seminarian) now studying for his PhD. He's given me both spiritual and historical advice. Wonderful chap. Plus I've been reading St Therese. Wonderful!

Oh I'm praying then in that case!

Original post by Aula

Hey! Ooh, not bad. I've met the Nuncio (really nice guy). Haven't come across a Cardinal yet......

Praying for that intention then!
Thanks :smile: Nice to be back. Yep, in my second year now. I spent most of the second half of last year quite ill but starting to recover now. I'm now the treasurer of Dundee's CatSoc (find us on facebook :tongue: ). We're doing some awesome stuff up here. Running weekly Saturday Catechises sessions. Covered prayer, sex before marriage and contraception so far. Abortion is next. Next term we're going to go through the seven sacraments. Also running Fr Robert Barron's Catholicism series. Look it up if you haven't heard of it!

The really cool thing at the moment is that my history tutor at the moment is a Catholic (and former seminarian) now studying for his PhD. He's given me both spiritual and historical advice. Wonderful chap. Plus I've been reading St Therese. Wonderful!

Oh I'm praying then in that case!

Sorry to hear you've not been well either :console: Praying for your continued recovery :yes: Hang on in there! :hugs:

Oooh, I've heard of Fr Barron and watched some of the YouTube clips but not seen the whole she-bang, so to speak. The catechesis you are doing sounds so wonderful, especially going through the seven sacraments :moon:

That's great about your history tutor :ahee: And yay for St Therese! I feel so privileged to belong to a denomination that has such a wonderful saint :love:
Sorry to hear you've not been well either :console: Praying for your continued recovery :yes: Hang on in there! :hugs:

Oooh, I've heard of Fr Barron and watched some of the YouTube clips but not seen the whole she-bang, so to speak. The catechesis you are doing sounds so wonderful, especially going through the seven sacraments :moon:

That's great about your history tutor :ahee: And yay for St Therese! I feel so privileged to belong to a denomination that has such a wonderful saint :love:

Thank you :smile:

There's some excellent stuff by him on youtube. His series is excellent though! Defo worth the money!

Well Catechises is so important. And they're lapping it up too!

:ahee: totally. Gave me advice on how to get around anti Catholic bias in the department too!

I know right! I'm reading story of a soul and it's Amazing! Can't believe I didn't did it sooner :colondollar:

:ahee: totally. Gave me advice on how to get around anti Catholic bias in the department too!

I know right! I'm reading story of a soul and it's Amazing! Can't believe I didn't did it sooner :colondollar:

Oooh, that is very helpful of him! Glad you're finding ways of getting around the bias :yes:

At least you're a relatively recent convert. I'm a lifelong Catholic and I only read it when I was about 21 :colondollar: Such an amazing book. I read it online but was so inspired by it that I bought a hard copy off Amazon :cool: Plus I bought a little statue of her recently, for my prayer corner :h:
Finally got a rescheduled appointment with my spiritual director (he cancelled the last three times :sad: ). PLEASE could everyone pray he doesn't cancel this time, for whatever reason? It's almost always not his fault when he cancels but I haven't sat down and had a proper chat with him since February! :eek: And given how things are atm, could really do with his support.

He recently went to Israel, originally as a pilgrim but then had to step into the role of chaplain as their organised one pulled out. BUT even though he lost private prayer time, he got to celebrate Mass on Calvary!!! :eek3: Can you imagine?! I can't! Looking forward to hearing all about it :biggrin:
Oooh, that is very helpful of him! Glad you're finding ways of getting around the bias :yes:

At least you're a relatively recent convert. I'm a lifelong Catholic and I only read it when I was about 21 :colondollar: Such an amazing book. I read it online but was so inspired by it that I bought a hard copy off Amazon :cool: Plus I bought a little statue of her recently, for my prayer corner :h:

I was given the hard copy as a Confirmation gift :love:
Finally got a rescheduled appointment with my spiritual director (he cancelled the last three times :sad: ). PLEASE could everyone pray he doesn't cancel this time, for whatever reason? It's almost always not his fault when he cancels but I haven't sat down and had a proper chat with him since February! :eek: And given how things are atm, could really do with his support.

He recently went to Israel, originally as a pilgrim but then had to step into the role of chaplain as their organised one pulled out. BUT even though he lost private prayer time, he got to celebrate Mass on Calvary!!! :eek3: Can you imagine?! I can't! Looking forward to hearing all about it :biggrin:

Hallam Diocese are out there at the moment. Would be amazing to go.
I was given the hard copy as a Confirmation gift :love:

:awesome:

Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Hallam Diocese are out there at the moment. Would be amazing to go.

Exactly. It would be amazing. It's one of my motivations for trying to get a job. Pilgrimages to Israel seem to cost over a grand :sadnod:
Could really do with extra prayers, not doing so well :no:
finally made myself go to mass on saturday evening - i had forgotten how much i actually really love going! felt so calm and peaceful when i left :smile: like having a conversation with a friend, just in my head :tongue:
Original post by laurie:)
finally made myself go to mass on saturday evening - i had forgotten how much i actually really love going! felt so calm and peaceful when i left :smile: like having a conversation with a friend, just in my head :tongue:

I love mass so much too! I always feel so much more calmed and soothed after mass then after i go to the usual church service..
Reply 4599
Hi all,
Im considering joining the Knights of Saint Columba, i feel the membership is older generation and needs new blood, anyone interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending