The Student Room Group

Not got into medical school ? Not re applying what degree shall I do now . Nursing ?

Has any got any advice or has any got any experience of following a different path from medicine after failing to get in

Scroll to see replies

I was rejected during year 13 and again during my gap year. I chose to start a pharmacy degree and am now part way through my pre-registration year. However I quickly realised that for me at least pharmacy was second best and am now applying to graduate entry medicine courses. I don't think I made the wrong decision as my A Level grades were not good enough (AAB with 2As at AS). If I had gained AAA I may have regretted not taking another gap year.

Have you applied and been rejected this year? (I don't want to make assumptions). I would advise if it is possible (I know for many people it isn't) that you take a gap year and reapply, you can broaden your experience, improve your application and think seriously about medicine and alternatives. I would definitely advise getting some work experience if you plan to apply for nursing, it will help with the application (don't expect to walk into nursing courses) and help make sure you're making the right decision.

It would be a good idea to get an insight into other healthcare professions by asking people (e.g. on TSR) or shadowing. Go to a bookstore and have a look at some of the textbooks you would be using and see if the material interests you. Most healthcare courses involve long terms and long hours so you will need to be committed to get through (pharmacy doesn't).

Overall I'd advise not giving up on medicine unnecessarily and thinking seriously about any alternative you consider. Best of luck :smile:
I'm not doing medicine, but biomed is the usual alternative - I knew a few people who failed to get into medicine and did that instead. My mum is a doctor, and although she didn't take the biomed route, she said you can eventually become a doctor with a biomed degree, it just takes longer.
Original post by manupalace
I was rejected during year 13 and again during my gap year. I chose to start a pharmacy degree and am now part way through my pre-registration year. However I quickly realised that for me at least pharmacy was second best and am now applying to graduate entry medicine courses. I don't think I made the wrong decision as my A Level grades were not good enough (AAB with 2As at AS). If I had gained AAA I may have regretted not taking another gap year.

Have you applied and been rejected this year? (I don't want to make assumptions). I would advise if it is possible (I know for many people it isn't) that you take a gap year and reapply, you can broaden your experience, improve your application and think seriously about medicine and alternatives. I would definitely advise getting some work experience if you plan to apply for nursing, it will help with the application (don't expect to walk into nursing courses) and help make sure you're making the right decision.

It would be a good idea to get an insight into other healthcare professions by asking people (e.g. on TSR) or shadowing. Go to a bookstore and have a look at some of the textbooks you would be using and see if the material interests you. Most healthcare courses involve long terms and long hours so you will need to be committed to get through (pharmacy doesn't).

Overall I'd advise not giving up on medicine unnecessarily and thinking seriously about any alternative you consider. Best of luck :smile:

Good luck with your applications. :smile: Just from your grades and determination i can tell you deserve it a lot more than some medic students I met when I was at Newcastle.
Original post by Sam1357
Has any got any advice or has any got any experience of following a different path from medicine after failing to get in

Are you just awaiting interviews? Or have you been rejected from all 4?

I think it is far too early to be thinking like this if you are just waiting for interviews.

If this is your first year applying, why not give it another go. Family and society can influence our life decisions; Making you think that taking a year out to reapply is a waste of time and that you are better off picking another course.

If you truly want to do medicine, take a gap year and reapply. There is no rush to start a career. You'll be working for at least 40 years anyway and so it is better to do it in something you actually want to do.:wink:
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Good luck with your applications. :smile: Just from your grades and determination i can tell you deserve it a lot more than some medic students I met when I was at Newcastle.

Nope, I just studied at Newcastle. It has a large population of student medics and I met several dumbos I hoped I'd never see in a hospital.
Original post by Newtothis83
Are you just awaiting interviews? Or have you been rejected from all 4?

I think it is far too early to be thinking like this if you are just waiting for interviews.

If this is your first year applying, why not give it another go. Family and society can influence our life decisions; Making you think that taking a year out to reapply is a waste of time and that you are better off picking another course.

If you truly want to do medicine, take a gap year and reapply. There is no rush to start a career. You'll be working for at least 40 years anyway and so it is better to do it in something you actually want to do.:wink:

Totally agree with this. It is too early to give up. You can improve your medicine application and learn about alternatives at the same time if you can get a job in a hospital. I did, I worked as a HCA during my gap year (which led to me choosing not to apply for nursing courses) and continued during university holidays (a great source of income and useful on the CV). Many re-applicants have done the same. See this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1939831&page=103 and feel free to ask for advice as they are going through gap years now and may be of more help.

Feel free to PM me though if I can be of further help
Totally agree with this. It is too early to give up. You can improve your medicine application and learn about alternatives at the same time if you can get a job in a hospital. I did, I worked as a HCA during my gap year (which led to me choosing not to apply for nursing courses) and continued during university holidays (a great source of income and useful on the CV). Many re-applicants have done the same. See this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1939831&page=103 and feel free to ask for advice as they are going through gap years now and may be of more help.

Feel free to PM me though if I can be of further help

I did an alternative, but not because I was rejected, I just never thought I was good enough to do medicine. (I didn't even apply)

I don't regret doing this long detour of a route into medicine (if I'm eventually successful), but if you have the opportunity to do it early on, then take it.
I met several dumbos I hoped I'd never see in a hospital.

lol
Original post by Newtothis83
I did an alternative, but not because I was rejected, I just never thought I was good enough to do medicine. (I didn't even apply)

I don't regret doing this long detour of a route into medicine (if I'm eventually successful), but if you have the opportunity to do it early on, then take it.

Just out of curiosity what degree did you do?
Nope, I just studied at Newcastle. It has a large population of student medics and I met several dumbos I hoped I'd never see in a hospital.

Oh okay :lol:
Reply 12
Original post by lightgrenades
I'm not doing medicine, but biomed is the usual alternative - I knew a few people who failed to get into medicine and did that instead. My mum is a doctor, and although she didn't take the biomed route, she said you can eventually become a doctor with a biomed degree, it just takes longer.

This is very misleading. The only way you'd do that is by doing Graduate Entry Medicine afterwards, which you can do after any degree.
Original post by Ronove
This is very misleading. The only way you'd do that is by doing Graduate Entry Medicine afterwards, which you can do after any degree.

Perhaps its the best way to get on to said postgrad degree...?
Reply 14
Perhaps its the best way to get on to said postgrad degree...?

Nope it doesn't really give you any real advantage in terms of getting a place on a graduate entry course.

The OP doesn't want to do medicine any more so GEP isn't a sensible option, they're asking whether any one has changed career paths not took a different root to medicine.
Original post by Ronove

This. But I wouldnt go as far as saying 'any'. Some medical schools can be lenient, but most specify the degrees they accept. Plus medicine gets more competitive each year so you're better off studying something thats medicine-related rather than risking doing a degree in, lets say english literature, because the admissions requirements for universities are continuously changing.

The usual degrees people go for is biomedicine / biochemistry, pharmacy, anatomy, neurology..etc.
My friend didn't get accepted into medicine. She did biomed but transferred to medicine in her second year - but she had rang to see if this was feasible before she accepted the biomed degree. Otherwise she would've done a gap year and got some more experience before re-applying.

This is going back some 4 years but I would assume this may be a possibility.

My sister applied for midwifery last year (2011 entry) and didn't get in, but she did some experience and reapplied and got accepted for 2012 entry.

I'm not a med student, but just wanted to say its not the end of the world by any means, just a 'wobble'
Original post by Hippokrates
The OP doesn't want to do medicine any more so GEP isn't a sensible option, they're asking whether any one has changed career paths not took a different root to medicine.

(Incredible UKCAT score. Congrats!)
Original post by TheStudent.
(Incredible UKCAT score. Congrats!)

Thanks, don't think I'm anything special though I just practised a lot I don't have a talent for it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending