The Student Room Group

What should I have done during mugging?

I got my Iphone stolen earlier today. I was in my area and some hooded up guy cuts me off with his bike. He started asking me for weed I said I didn't have any and he kept on hassling me, he then got in my face pissed because I was brushing him off then he said "give me your phone", I then gave my phone and we both left.

I feel like a bit of a punk that I just handed it over and with people telling me what they would of done in that situation, but I didn't know what he could of had on him like a knife so I just handed it over.

Scroll to see replies

You did the right thing. It's so easy to criticise yourself in retrospect but you have no idea how he would have reacted if you had said no. I'd rather be without my phone than in A&E. Hope you're all right.
Totally agree, it's easy to put yourself down but you never know what the mugger is capable of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think you did the right thing too.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I got my Iphone stolen earlier today. I was in my area and some hooded up guy cuts me off with his bike. He started asking me for weed I said I didn't have any and he kept on hassling me, he then got in my face pissed because I was brushing him off then he said "give me your phone", I then gave my phone and we both left.

I feel like a bit of a punk that I just handed it over and with people telling me what they would of done in that situation, but I didn't know what he could of had on him like a knife so I just handed it over.

Earlier today? Wait what... you mean it was in broad daylight? :facepalm:
Reply 5
Well I certainly don't think you should be starting a relationship with the mugger, perhaps wrong forum :tongue:
God almighty there are some nasty people in this world
Reply 7
Original post by -aTOMic-
Earlier today? Wait what... you mean it was in broad daylight? :facepalm:

Yes, but it doesn't make a difference to these scum.
Reply 8
The safest option, the correct way. Anyone who says otherwise is stupid.

The only time i've been approached was when i was 14 and i just ran.
Original post by M1011
Well I certainly don't think you should be starting a relationship with the mugger, perhaps wrong forum :tongue:

Stockholm Syndrome?

You did the right thing OP. I assume you contacted the police of course?
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, but it doesn't make a difference to these scum.

Weren't there any people around? Why didn't you put up a fuss and start screaming and scrambling around for your things etc?
Reply 11
Original post by -aTOMic-
Weren't there any people around? Why didn't you put up a fuss and start screaming and scrambling around for your things etc?

Nobody was around at the time.
Not getting stabbed is a good start...
I got mugged by two guys a few years back. I put up a fight.

As muggers go they were pretty non-violent, they didn't even hit me, just dragged me into a deserted park a few yards away and pinned me down whilst I was shouting and trying to run away. One of them then rummaged through my front pockets and took my iPod and phone. When he tried going for my back pocket to grab my wallet I managed to kick him off and dragged myself from his mate's grasp. I then ran out of the park into the main road without even looking to see if any vehicles were coming.

I went to A&E and got discharged a few hours later with some minor cuts and bruises, but with my money and cards. But it could have been very different, I was very lucky in that I somehow ended up with two fairly "nice" muggers who didn't try and stab me.

There's no shame in what you did. You lost your phone, but you didn't gamble with your life (whether by getting a stabbing or getting run over by a car).
Reply 14
Sitting here now I might have said "What phone?" and acted dumb to the whole situation and then if he started saying I've got a knife etc. just hand it over and be done with it but in that situation you just act with instinct and everything happens so quickly anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
The only options that may have worked were to say I don't have it on me or just to flat out run away.

However I if you are female OP etc I think you did the right thing. I suppose the one thing about being a fairly sporty tall guy is that I hopefully wont get approached, and if i do i will flat out run to a busy area. NEVER EVER just flat out say "no", as other people have said.
Reply 16
You did the right thing - fighting back can end up ending badly for you.

Can you use find my iPhone to track your phone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How awful..especially on New Year's Eve :frown:
I think you did the right thing, my mum always says that we should just hand the phone over if we happen to be in that situation as "Your phone is replaceable...you however are not"!!
yah right thing to do. better to be safe than sorry, could have had something on him. hope you're ok!
Reply 19
Just to be clear, the best thing to do would have been to Bruce Lee his face. However, assuming you don't happen to be a ninja, you probably made the right call.

:ninja2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending