The Student Room Group

What should I have done during mugging?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You did the right thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
You should have resisted at least a little man. If he pulled out a knife or something then yeah, I'd see why you'd hand it over. But you just gave it to him :s-smilie:
I presume it happened in London...
Giving it away was the right thing to do.
Put it this way, do you want to have your parents telling your relatives you died defending an iPhone?

You did a good job. These people are worthless cowards. I just hope you reported it to the police.
Reply 25
Original post by 2ndClass
You should have resisted at least a little man. If he pulled out a knife or something then yeah, I'd see why you'd hand it over. But you just gave it to him :s-smilie:

It must be hard to think calmly and rationally when you're put in a situation like that.

Better be safe than sorry, but I do understand where you're coming from.
Reply 26
I would've knocked that prick out
I would have tested him at least a bit. If he did have a knife, he would never immediately stab you, he would get it out and then ask you for your phone again,then you could give it him. I think what you did makes it too easy for him, all he has done is asked you for your phone.
Reply 28
I usually have a cheap £10 in the same pocket my iphone is in. So when a mugger asks for my phone, I just give him the cheap one and be on my way.
Reply 29
Original post by M1011
Just to be clear, the best thing to do would have been to Bruce Lee his face. However, assuming you don't happen to be a ninja, you probably made the right call.

:ninja2:

Actually at ninjustu classes they teach the ninjas to hand their phones over rather than start a fight and risk a stabbing :biggrin:
You did the right thing. Phones can be bought again unlike life.
Reply 31
Why not just run away? Provided your not slow, you should have no trouble getting away. I think giving the phone away was really dumb
I think I might have waited for him to say something/indicate that he had a weapon rather than just hand it to him. Only because they'll tend to try to threaten without injuring as they don't want any more trouble, he probably got an easy phone right there without even having a weapon.

However, there's no shame in doing what you did. At the end of the day they are replaceable and that's the main thing
Original post by Namige
I usually have a cheap £10 in the same pocket my iphone is in. So when a mugger asks for my phone, I just give him the cheap one and be on my way.

Heh funny story back when I had a crappy nokia in secondary school when others started to get better phones I had some guy try to mug me. Approaches me, I can tell what he's going to try, says "oi mate what phone do you have?", I won't pretend I'd have been able to take him so I pull my phone out and he goes "man that's a **** phone..swear if I had something better on me I'd give it ya..forget it man." and walks off, poor nokia, so **** it's not even got mugging value.

But I do something similar with cards. If I'm somewhere at night where I don't know the area I stick my debit card in my inside coat pocket. So at least if someone mugs me for it, they only get cash (and I don't carry much cash).
(edited 11 years ago)
I feel bad for you, but please tell me you didn't get robbed in broad daylight?:confused:
Its TSR... People would have said you did well if you pissed your pants.... You should have had a bit more of an attitude. You made it too easy for him, you should have confronted him up until he pulled a knife or gun at you. Ask yourself, if it happen again in a weeks time, would you do the same??
He was on a bike, you just had to scream help and he would have disappeared.

Ps. dont count responses from girls. If they were in the same situation they wouldnt have (at least the majority) fought.

Pps. Negs make me cry
Lol last time someone asked me for my phone, I showed him crappy £10 Nokia from tesco, I was like 'here you go mate', he then took it for a brief moment and said 'nah forget it you can have it back.'

Try that next time. Or, try what some other TSR members have said before- give them the phone but ask for the sim card back. Then claim a new phone under warranty or just use the app to find it.

Sorry OP, don't fret about it. Better safe than sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh yeh, he didnt even know you had a phone on you.... why didnt you just lie? Good thing he didnt ask for a grand, you would have gone out of your way to give it to him.
Reply 38
You make taking iPhones sound so easy. I might aswell try this myself.
Reply 39
Original post by anonymous
i got my iphone stolen earlier today. I was in my area and some hooded up guy cuts me off with his bike. He started asking me for weed i said i didn't have any and he kept on hassling me, he then got in my face pissed because i was brushing him off then he said "give me your phone", i then gave my phone and we both left.

I feel like a bit of a punk that i just handed it over and with people telling me what they would of done in that situation, but i didn't know what he could of had on him like a knife so i just handed it over.

just

GET THE **** OUT OF MY WAY BITCH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending